Back in the day, when I was a Cubmaster, one of my biggest headaches was trying to establish dens after a school night. The district guy would show up, give a wonderful pitch, collect the money and apps and then leave. Then my phone would start ringing..."we paid our money, when are the meetings going to start?" My reply, "they won't start until we find a den leader...what night would be good for them to meet at your house?" The one that got me was the lady who, in all seriousness, replied, "Oh, I couldn't possibly be a Scout leader...I WORK full time!" Then there was the lady who thought that being a Cubmaster was my full time job and demanded to speak to my supervisor. So I put my wife on the phone.

If the problem with the lack of volunteers was one of culture, then why do some units always seem to have an abundance of adult volunteers and some never have near enough?

As a cubmaster we grew rapidly from a pack of barely thirty to just shy of 10O. we had nearly 40 trained and uniformed leaders and committee members. Yet a pack just a few blocks away with 40 cubs never had enough adults for every den and the leaders doubled on committee. There was no demographic difference between us. The difference was method of selecting leaders.

They begged gatherings of parents for help. We invited individuals to come play with us.

I doubt the problem is any different in most communities. The problem is not with people not wanting to help. The key is people want to feel wanted.

Don't ask for help, and certainly don't beg for warm bodies, invite individuals. There is a very helpful resource offered for free by your local scout service center that teaches you how to select QUALITY leaders. I have never seen a unit use it and not succeed in recruiting the help they wanted.

All of the leaders we got in our pack, we got using Bob White's and the BSA's method.

Specific invitations work. Begging, guilt trips, group invites, etc. don't.

Does this mean we had all the leaders we needed? Nope. None of our DLs had an assistant (but we made sure they all had Den Aides and we tried to keep the dens managable), and we had a heck of a time recruiting a new ACM to help the new CM as the old one rotated out.

Of course, neither did we have a big happy pack nearby. Most of us in this part of town were in the same boat.

My 4'9" stick of TNT mother was the greatest at this. When a parent would tell her they "didn't have the time to do something she needed done she would very sweetly put her hand on their arm, smile her most endearing smile, look them straight in the eyes and say. "I am so sorry you don't have time to give to your child. Maybe if we check with some of the charity groups we can find someone that can spare an hour or so a week to help your child." Guess what she never didn't get what she wanted.

Yes it is harder today. More parents work, more single parent homes. But know something. In all my years of working with scouting I have yet to have a parent refuse to help in some way. Granted there is one now that I never ask simply because I don't want them anywhere near any of these boys. If it were up to me their son would be removed from the home. But that is a totally different story.

There are times that a parent can't do everything we need. But we can ask them to do refreshments, or bring newspapers for a project. Little things.

ONce you get them accustom to helping then they will be willing to do more.

The one thing I have learned was to ask parents to do a specific task rather than abstractly say we need you to help.

Seems like the obvious but it took me couple of years to learn.

ronvo

And that's a perfect example of how the BSA helps units to succeed through the development of a lot of excellent support materials based on nearly 100 years of scouting experience.

Rather than have to wait two years to discover such an effective tool of directly asking the specific people with specific skills to do specific jobs, a volunteer can read a 4 page brochure that has been available for decades, or attend New Leader Essentials course where how to select and recruit volunteers is taught within the first 90 minutes of your basic leader training.

There is a BSA resource available to solve or avoid nearly every hurdle a leader might face in scouting. The other benefit is that they interlock with other BSA policies and procedures to create a more interwoven and inter-related program.

• 3 weeks later...

I', glad to have the opportunity to agree with Bob White that using the recommended Scout method of deciding who the best person for a job may be and then inviting him to do it is the best method.

This avoids the problem of having the wrong person volunteering to do jobs they aren't good at doing.

I was asked to organize training for unit leaders in conducting fall recruiting. The DE suggested a few people to help, and most of those agreed to do so when asked, although they were experienced leaders ---no big deal there..

The DE also suggested I find someone in the Cub Pack for which I'm Unit Commissioner to help out. At the Pack Committee meeting, I asked for the names of some likely parents for me to call, but the Pack leaders thought that parents had been asked enough.

"Asking" consisted of pleading e-mails to parents asking for help. For example, prior to the June Pack Overnight, such an e-mail went out asking for parents to assist with the Pack Overnight. None turned up, so the three Pack leaders (and I) did the work.

