No Updated Medical Form --> No Campout Allowed?

As Scoutmaster, I'm having trouble getting my Scouts and Scouters to provide an updated BSA Class 1 or Class 3 Medical Form. Some of the forms are 2-3 years old. As the "Unit Leader" who's listed on the Local Tour Permit, I feel I'm being exposed to insurance liability if somebody should get hurt, and they end up getting inappropriate medical treatment (due to drug allergies, recent medical conditions, etc.). It's been two months since we asked everyone to update their forms. Is it appropriate for me to say that "You can't go on any more campouts without first providing an updated Medical Form"? I don't want to be unfair or petty, but I don't want to get sued by some lawyer who will say that I KNEW that the medical information was old. What should I do?

I don't think it is being either unfair or petty. The forms are required by the BSA not you and you should not feel bad about enforcing the rules. You should stress that the forms are for the scouts' saftey.(This message has been edited by sitrep)

We made this a part of our annual 'registration'- dues, forms, information updates, passing on of new policies and phone numbers, etc. Scout family by Scout family.

We handed out a checklist of what we needed and expected. Next 2 weeks- gather info. Third week, start calling to get updated info or to remind that we need it at the next meeting.

It REALLY helped when we could post a leader or two at the door with a laptop and a stack of forms and handouts. The 'business desk' was a convenient place for people to get info, check on account balances, turn in advancment info, etc.

In my 1-1/2 years as Scoutmaster, I've seen a Scout nearly cut into his foot with a 5-lb. splitting maul, and another Scout toss a hatchet across the ground towards other Scouts in disgust. We've had a Scout punch through the rotten floorboards of a dock. Some of the older Scout and Scouters are now embarking on more "High Adventure"-type outings, where they're miles away from cell phone coverage. In my opinion, we've been darned lucky that nobody's gotten seriously hurt (yet).

We DO have a desk near the front door with a stack of blank medical forms. I gave everyone detailed instructions on what they needed to do 1-1/2 months ago. Some older Scouters going on campouts don't even have ANY medical form on file at all. We have a grandfather going on most outings & campouts, and he's out of breath hiking the trails; is he going to have a heart attack?

One would think that the parents would WANT their sons to have appropriate medical care, and that the First Aid Responder would WANT to know about medical complications, drug reactions, etc. By me having a set of 2-3 year old medical forms (or no forms at all), THEY'RE endangering themselves and I'M exposed to unfair liability.

Is it unreasonable to prohibit Scouts (and Scouters) from attending any more campouts until I receive their updated medical form? I don't like the existing situation one bit....(This message has been edited by dluders)

The G2SS mentions health forms or "proof of fitness or good health" in several places. This may be the most beneficial part to answer your questions:

Class 1:

Includes any event that does not exceed 72 consecutive hours, where the level of activity is similar to that normally expended at home or at school, and where medical care is readily available. Examples: day camp, day hike, swimming party, or an overnight camp. Medical information required is a current health history signed by parents or guardian. The health history form currently found on the back of the BSA individual applications or the Class I Personal Health and Medical History found on form No. 34414A (Personal Health and Medical Record) meets this requirement. Den leaders, Scoutmasters, team coaches, and crew Advisors should review these and become knowledgeable about the medical needs of the youth members in their unit. Forms must be updated annually. They are filled out by participants and kept on file for easy reference.

Class 2:

Includes any event that exceeds 72 consecutive hours, where the level of activity is similar to that normally expended at home or at school, and where medical care is readily available. Examples: resident camping, tour camping, and hiking in relatively populated areas. Medical data required is an annual health history signed by parents or guardian supported by a medical evaluation completed within the past 36 months by a licensed health-care practitioner. The Personal Health and Medical RecordClass 2, on No. 34414A, is designed primarily for resident Cub Scout and Boy Scout summer camp but could be used for any Class 2 activity. Youth members and adult participants under 40 years of age use this form. (See Camp Health and Safety for additional information on Class 2 application.)

Class 3:

Class 3: Includes any event involving strenuous activity such as backpacking, high altitude, extreme weather conditions, cold water, exposure, fatigue, athletic competition, adventure challenge, or remote conditions where readily available medical care cannot be assured. Examples: high-adventure activities, jamborees, Wood Badge, and extended backpacking trips in remote areas. Medical information required includes current health history supported by a medical evaluation within the past 12 months performed by a licensed health-care practitioner. Form 34412A is to be used by youth for Class 3 activities. Adults age 40 or older will use this form for Class 2 and Class 3 activities. See form No. 34414A, Personal Health and Medical Record, for more information....

It is recommended that unit leaders have a complete medical history and permission slip for every participant attending each Scouting activity. The medical history form and permission slip, in most cases, will allow emergency medical treatment to a youth member in case of injury or illness when a parent or guardian cannot be contacted.

