Quality Unit award a farce

The QU award is not a farce, your District Executive is.

Good point Semper dude.

I do agree the QU award is quite watered down. Our pack received QU during several years of decline before I took over. They were barely meeting the minimum criteria. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if a few of theirs were just "close enough" as well.

But, when I took over, we used the QU guidelines as one of the tools in turning the program around. We strove to meet each of those objectives. In doing so, we turned it into a great pack. In fact, the best year we had was also the year we nailed every single QU requirement. Therefore, I'm a believer in using it as a guideline to help you build a solid program. If you truly complete the objectives, chances are you have a pretty good unit.

I agree with EagleInKY in that the Quality Unit award can be used as a benchmark, so to speak, to improve a units program. A unit's leadership should look at the QU award objectives and strive to meet as many of them as possible. The more that are met, the better the program that can be offered to the boys. Think of it this way, how can a unit offer a good scouting program if it can't meet the QU objectives? Note that the converse is not true, i.e., meeting the QU objectives does not ensure a good scouting program is being offered.

I view the Scouter knots the same way (especially the cub scout leader knots). How can a den leader offer a good den program if that leader doesn't meet the requirements for earning the den leader award?

SWScouter

I can relate to CNY Scouter's story. Our Cub Pack did not meet the criteria for the Quality unit award. The Cubmaster wrote in large letters that we did not qualify and did not sign the award. We recieved it anyway. she returned the ribbon and asked to have it removed from the charter. Our Boy Scout troop turned in thier charter three days after the deadline (Jan 3rd)no quaity unit application was submitted. They recieved the award also. It was turned back in and the council was asked to remove it from our records. Our council is one of the few that have been a "Quality Council since the program started. I wonder why.

The fact is the goals of the "paid" professionals is considerable differt than that of the rank and file unit Scouters.

Oh, by the way it was never removed from the charter!

It's very sad to hear reports like yours, Novpr.

Has anyone taken that issue to Council meetings to complain about that kind of thing? I'd be inclined to ask the District Chair for an explanation, and perhaps for a report back on how things will change in the future.

Seattle Pioneer

Our new district chairman was already a member of the council executive board when made a district chairman. We haven't had a district election in three years. It has been obvious for several years that key leadership is ordained by the council exec.

NOVPR unless you are a voting member of the district committee it is unlikely that you would have been aware of the election. As a registered corporation your district and council are required to hold annual elections. They have soecific steps that must be followed in order to be in line with their by-laws and charter agreement.

Ask your District Executive about this process and see what you find out. Ask for the time and place of the election and for names of the voting members who were present.

It is unlikely that the process was skipped especially for such a prolonged period.(This message has been edited by Bob White)