Who can be a "lone scout"?

In my experience, Lone Scouting is intended for boys who can't regularly attend Troop meetings or activities because of distance from a meeting place (i.e., Jordan, Montana), some physical disability, or some other factor beyond his control.

I don't think personality conflicts qualify. And, if the unit doesn't measure up to the parents' expectations, I think that rather than give otherwise interested families a hall pass, BSA wants them to volunteer and help make that unit better. A little Pollyanna-ish, I suppose, but I'm sure you see their point.

KS

KS is correct. Lone Scouting is intended as a way to allow boys to get the Scouting program if there are no viable troops in the area. Simply not liking the local troop or troops is not reason enough.

Unc.

My son was a lone scout for one year. There are other qualifications, check the usscouts home page and there is an information sheet. If a child is homeschooled they can be a lone scout.

Kittle

Hey, what do you know? There is a fact sheet at the National web site, that lists other categories of boys who may register as Lone Scouts. Here's what it said:

Children of American citizens who live abroad

Exchange students away from the United States for a year or more

Boys with disabilities that might prevent them from attending regular meetings of packs or troops

Boys in rural communities who live far from a Scouting unit

Sons of migrant farmworkers

Boys who attend night schools or boarding schools

Boys who have jobs that conflict with troop meetings

Boys whose families travel frequently, such as circus families, families who live on boats, and so on

Boys who alternate living arrangements with parents who live in different communities

Boys who are unable to attend unit meetings because of life-threatening communicable diseases

Boys whose parents believe their child might be endangered by getting to Scout unit meetings

Boys being home schooled whose parents do not want them in a youth group

I've had boys whose families lived abroad, exchange students, boys with disabilities, boys with alternate living arrangements (went to two different Troops' meetings, was registered with us), I've got a lad now who lives on a boat, and plenty of home-schooled kids. I don't think those circumstances by themselves rule out traditional Scouting, and thank goodness, their parents didn't and don't, either. They saw the value and sometimes extra effort and hardship inherent in getting to us.

When we lived abroad, we found BSA units everywhere we were in both Europe and Asia. I know that Far East Council has Direct Service Units, not assigned to one of the Districts, that are composed almost exclusively of diplomatic/attache/business expat families' kids...and they're in some of the least likely places you'd expect to find them. The units aren't large, they're quite remote from District and Council resources we take for granted, and in some countries they have to maintain "relaxed uniform standards" to account for their host nation sensitivies regarding a bunch of uniformed Americans running around in the woods. Yet, they work amazingly hard to give their kids, who have about as far from a normal childhood as you can imagine, a Scouting experience comparable to what our kids are getting.

Every one of those families could register their sons as Lone Scouts. But, they don't. Rather, they do something more difficult, but in the end, more rewarding for their sons, in my opinion. By offering a traditional Troop program in less-than-ideal circumstances, they're giving those boys leadership experience and people skills you can't put a value on.

Don't get me wrong, I think Lone Scouting is a great "only option" for boys who can't join a Troop. However, for any who gravitate toward Lone Scouting in order to not be bothered with a swarm of first-year Scouts demanding time and attention, the distraction of elected/appointed positions of responsibility, the possibility that their son might meet a boy he doesn't like right off, and having to subordinate personal desires for the preferences of the larger group, I think they're only cheating themselves.

I may draw the wrath of some on the forum who think those are intangibles I can't prove. Well, I can't prove the intangibles, and I may be completely wrong. But, I also may be right.

KS

• 1 month later...

Wow, excellent post on Lone Scouts and BSA scouting abroad!

Perhaps it's worth keeping these programs in mind when criticism of national BSA is being vented. It seems that they make a good deal of effort to bring Scouting to families even when the costs must exceed the revenues generated.

Seattle Pioneer

Hi johndaigler,

Korea Scout has posted some good information from the BSA fact sheet on Lone Scouting. There is also a Lone Scout Friend and Counselor Guidebook posted on the Direct Service web site. The file is pretty big (3.5mb) so it may take a while to download. http://www.directservicebsa.org/pdf/14-420.pdf This is the most complete reference on Lone Scouting that I have seen. The Scout wishing to go the "Lone Scout" will also need a registered adult to serve as his guide. All this deals with the how to.

The can and should questions I think are the real issue you raise. Can any Scout go the "Lone Scout" program? Probably, but should the Scout? That is another question that requires evaluation of all the issues relavent. But "Lone Scout" is better than "No Scout." I would use this option when all other traditional Scout unit options just do work for the boy and/or family. A good experience as a Lone Scout may allow other options to develop for the boy over time.

Yours Truly in Scouting,

Rick Pushies