Let's keep that boy in Scouting

Lynda posted: My dad use to say. "A good leader is one that everything gets done and no one realized who got it done. A bad leader is one that wants to make sure everyone know how hard they are working and takes credit for everything everyone does."

Lynda, you've posted this before, and I'd like to thank you for sharing this. Your dad must have been a good leader.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From time to time I have pondered when we would get our next incarnation of Fat Old Guy. There have been so many. I wondered the same thing when Juris showed up. I am not convinced that he is FOG. If so, he has taken a good amount of time to develop a whole new style and character.

Lynda,

Funny you should mention it. Our SM is an Eagle Scout and he is also our District Training Chairman. He has told me numerous times that the hardest people to get to training or willing to accept the training material when they do show up are SM's who were Eagles. Time and again he has told me that many of them think they have it all figured out because they were scouts 30 years ago and earned Eagle and there is nothing about scouting that anyone can teach them.

Well, thanks . You realy know how to crucify an old timer who is not in step with your oppinions. I speak from experience. I know it is contreversial ...but that is how I see it from many years of being a SM of one of the largest units in the Council, and maybe the nation. Read my provile, and my post to "Dan K " The wood badge I took in London did not asign numbers, but names. So . don't try to discredit me. Maybe I am a bit sinile, please forgive me.But, if you don't agree with me that BSA, Inc. is there to make money. Find out for yourself. The legend of the old time scouters are dying. It's the new breed that has to carry the ball. I wish you a good journey in Scouting, and we will meet again in that wonderfull heavenly campsite .I will put on my silent key. I will not disturb you any more with my contreversial ideas, Juris,( www, (ex member of the order of the arrow )

I appreciate "Prairy Scouter's" support of most of my views, "Bob White" I apalogize using your name on this forum without your permission.PS, I am glad that you have an open mind. I just want to bring a situation I heard on one of our roundable's....This Scoutmaster ran fairly good troop in my opinion, but had an antigonistic commitee who were determined to get rid of him. He fought, and got the commisioner involved. Well, they succeeded. The new SM, knew nothing of running a unit, nor had the spirit of Scouing ,but promised to take training course, Within a few month the parents with drew their sons from the unit and transferred them to another unit. That's why I say, make sure the commitee is on your side. " Keep it simple make it fun " Committee is their to help you make the program work, and not act as overseers. Juris,www

To my scouter friend, Ed Mori. Troop # 1.I used to know a unit # 1....They had the best troop. I think they were the first in the Council, maybe the nation, They had a diesel bus, ( against bsa policy), fund raising where the entire town participated.( ex cluded the council, which is against the by laws of BSA ), had a membership of 80+, Had their own Scout building (against BSA )this is

where the cub scouts and boy scouts met, and this where they kept their equipment.Their had an alumni association of former Scouts, and parent auxialry . The leaders that I spoke said, the reason they have this successful model type program, is because they stayed as far as they could from the Council. The commisioner was a member of the unit, since he had boy in it.,

You are right, when you can't figure out some the members on this forum. Don't worry they are trying to burry me for my contreversial views.Keep learning, and stay in Scouting for there is no better organization for young people, with such dedicated adults. Juris, www.

BBNG SCOUTeR is correct when he quated Lynda's father. I never lectured any of other leaders how they should run their units. I was the quite type, only some new and old SM's could never figure out why I had a successful program. And I would say to them "you have to know scouting...take training course and find out," But they could never duplicate my success , becouse they don't teach that at those courses.Since I retired, I don't mind shaking my feathers a bit. Juris,www

Juris is a troll and bad troll at that. He can't form a sentence. He can't structure a paragraph and his premises for his positions are completely unfounded.

His replies in the Cubscout Forum on whether Cubscouting belongs in the BSA program were utter gibberish. His replies were nothing but clichs and generalizations.

He may be Jason, but I though Jason as well as Fat Old Guy had a much better understanding of the Scouting programs.

bbng. Thanks and yes he was a wonderful leader and great role model. So was my mother and grandmother. All were very community involved.

