There's going to be a tie into council websites as well (like YPT for example), so that there can be local options. Also, I think some proceeds may come back to the councils... ??? not sure about that. But I understand that you're going to have to come through your council website.

I believe the prototype for it was the Jamboree merchandise web site. It had everything you mentioned along with actually being able to pay by credit card and have it delivered to your doorstep. Evidently it worked well enough that they are now going to upgrade Scoutstuff.

The wheels of progress turn slowly, but turn they do.

Hey Beav,

There goes my allowence!!

Her Who Must Be Obeyed isn't going to like it!!

OJ,and I did buy a fair amount of stuff from the Jambo site, only snag was that he never did get a catalog.

I really liked the foot-locker till I seen the price tag! That was a bit too rich for me.

Eamonn.

E, I'm with you on that footlocker and so was mom.

We found a container meant for the back of a pickup truck at Walmart for 42 instead and it's almost the same thing. And then we're gonna get a little cart-type thing so I can move it around.

E,

My wife keeps asking me if we are going to Jamboree for 15 days or taking a 6 month cruise around the world every time I hand her another receipt.

It has gotten rather pricey. Our contingent cost is $1900 which includes airfare and 5 days of touring. Add to that 3 uniforms plus various and sundry other items X two and you start to realize just how hard it hits the old pocketbook. I saw a lot of things in the catalog I wanted, but forced myself to resist. All I bought was the big Jambo patch to put on the back of my jac-shirt and a set of region and subcamp patches for shadow boxes I hope to put together for my son and I. I bought complete sets of our three troops CSP, unit number and OA patches to go in it along with a Jambo patch from our shirts. Oh, I also bought the wide brim Jambo hat so I'll look extra spiffy when we meet at Jambo.

Great that the website is making it into the 21st Century.

That footlocker sure looked cool, but the it had two bad numbers, the price AND the weight. For the price and weight, it should have come with Sherpas.

- Oren

The footlocker looks an awful lot like the shell of a Military-Specification computer hardware transit case.

If this is the source of Supply Corporation's design, trust me ... airline baggage handlers can bash them to smithereens, just as easily as any other luggage.

Oren;

National almost had a deal worked out with a Sherpa placement agency in Kathmandu, but after the candidates did some web research and found out what they were getting into, they opted, to a man, to stay in Nepal and drag tourists up to the top of Everest -- less strenuous and a less "dynamic" environment than a National Jambo.

I understand they're looking into a pack mule option now, but are proceeding very carefully, with PETA headquarters just down the road in Norfolk...

KS

Brief thread hijack - but basically in same area

I thought I would put in a positive note about our National Scout Supply group. I was in need of the scoutmasters handbook for summer camp this week (Woodbadge ticket item, lots of time at camp). I checked at the council and was told to call National, I probably would get it sooner. Called Friday afternoon, had a very nice lady help me out. I asked about trying to get it to me in 4 days, not the 7 to 10 working days by any means other than paying $10 more for an $11.59 "book". She checked and found the UPS ground would get it to me. She noted on the packing slip that it should go ground only and needed by Wednesday. Wednesday I went home and found it on my doorstep, but with a UPS Overnight sticker?? Thought I was going to be charged extra, but they did it without additional cost. I must say, great customer service, and cheaper than my council charged! And sorry for the long rant and rave

Return to the current thread topic :>