Well, I don't know all that many of the parents of the Cub Scouts, but I knew one. So I called him and asked him to help me. He agreed. So his first role as a Scout Leader is helping to organize a District level event. Being sneaky, I assigned him to call this same Pack to get the Pack leaders to get trained in recruiting. The Cubmaster promptly recruitied that volunteer again, this time to help the Pack in recruiting.

But I'm selling this training as a way for Pack leaders to recruit new adults as leaders in recruiting and then help the pack plan and conduct recruiting this fall. So I suggested to the Cubmaster that he find one or two additional parents and invite them to attend the training.

I got the e-mail from him a few days ago --- another shotgun request to help.

You'd think they'd learn. And in most respects, the Cubmaster is an excellent leader who took Woodbadge this spring. I give out copies of the Scout recommended methods for recruiting adult leaders every other committee meeting or so, but they don't want to do the job.

Seattle Pioneer

Seattle Pioneer

Appreciate the leaders you have.

I've seen some units where the SM refuses to delegate even though he is far too overworked to do his job well. The result is a large number of the trained leaders have checked out along with the older scouts.

Much of this could be avoided if the SM allowed others to have jobs and didn't interfere while they are trying to do them. He could work through the SPL to send messages to the troop instead of sending them himself. This would empower the SPL and relieve more of his workload. If we suggest this to him, he gets defensive and supercritical.

After about 3 years of this kind of organization, I ask myself "Why bother"? I'm sure I could do other things with the district or council but this unit has created a bit of burnout.

Any suggestions?

Could someone please provide a little more information on the brochure that describes good practices for getting volunteer help? Like ronvo, I've been through a number of leader training classes, and it's never been mentioned that I'm aware of. Sounds like a very helpful piece of information that could save some time while learning what works and what doesn't. Sounds like we've all tried the same routines.

I doubt that there is a single 'formula' for attracting volunteers. It will depend on the makeup of the community and nebulous factors relating to attitudes, lifestyle, etc. If this unit needs volunteers all it takes is an open appeal to fill the need. If anything we have so many volunteers that such occasions rarely occur. Therefore, many of the potential volunteers take for granted that they are not needed. It is a sort of negative feedback effect but easily overcome.

When I taught this, I used the '6P' format...

1.) Plan the Pack. Know what jobs you need. Get job descriptions written up (but not in stone!) Set caps on terms whenever possible (this is often defined by the job- a Pinewood chairperson might only be a 4 month job, while we asked for 2 years for DLs, CCs and CMs.

2.) Prepare and Preselect. Within your brainstorming circle, figure out who would work best in which positions. Why? Who has the best rapport and would be best to ask the target the big question? At some point, let the pack know that you are working on finding good people for the positions that are available. This is an FYI only- DO NOT try to ask for volunteers at this stage- no guilt trips, no pressures, nothing. Sometimes you'll get lucky and an interested parent will see you after the meeting to offer their services!

3.) Pitch the Proposals. Contact your selected targets. Tell them:

- About the job

- Why you think they would be perfect for the job

- EXACTLY what the job entails, time, costs, training, etc.

- Be sure to explain the importance of the job to the pack as a whole- put the job in context.

One big goal here is NO SURPRISES. We do NOT want the person to say OK only to back out the next week when they learn about something we neglected to share. Also- BE SURE to let them know WHY you want THEM in the job- too their horn a bit, build them up- make them feel good.

4.) Percolate and Ponder. This is a tough step. In most cases, DO NOT press for an answer right away. Give them at least a couple days to think about it. Make an appointment to contact them at a convenient date for an answer. Thank them for listening and walk away. The thing here is that you want people who are committed because they WANT to help, not because they feel pressured or guilted into it, and this helps ensure the correct low pressure tone.

5.) Praise and Place. If they say yes, make a big deal about it at the next meeting, publically recognize and thank them. Also, get them trained ASAP and do what you need to get them into the position and running. They shold feel confident, cared for, and a part of the pack- not smothered or rushed, nor left to sink or swim.

6.) Prop and Preplan. Once a person is in place, treat them well. Treating them well goes a long way to make it easier to recruit the next person. Also, begin thinking about this person's replacement. It may seem early, but you never know what can happen. Try to encourage each person to have replacement in mind if something happens, or for them to mentor for next year.