At 75 my grandmother did a nature teaching program from her home. Every Saturday any kid in out community could be in her yard at sun up and they would hike up the creek and she taught about all kinds of things. From the type of moss growing on rocks, to types of fish or snails in the water. I can't remember a Saturday that it wasn't pouring rain or freezing cold that there weren't at least 20 kind in her yard at daylight.

My parents were involved in almost every youth program in our town. They were on the Charter Board for NoArk Girl Scout Council. When my dad passed away in 84 there were 20+ Girl and Boy Scout troops in uniform, plus the Jr. Riding Club and every 4H club in 5 counties. Lined up at the funeral. He was also a volunteer Juvenile Probation Officer for over 20 years. At his funeral one young man came to mother and ask to do the eulogy. This man stood up and told everyone in the church that my dad was the only adult in his life that was willing to yank him up by the neck and take a belt to him when he got into so much trouble he was about to go to jail.

He said he was the reason he chose his profession.

At that time he was the lead attorney for the county and handled all juvenile cases.

He is now with the DA office.(This message has been edited by Lynda J)

Scouter ;SP540BEAVER', I had to chuckle when you reffered to me as a 'FAT OLD GUY ', beleive me I never have been, nor am I now fat..How can one be in Scouting and be fat ? that's if your are not active, and sit around watching TV, To the last days as SM, I still hiked and camped with younger scouts. But the high adventure activities were carried out by my youthful ASM's. Have you been at camporees and seen how many of our scouters are fat, and out of shape,( Not taught in training courses. (ha,ha)Well that's Scouting, this is the way a song goes " we have fat one's, skiny one's, we're going out to eat worms "ha,ha,It's good that some of you have some humor left in you.

Yours in Scouting, juris, www

Now I've got it...

Juris is an escapee from Ringling Bros. & Barnum and Bailey...keep it up buddy, at least you provide some entertainment round the fire.

But, please don't take that as meaning I agree with you, since I still haven't been able to figure out what you have said.

Dear Juris,

With all due respect - I apologize if my replies to your threads were unscoutlike.

However- you have expressed your views about the Scouting program which are not aligned with those of either the national council nor the majority of members on this forum.

In fact many of your views are against the way any such organization should be run.

Furthermore you state how your troop was/is the largest/best in the council and to look at your profile to see what successful experiences you have had.

Also your use of terminaolgy is at best dated.

Your high ranking scouts are den leaders, only adults maybe den leaders. Are they den chiefs? I thought you said "cubbing" did not help the scouting program. Why would you have your high ranking scouts waste their time?

Your experiences listed on your profile are, to this forum, nothing more than a bunch of letters anyone could post. Additionally you thought it better to not list what unit, district / council or even what part of the country you are in.

On another thread you stated that you could give ME that information but it would lead to further controversy. How so? I am asking that you share what council, district and units your have served so well, now, with all here. A scout is trustworthy.

Respectfully yours in the Brotherhood,

Ron Vocelka

Pack 17

Ozark Trails Council

Joplin MO

I agree with most of your assesment, :PRARIE SCOUTER:!....Back ground in Scouting, working with youth, is a big plus being a good Scout leader. You are the exception,....charector is a given,.Congratulations!. You are just like I used to be . You had the proper training.,Therefore I assume you are now running an outstanding unit.

Practically speaking, I found that the majority of commitees, do not know to much of the operation of the unit.nor Scouting. And, they should not act as supervisor's in you running the boy program. The accountability role is dedicated to your unit commisioner ,when he visits your unit to see your camping record, your growth in membership, your scout advancement, and casuel discusion with boys to see if they are happy in the Troop. The commitee role is in logistics and in support of the program. Usually no one knows best the needs of the Troop, then the dedicated adult leaders. Some times you don't have to ask a father to leave the commitee. I had a very cooperative team of fathers and the chairman ,who were in supporting our unit.

It's good that you have an open mind. juris,www

I am beginning to think that maybe juris is just an OLD OLD SCOUTER who did it his way period.

I knew of a troop llike that when I was a kid. They were quite arrogant bunch of boys whom many were eagles but a bit untrustworthy.

I had something stolen by one of them in quite a clever fashion that it took me 25 years to figure out that he had acutally stolen it.

Juris - your name isn't Mr. Blume is it - naw I'm sure Blume has to be dead by now I bet he would be 100+

ronvo