Hope this helps.(This message has been edited by bbng)

The use of a "Parent Permission Slip" (whereby medical personnel can treat a Scout if their parent(s) cannot be contacted) is a good idea. Although we have used Parent Permission Slips for the 2004 Summer Camp, and for the Council Camporees, our troop doesn't routinely use them. "We bad." We're not following the Scout Motto ("Be Prepared"), and we're asking for trouble. We are aware of what version of BSA Medical Form is required for various Scouting activities, but our problem is that 1/2 of the troop is IGNORING my appeal to submit UPDATED, ACCURATE MEDICAL FORMS. Some of the biggest offenders are the Scouters who don't have ANYTHING on file at all. I can't even get a simple Class 1 Medical Form from the Over-40 crowd. It's most frustrating.

(This message has been edited by dluders)

This info would answer your question though; you sure can keep someone from going camping without an updated form. I'd use this one sentence in Class One:

"Forms must be updated annually."

Therefore, a youth or adult with no health form on record needs to submit one prior to the next campout/outing. A youth or adult with an outdated form needs to submit one prior the next campout/outing. I personally would have no problem with this, and I've found that BSA camps actually require a current medical history on every person attending camp--or they may not attend. That's in 4 different councils, so it is done. I'm not sure why people are so resistant to handing these in, but they do serve a purpose, and I had to do a little arm-twisting to get some. Leaders' kids were the worst, interestingly enough.

Certainly have the form updated annually. My advice...turn this over to the Committee Chair to chase down these forms. Scoutmasters have too much on their plate to be chasing after forms. Surely there is a tenacious adult that can shake these parents down.

"Scoutmasters have too much on their plate to be chasing after forms. Surely there is a tenacious adult that can shake these parents down."

Great advice here. This is something I'm working on as well. One ASM handles summer camp, another our high adventure trip. A third is goign to start handling all regular campouts.

We're going to have a parent's meeting at an upcoming COH and tell them that forms must be accurate and turned in, or their son will not be allowed to go on the campout. I see no other way. We had a campout this past weekend and several did not have them. It gets frustrating and the parents just don't seem to care. I think they really think of it as just bueracracy and don't see the point.

This is a safety issue, I would not have any problem denying participation without the proper medical documentation. Require it whenever a boy joins the troop before he can go on a outing. We would always do the annual update before summer camp each year. Any summer camp we have ever attended require the forms properly filled out, or the boy gets sent home by the council.

Youth physicals except those for high adventure activiteis are good for three years to coincide with school physicals. Adults over 40 need annual physicals. In my son's troop keeping the physicals updated is the responsibility of one of the ASMs. When I was a SM I had a committee member do this. We try to give families 12 months warning that the current physical will be expiring this year and give them the new forms to take with them when they go.

So far this has worked out just fine.

Being the Scout Sock rule follower that I am. I have to say that all the good stuff that bbng

copied from the G2SS must, has to be, should be, gotta be followed to the letter. No If's and's or But's. Capish!!

Having organized events where there are several hundred Health forms coming at you from many different directions (Day Camps,Parent Son Camps) I can put my hand on my heart and say that Class 1 medical forms are part of the reason why I no longer have dark hair.

While I am in no way suggesting that anyone ignore health forms, or any paperwork that we are supposed to do. I do in some ways question the value of Health Forms.

The BSA has gone with the duration of the activity and the type of activity.

I in my "Infinite Wisdom" think that distance from home should be the deciding factor.

I am not a doctor (If there are any lurking maybe they could share their view?) but Her Who Must Be Obeyed has worked in the ER of our local hospital for a good number of years. She informs me that in a matter of life or death the ER Doctor will dive right in to save the life. Such things as being allergic to latex or not being up to date with a tetanus injection don't come into play.

Our Council Summer camp is served by three hospitals. Looking at the Council and the location of the hospitals, it seems that if a parent was home they could drive to any of the three in under two hours. Her Who Must Be Obeyed tells me that in most cases a ER Doctor will wait to talk to the parent face to face before treating such things as broken bones. Keeping the patient as comfortable as possible while waiting for the parent to arrive.

She also informs me that Health Form or not, the very first thing they do before starting any treatment is to try and contact the parent. In this day of cell phones, contacting someone is not as hard as it used to be.

Of course if the activity is a long way from the Scouts home, parents are not going to make it to the hospital. Still the Doctor or the hospital is going to make every effort to talk with the parent before they start non-life threatening procedures.

Over the years I have taken a lot of Scouts away to camp. At times a very long way from home, I have treated cuts, burns and home sickness. I have with the parents permission given Scouts their prescribed medications. But not being a medical professional I have never given a Lad any medication without first contacting a parent. Even with a up to date Health form, I don't know if the Lad can tolerate even the most basic of medications.

Our Council camp has EMT on staff over the summer. While I do know that she is better trained than I am and has more experience than I have. I would hope that she isn't handing out medications to Scout without first contacting his parent.

These are just my thoughts. I do not in any way advocate or suggest that any health form should be ignored.

For the Jamboree I have loaded my cell phone with the contact number for all the troop members. Everyone has of course completed the Jamboree Health form. I have a copy. The Council has a copy and our Emergency contact person has a copy.

I would never take someone's son away without having some way of contacting his parent or designated parent approved contact person. This would be a risk that I wouldn't want to take. A parent can fill out a class 1 form in the parking lot, if you are only going away for the weekend.

While I would hate to say to a Lad that he couldn't go. I wouldn't allow him too, unless the paperwork was in tip top shape.

Eamonn