Missing Boy Scout just found alive!

A volunteer firefighter found him and confirmed to newscasters, just now, that 11-year-old Brennan Hawkins has been found alive. More news is coming in now, and this is such great news, that I thought I'd pass it on. He is being rescued now; apparently he's in a spot tough to reach. I hate missing kid stories, but this one seems to be ending well.

You beat me to it. Very little details as of yet. My wife heard it on the radio and I went to CNN.com and Foxnews.com and they didn't even have it yet. I had to google for Salt Lake City TV stations. One of those didn't even have it as breaking news yet.

A Boy Scout spokesperson, unnamed, has just confirmed that Brennan is alive and well. I'm watching this on Fox News. Still few details, but lots of excitement about the outcome.

EDIT: An announcement just given that a press conference will come on sometime, no time given. And someone said he's a Cub, not a Boy Scout, and it's all positive about how he used his Scout training to survive 4 days on his own.

AND...

FOX NEWS

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,160189,00.html

FIND BRENNAN SITE

http://www.findbrennan.org/

CBS NEWS

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/06/21/national/main703165.shtml?CMP=OTC-RSSFeed&source=RSS&attr=HOME_703165

MSNBC

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8276685/

The news is hitting the web now as well as the tv, and I look forward to hearing how he did this, but for now, I just praise God that this little boy is safe.

(This message has been edited by bbng)

Ya'll beat me here. I have been watching this one everyday. This guy is the same age as my Scout, just finished fifth grade. I've been watching it all along thinking "that could be Nephew".

Hug yours tonight, I'll be hugging mine.

Michelle

Great news. Now let's hope that he was just lost and not abducted and molested in anyway.

Hopefully the full story will come out so we can look for the holes in our program. We just did a tubing or canoeing trip. One tuber, Second Class Scout, took it upon himself to do the river one more time, without telling anyone, without his buddy, etc etc... Fortunately he made the run safely.

Eagle,

The hole is the boys. We drill them on the buddy system and they just don't take it serious. I'f I had a penny for every time one of our scouts came walking into camp solo, I'd be a millionaire. We always ask where their buddy is and get the standard answers. He went to the trading post and I didn't want to go. We ran into Bill and Tom and they were going to the Econ area to look at the turtles and I wanted to come back to camp. I don't know, we stopped to watch some guys playing hacky sack and when I turned around he was gone.

From what I read of this story early on was that the guy at the top of the climbing tower saw him struggling to get out of a harness while the group of boys he was with were headed down the road. When he looked again, no one was in sight. Three things went wrong. One, he didn't tell them to wait or they ignored him. Two, they walked off without him. Three, the climbing tower guy should have hollared for them to wait. I'm sure there has been a lot of soul searching on all of their parts......or should be.

We adults made a sport of stopping solo boys at summer camp last year and asking them where their buddy was. We were on a long road with a number of camp sites that led to the main area of camp. We'd catch them after they had walked out of their camp and were headed to the main area. We'd turn everyone of them around and send them to back to camp to find a buddy. Everyone thinks getting lost won't happen to them.

wonderful news.As I prepare to go to camp this Sunday my plan has changed abit. On the 2 to 3 hour drive to camp our boys will hear over and over how important the buddy system is. and what to do if they do get lost.And being a over prepared mom each will have a whistle in his pocket.I'd much rather they have one in their pocket that never is needed to signal for help then need one and not have it.

Fantastic ... nothing to end a day like great news!

This event has generated a lot of questions from our parents with regards to our summer camp trip next week. I have never seen more worried parents than last night! We simply asked them to reinforce the buddy system to their sons throughout this week and undoubltedly we will reinforce it again during our 10 hours trip to the camp!

1Hour

This will be fodder for my Scoutmaster's Minute tomorrow night. We can rejoice in the good news that this particular Scout was found alive and basically OK.

However, there's no such good news for the Scout "lost" in the same area last year or the Scout whose body was just found this week after his attempt to get "big air" on a whale watching trip exceeded his anticipations.

I am going to go over the fact that Scout safety is all based upon Scouts' own discipline. If that Scout on the whale watching trip had obeyed the adult leaders (not to mention have used common sense), he would be alive.

If both of the Utah Scouts had used the buddy system, neither would have made any headlines anywhere.

Us adults can only do so much. That is, if the boys want to have any fun. We could always shackle them with so much supervision and restrictions that they would never learn anything about themselves or the outdoors.

I'm going to ask them how many of them have heard about a Boy Scout being lost in the woods. I'm betting most of them will say that they have.

Then, I'll ask them if they have every heard of two Boy Scouts being lost. I'm sure they haven't. The buddy system works.

(OK. I know someone out there will google the news archives and find SOME mention of two Scouts being lost. Remember, never let the facts screw up a good story.)

- Oren

Beav - Yep, you are right. But, as a leader, I'm always looking for the lessons learned, iows how could we have done it differently, better, etc.

The Scout will be interviewed as soon as he gets his strength back. Hopefully he'll tell us how he survived. If he was in Virginia, he'd been eaten alive by the mosquitos...