Why is parenting so hard?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Barry,

I'll be thinking about Kyle & hope that the weather wasn't too bad. I'm sure that he'll do fine since he has experience with this & if all of the boys use the buddy system & common sense, they'll all be fine! You're normal for worrying, that's part of being a parent. Also, letting go a little at a time is part of being a parent too! Let us know how things went when he comes home! Take care!

Judy

I wish I was back on a Northern Tier canoe trek.

...the float plane ride,the lakes ,the portages,the sunsets,the fishing,more portages,the teamwork,the rain,the adventure,more portages,watching young boys transform into young men.........the memories

How about this prayer:

FOR FOOD, FOR RAIMENT

FOR LIFE AND OPPORTUNITY

FOR SUN AND RAIN

FOR WATER AND PORTAGE TRAILS

FOR FRIENDSHIP AND FELLOWSHIP

WE THANK THEE, OH LORD

AMEN

Crew advisor B080804A

Mario

PS

I lost my leatherman on the last portage"Heartbreak" just before scout lake. Reward if anyone finds it...LOL(This message has been edited by mmmmontano)

Hey Barry. We'll keep Kyle in our prayers. I hope he makes it home safely soon. Love the comment about If its not raining, we arent camping. Our troop says the same thing. We've thought about nicknaming ourselves the Mighty Ducks, since we always seem to have to waddle in the rain.

Why is parenting so hard?

My insight is Because it is worth it!

When Eric was just a baby, I constantly was asking a colleague at work who had seven kids about how to deal with this or that. More than once I remarked, Well, it will be easier when hesleeps through the night holds his own bottle doesnt need diapers any more At one point Gordon looked at me and said, Berk, it doesnt get any easier, just different. Oh how wise. I realized I was trying to move Eric along so things would be more convenient for my wife and I. From then on, I resolved to enjoy my son at each and every stage in his life and to enjoy watching him move between them. It has been wonderful.

Being a parent is not the choice of a rational mind. It is the joy of a life.

Eric now is 26 years old, an Eagle Scout, a police officer, and on Sunday starts service as a Petty Officer with a small boat with a Port Security Unit in the Coast Guard Reserve. Do I worry and pray about him. Absolutely. But, because of the Knowledge, Skills, and Attitudes that Scouting helped him learn, I also know he is a man who Id want to have arrive if I needed help. Scouts learn right from wrong, learn to have the initiative to take positive action, and learn to lead others in doing what needs to be done.

But, I've learned through Scouting that parenting goes much better if you ask for help from other people committed to the same values. Would you join me in praying for him and all those who serve.

Berk Moss, Proud papa

Assistant District Commissioner, Pioneer District

Cascade Pacific Council

Newberg, OR

Hi All

Thanks for all your heartwarming support. Nothing like hanging around the Internet campfire with friends to calm the soul.

Kyle is home and I have to say the BW pretty told a similar story with his son. One of the adults called his wife a day before they came home to give a report of the week. Kyles crew was hit with rain and thunderstorms almost everyday. The two worst storms hit their camp the night before they got on the water and the night before they got off. They came off the water one day early because one boy injured his ankle while chopping firewood. They were forced to come back one day early to take the injured boy to a hospital. On the trip back, they had to deal with a long day of 30 mph winds, four foot waves in three big lakes along with several portages, three of which were over a half mile long having to also carry the injured boy.

You can understand then why all the waiting parents expected a very tired discouraged crew when they got home. As the vans pulled up, Kyle was first to open the door and jump out with a grin from ear to ear telling the waiting parents that it was one of the best trips he had been on. That was everyones response, even the boy hobbling around with a hurt ankle. The doctors report said there was no major damage and he should be pretty much healed in a couple weeks. The whole group was energetic, laughing and excited to tell stories.

So the prayers were answered and I thank you all. Kyle has talked a lot about the trip since Saturday and none of his reflections are negative. Officially, this was a last time gathering of his church group that has met weekly for over six years. But really between scouts, sports, church and school, This group has been a friends since before the first grade. It really wasnt a bonding experience so much as long time friends spending time before they started their new futures in different parts of the world. If the adversity of the trip did anything, it only brought in the open their welded friendship. There was not one discouraging word from the whole group. Not even a mention about having to carry their injured friend over two miles of rain soaked portages. And some people say there is no God.

So, why is parenting so hard, at the moment I think it so we parent can have hope in our childrens future.

Thanks again for all the kind words of encouragement. Thanks for your friendship.

Barry