Question on Community Service

A couple of the boys in our troop helped with Cub Scout day camp. We're aware that community service (for Eagle project anyway) is to be outside the organization of Boy Scouts. So, the question is: Do the hours helping with Cub camp count on the six total with these boys at Star level? Thanks for any help.

Thanks! It's not actually my boys that got to help at Cub Camp though it's a great idea to help out.

The question just came up, and I knew of the boards here and figured someone would know the answer on that. Our Scoutmaster is new, and he said he wasn't sure on that. We asked a couple of other older Scouters. Everyone was just saying: Hum. Not sure on that. The thought seemed to be that it would be good for it to count but everyone wanting to make sure.

We do a lot of community service anyway (homeless shelter, dog pound, parks, church), but it seemed like Cub Camp work would count. Then, folks weren't sure including the Scoutmaster. So, I just said that I'd ask online and see if anyone knew about that. Hours for all boys are probably over 6 even without counting camp. But, if it came close, everyone wanted to be sure.

Thank you for the help.

Gardener, welcome. Cub camp just finished here, and several boys from this troop served on staff all week as volunteers, each working 35 hours. The SM does count these hours, and the camp program director sends a certificate to each boy confirming his hours and thanking him for serving.

Thanks for the input. The boys were volunteers and worked hard at the Cub camp. They pitch in on other projects too. I've been quite impressed with the projects and the hard work they've done. The guys seem to have more fun working than just goofing around.

We're all pretty new to Scouting and have questions now and then about details. I like to read and research, so the boys and other parents and SM often ask if I know or can find out on things.

I'll pass along what you shared.

I hope the Cub Camp gives certificates as well. I know the boys would feel good about being recognized. The Red Cross sent a thank you letter which they enjoyed reading at a meeting.

The only time that Scout property is mentioned as not a proper place to qualify service hours is for the Eagle project. Scout camps and scout sponsored events are great places to do service. I know our camps would be in poor shape if it wasn't for countless hours of service that scouts, scouters and other volunteers give throughout the year. I have been at summer camps that have a portion of "tribe of whatever" award an hour of service in camp during the week. It makes an easy way to sign off that requirement quickly for new scouts.

Our troop has always counted time served helping younger Scouts as service time. I am the Camp Director for our Cub Scout Resident Camp, and I always invite my own troop and several other troops out to help. The Boy Scouts like helping the Cubs, and the Cubs look up to the older boys.

Cheryl

Our troop appears to be in the minority on this one. We encourage all advancement oriented service projects to be for non-BSA organizations. That's not to say we don't do internal service, too. But a clear distinction between service that counts towards advancement and service that does not has proven useful.

Along this same topic, we have created the troop leadership position of "Service opportunity coordinator" (functions like an ASPL), to research community service opportunities, regularly report to the troop on these, and organize troop-wide service days. (Only one catch: as a SM designated leadership job, this job isn't valid for Life rank working towards Eagle.)

It would count in our troop.

T, sounds familiar. In our troop the ASPL has as one of his duties, to lead our monthly service projects during his tenure. Takes some of the pressure and time commitments off of the SPL and gives the ASPL some experience in being the lead on certain troop events.

I directed our Cub Day Camp 4 years. I always had Boy Scouts working camp as part of their service hours. My only requirement was that their SM contact me tomake sure they had prior approval to use the hours. The SM must approve any community service hours. I would prefer that be done before the work is completed. Kevin did his Star hours working at the school library. His Life are going to be done working with Paws and Claws Animal Rescue. He will get to clean cages, dump litter boxes, and walk dogs.

His library hours turned into him enjoying it so much that for the remainder of the year he worked after school 3 days a week. This coming year the librarian is having him come in as a library aid.

The main thing is to talk to the SM BEFORE you start doing the service hours.