Let's keep that boy in Scouting

Semper paratus Scouter, I heard this claim " You don't need to be in Scouting....."I've heard this at numerous Training courses, and at Proffesional Executive Seminars. That you don't need to be in Scouting, or know anything of Scouting. to be a successful ...We can teach and train you in becoming a Scoutmaster. Of course, charecter and enjoyment of the youth is an important factor. This is a recruitment ploy to get the hesitant volunteers to sign up.,to become Scoumaster's.This is one of the reason's ,why many boys quit Scouting., because they are told your SM does not have to know, it's the scouts who run the troop ? In my experience they should target mostly those who had Scouting experience to run a unit.My personal observation. Juris.www

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Who is that makes you feel that you've been crucified? It has been pointed out to you by many that you are incorrect when you claim to know how to do things best. You keep your claim to fame rather vague and boastful, tending to focus on what you have done rather than how the boys in the troop have been served. You came to the forums, began posting, and as you continued to post, you used your owns posts as references to newer posts. You bring attention to yourself, and if you don't care for the responses, then you always have the option you claim to have exercised in multiple positions in the BSA: simply don't post since it doesn't work for you. Juris, anyone calling you names or being unkind is acting unScoutlike, but you are too by the way in which you continue to refer to the BSA in a derogatory manner (ie BSA, Inc is not the Boy Scouts of America -- it is an employment agency).

Juris,

How can you keep referring to Scouting as the greatest youth organization in the world when you disagree with the BSA program at every turn? How can you keep telling people to get training and then bad mouth the training and trainers? Do you see the contradiction in your postings? I find it amusing that everyone else in a Scout uniform would try to set you straight and you would sit there thinking that you had it all figured out and they didn't know what they were talking about. You remind me of a Charismatic Christian man and wife who joined my Baptist church years ago and kept trying to teach their beliefs to everyone. When confronted about their beliefs being different than Baptists beliefs and asked why they desired to be members of a Baptist church, they responded, "oh, we are Baptists, we just believe a little more than Baptists". But everything they tried to teach was contrary to Baptist beliefs. I was amazed at how clueless they were, but they were quite content that they were right and just wanted everyone else to be as enlightened as they were. I admire your dedication to the "Scouting" you did for so many years. I'm just not sure it was Boy Scout of America Scouting. You will find a large community of dedicated, experienced, trained and successful scouters here who have used the program as designed by BSA (not Inc.) and are in agreement that it works. You will also find people new to scouting who are looking to harvest some of that experience and better understand the program. You can continue to share your sage advise, but it will most likely continue to not be very well recieved because we don't want our new scouter brother and sisters to get bad information.

Actually, I believe it is a rare boy/teen that isn't thrilled to have his parents involved in his activites. That is, a parent who will be involved and yet not shadow their boy/teen. Donating one's time for your child shows love and devotion.

Laugh or cry.

I'm a greenhorn here, I admit. But do yah all think it's alright to treat someone you disagree with in this way?

Juris offers an opinion that the BSA booklets ain't Gospel, and are indeed quite quirky when viewed from the perspective of international scouting. Some on this forum "believe" in the BSA Corporate brand as though it were a centralized religion. But even the BSA doesn't believe that, if you look at the extensive modifications it endorses by chartering orgs. like LDS.

I know plenty of good people who struggle with literacy, both youth and adults. Juris appears to be one.

I also know plenty of people who struggle with ethical behavior, kindness and charity. You people appear to be them.

I'm ashamed to wear the same uniform.

Signing off,

Beavah

Beavah, I appreciate your support of another forum member. Perhaps I'm reading past the comments that are troubling you. What have people said to/about Juris that has you concerned? We try to keep on topic here and keep the comments about ideas rather than people, so it concerns me that a relative newcomer would be disappointed in the whole crowd. I've seen people rip Juris' ideas (and I've willingly participated in this), but I'm missing what you have obviously seen as disrespect and more.

jd

Oh, the line between (well-deserved) criticism of juris's ideas and criticism of juris himself (his claims about himself and his experience, his writing style, speculation about whether he is the latest incarnation of past personalities on this forum) was crossed long ago.

This forum, like others, has its advantages and disadvantages. One of the advantages is the ability to "ignore" certain posters. Imagine my surprise to when, in turning on the "ignore" feature with respect to juris's posts last evening, I learned that I was the only one to have do so. One of the disadvantages of this forum is that it tends to get personal, often quickly. Perhaps that is a result of most folks using "handles" rather than their real names. I don't know. But I do wish that the response to folks we find annoying would be to use the "ignore" feature rather than attack. I think the reading would be more pleasant.

Dan Kurtenbach

Fairfax, VA