Checklist for a Strong Troop Program

Trevorum wrote:

----------

If I was going to create from scratch a Quality Unit program, I would craft it around the eight methods:

Ideals

Patrols

Outdoors

Advancement

Personal growth

Adult association

Leadership development

Uniform

----------

/Trevorum

I heartily agree -- actually, I've been toying a bit with a sort of checklist for a solid troop program, more comprehensive and detailed than the quality unit requirements, and thought that the Eight Methods would be a good way to organize it.

Now for the substance. If you were going to create a one- or two-page "cheat sheet" of the elements that make up a good troop program, what would you put on the list?

Dan K

Personally I like this approach which was posted on another scout site. I took the liberty of editing it for length.

"I would like to see the BSA change the name of the Quality Unit Award to reflect what it actual measures. Let's call it the Minimum Expectation Award. That is really what it is. The BSA is saying 'if you can't deliver a real scouting program PLEASE at least do these few things. And yet...less than 60% of all units earn this recognition.

Troops

1) At some point in time were 100% of your registered volunteers trained in the past 12 months?

2) Did the Troop have a 1-year written program calendar?

3) Do all members wear a complete, official, BSA uniform?

4) Did 80% of the troop camp at least 10 nights in the last 12 months?

5) Did you have at least 4 courts of honor in the past 12 months.

6) Did the patrols and troop follow a monthly theme every month during the last 12 months.

7) Are 80% or more of the scouts who joined in the previous 12 month period still active in the last 12-month period?

8) Have 80% or more of the new scouts (who have been in the troop between 12 and 14 months) completed all requirements for 1st Class?

9) Does the Troop meet for 60 to 90 minutes each week?

10) Does the troop hold elections for Senior Patrol Leader every 6 to 9 months?

11) Does the Senior Patrol Leader get to select all other troop junior leaders except JASM?

12) Did all patrols hold Patrol Leader elections each 6 to 9 months.

13) Does every scout hold a troop or patrol Position of Responsibility?

14) Does the Committee meet every month?

15) Did the troop and each patrol do at least 1 Good Turn Project in the last 12 months?

16) Does every registered adult and youth member wear a correct, official, BSA uniform.

17) Do the troop meetings include the 7 elements of the troop meeting planner?

18 ) Do only scouts lead the troop and patrol meetings?

Commish

Train them, Trust Them, Let them Lead. BP"

BW

I agree that 3 and 16 are redundant. I can also see how the others you listed, which represent fundamental elements of the Patrol Method, Leadership Method and Advancement Method of scouting, would not be appreciated or used by some leaders. Those units would not operate at the same high level of scouting that the units who used those methods would and so it is reasonable not to include them in the classification of "Quality" units.(This message has been edited by Bob White)

#6 - While the monthly themes are a good guideline, a patrol has the flexibility to change those themes or use their own themes.

#8 - Good goal but First Class First Year is in no way a required program.

#11 - I'm making the assumption this include all other POR's except JASM. If so, the PL is elected by his patrol (page22 BS Handbook).

#12 - If a troop decides to hold annual elections, they are penalized. (If my assumption about #11 is accurate, then #12 is redundant.)

#13 - Not all Scout need a POR.

#18 - If Scouts only lead the troop, where are the adults? I am all for "boy led" but there are times Troop meetings are adult led.

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

Dan, Is this the kind of criteria you had in mind? The elements all seem to be in line with the BSA program, and they are certainly more challenging than the current Quality Unit Awardcriteria.

Ed, To often you hound my posts creating what often appears more of a dialogue than a forum, While I disagree with every point you made I will not adress them until others have the opportunity to do so first.

I assume that there is a distinction between troop positions and patrol positions and that is why there is both points 10 & 12. That would also imply that point 11 is troop positions, not all PORs. I would also think that each patrol can decide its own PL election schedule.

SWScouter

You disagree with every point I made? Looking forward to your reasons since most of the points & listed are more suggested program methods than requirements. But I will wait to see what others say.

And #10 would go with #12 reason I listed.

