Great Night For Fireflies / Lightning Bugs

Rory and I were just out for his late night constitutional. We have a lot of trees in the back yard. The Lightning Bugs were out in force.

We don't have them in the UK, so I never cease to be amazed by them. Tonight they were filling some of the trees and making them look like Christmas Trees full of twinkling lights. Yet there were other trees that seemed to have one flashing away in the dark almost like a lighthouse light.

I remember how the Troop that I took over from London to camp on this side of the pond, thought that these bugs were really neat and how when OJ was younger armed with a mayo jar we would have lightning bug hunts!!

I look forward to seeing them every year.

Eamonn.

It never ceases to amaze me that, on a campout with a bunch of city kids who are normally too "cool" for such things while in the city, if you can get them to stop and sit down for a second, they can still get excited about little things like fireflies, the sounds of the night, and the stars in the sky.

Coming from a family that has always gone camping.I don't remember my first campout. I"m told I had just started walking on the first one.Camping was just something everyone did. Or so I thought until my first year a college.My family was planning a campout to eastern Nevada. I started planning to meet my family.My roommate asked if she could go. I thought about it for about a second and then told her what she would need to take. She was almost blind.As we sat around a campfire in the middle of the Ruby Mountains she pointed to the sky and asked if those were stars.. With out the lights of the City she had been able to see the stars for the first time. Even now when I'm camping and look up at the stars and think of that campfire and smile.