• 6 years later...

Prairie_Scouter writes:

At the time Scouting was started in the U.S., we were still primarily a rural country, although this was already changing. People were used to doing things outside, and building a program around outdoors activities fit in with this pretty well. Now, we are primarily an urban society. Things like camping are still popular, but more of a niche activity, I think.

Society in general as we used to know it is long gone!

Remember way back when..in the 80's and early 90's? As opposed to way, way back when which was the 60's and 70's.

When I grew up, I did not have a room full of toys. I had a few legos or erector sets ( remember all the steel girders and nuts and bolts?) and some comics. I had about 12 model helicopters and planbes I put together and maybe a paint by number painting on the wall. Everything else I did revolved around outside. Bicycle, baseball and bat, couple frisbees, soccerball, and two chinese throwing stars and a machete.

Yeah, I'm not totally sure mom and dad knew about the stars and machete...but I still have all my fingers, toes and both eyes...so maybe I was lucky.

My friend had almost every know toy at the time since him mom and dad were divorced. Dad was using gifts to replace the time away.

He had a 13 B&W tv set with rabbit ears and an Atari 2600 video console hooked up to iyt.

The only time we used it was when it was too cold or raining outside.

If we were bad, we got our butts handed to us wether at school or at home.

Mouthing off, sassing or even putting too much roll in rolling your eyes got you whacked! :)

If you were bad in school and got the paddle, you got it again when you got home.

Mom and dad did not threatren to sue the entire state over a paddling.

People took responcibility for their own screw ups, Everybody understood that they had a responcibility to work, fed and provide food clothing and shelter for their own families .

People paid the bills, bought the essentials and planned fror bad times beforte wasting on frivolous stuff.

Man, I could write 13 pages of stuff and only tell rthe tip of the iceburge of what is going on.

Granted, I think alot of parents are more personally involved with what their kids do now, but so involved that they are more like personal assistants or body guards than parents who let their kids experience stuff.

Nobody can stand the fact that their kid might make a mistake or fail at something or anything.

Every child has to be on a pedistal and be soo darn gushed and googled over. Everybody has to just feel 100 happy ass and no tears or bad feelings.

Parents today do not recognize that being bored is not a dysfunctuion or torture.

Bordom is a key ingerdiet to self support and thinking and exploration.

Parents cannot volunteer because they either have to lift a finger and take responcibility or they might miss out on three seconds of protecting their child from having less than 100 percent positive feelings about themselves.

Now let's everybody stand up and pass out participation trophies..but remember, there is no number 1 - because we are all winners!

I'd say more, but my son might need my help his video game.

:)

US Forest Service Visitors Report released: People love their National Forests

Written on August 12, 2011 by Sarah McIntyre in News

This week, the US Forest Service released their National Visitor Use Monitoring report, illustrating the value that our national forests provide to both recreational visitors and the economic impact they have on nearby communities. In the past year, our national forests attracted 170.8 million visitors, sustained 223,000 jobs in rural communities, and helped to contribute $14.5 billion to the US economy.

About the report, Forest Service Chief Tom Tidwell says, This data shows once again just what a boon our forests are to local economies. Because of forest activities, thousands of jobs are supported in hundreds of rural communities. We are proud of helping to put a paycheck into the pockets of so many hardworking Americans. As the land of many uses, national forests not only contribute to our economy, but also provide economic relief for visitors. Less than half of the 17,000 Forest Services developed sites charge a fee to visitors.

Last year, the Forest Service interviewed 44,700 visitors to national forests, and found that approximately 94% of those surveyed were happy with their experience of the national forests. Thats probably not a surprise to many, as the national forests provide a place where we can enjoy our favorite outdoor activities, whether it be hiking, skiing, camping, or backpacking.

Other facts gleaned from the report:

Recreation activities help to sustain 223,000 jobs in the rural communities within 50 miles of the national forests and grasslands, thanks to visitors that purchase goods and services.

Visitors spend $13 billion directly in those communities within 50 miles of the national forests and grasslands.

For those that do have to pay fees to access national forest lands, approximately 83% are content with the value received.

Almost 95 million visitors (over 55%) visit a national forest to engage in an recreational activity.

http://www.dailyhiker.com/news/forest-service-visitors-report-released-people-love-their-national-forests/