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

Hi Bob, I think I have seen the list before!!

My thoughts:

First I do think that the list is a list of goals, things that if you haven't done or haven't reached should be on the "To Do" list.

Looking at each point.

1) At some point in time were 100% of your registered volunteers trained in the past 12 months?

Of course there is no argument from me. I would add that if they are not maybe the District Training Committee needs to take a look at what they are doing.

2) Did the Troop have a 1-year written program calendar?

Again no argument from me. I do think that a how to go about making an annual plan is a good topic for a round-table meeting.

3) Do all members wear a complete, official, BSA uniform?

While I know that uniform ownership is not a condition of membership it is a method of Scouting and if people are not wearing it, there is a need to find out why and do everything possible to fix the problem.

4) Did 80% of the troop camp at least 10 nights in the last 12 months?

I can't help thinking that 10 nights is a little on the low side. Summer camp would account for seven nights.

5) Did you have at least 4 courts of honor in the past 12 months.

I think I would focus more on immediate recognition, more than the number of COH.

6) Did the patrols and troop follow a monthly theme every month during the last 12 months.

Fine and dandy with me.

7) Are 80% or more of the scouts who joined in the previous 12 month period still active in the last 12-month period?

Boy do I hate percentages!! If only two new Scouts joined and one moved...

8) Have 80% or more of the new scouts (who have been in the troop between 12 and 14 months) completed all requirements for 1st Class?

Make that 18 months and I'm with you.

9) Does the Troop meet for 60 to 90 minutes each week?

We have one of the better Troops in the District that now only meets three times a month, using one week for the PLC meeting. Does this count?

10) Does the troop hold elections for Senior Patrol Leader every 6 to 9 months?

Some Troops do very well only holding the election every 12 months. I don't see it as a big deal.

11) Does the Senior Patrol Leader get to select all other troop junior leaders except JASM?

Fine with me as long as he waits till after the Patrol elections.

12) Did all patrols hold Patrol Leader elections each 6 to 9 months.

Again I think the Troop does what works best for them, if 12 months works why change?

13) Does every scout hold a troop or patrol Position of Responsibility?

Great idea.

14) Does the Committee meet every month?

Fine.

15) Did the troop and each patrol do at least 1 Good Turn Project in the last 12 months?

At least one and maybe one for the CO.

16) Does every registered adult and youth member wear a correct, official, BSA uniform.

I can see where it is nice that Troop Committee members do own and wear a uniform, but I don't see this as being a requirement and fear that we could lose or scare away good people who don't want to wear the uniform. Just as a District Chairman is not necessarily a uniformed position.

17) Do the troop meetings include the 7 elements of the troop meeting planner?

Fine.

18 ) Do only scouts lead the troop and patrol meetings?

Great.

I am a little surprised that you make no mention of the PLC?

Eamonn.

Eamonn,

The addition of a monthly PLC would be a good one.

Actually the 10 nights of camping is twice what the current quality unit award requires.

I can understand why the list recommends the durations it does for elections, I believe those are the ones recommended by the program.

BW

Bob White, ideas like those on the Commish's list are exactly what I'm looking for. I was hoping for a bit of a brainstorming discussion to get a broad range of thoughts on elements of strong troop programs and elements that make troops strong. (The discussion seems to have gotten bogged down critiquing the Commish's list rather than offering additional or alternative suggestions.) I envision a list that serves (1) as a blueprint for new or struggling troops to get on track -- concrete, practical, attainable goals, and (2) as a set of "bare minimums" for strong troops seeking to move to the next level.

Dan K

hey, Danny K, (like you never heard that one before)

Anyway, dont let Heckle and Jeckle disturb you too much, just as fish gotta swim and birds gotta fly, they have to do what they do.

I think another attribute of a strong troop is a strrong record of training the youth at District/Council lead trainng. NYLT (I hope I got the abbreviation right, otherwise correct me)is great for both participation and for being on staff.

I am sure it depends on the program instructors, but its so valuable when youth hear the same message from multuple sources