Not sure where to put this, so I thought this would be a good place. If not just shoot me...

Last night after our meeting, a 13 year old scout came up to me and asked a question. I had no idea how to respond, but told him I have friends that I talk to about all sorts of scout things, so I'd ask them... here's the question.

Since he is too young to go to Jamboree this year, and the next one will be in five years, when will he get a chance to go to Jamboree as a youth? He understands that not everyone goes to Jambo, BUT everyone should be given the chance. Has anyone heard if National has even considered the young men that are just too young this year, and will be just too old in five years?

I told him it was my understanding that BSA always tries to be fair to all, and that they will surely have a plan for guys his age, it isn't just that we ganged up on him. We talked about Ventures being over 18 and considered as youth members, but we don't want to force him into a crew... If you haven't heard about this problem, that cool, I'm looking for people that may know something that I can tell this young man. If he were just six months older our council troop would be well served having him as a member, but he's stuck for this year.

Thanks!

If he can't go to this one, sounds like he only has three choices: either apply to go as an adult leader or join a Venture unit, or apply for Jambo staff. I would think the Hundredth Anniversary Jambo is gonna book up pretty early. I don't know about other Venture types, but Sea Scouting seems to be always looking for youth to staff their operation.

Don't quote me, but since I've attended Jambo Contingent leader meetings every month for the past year, I'm 95% sure that my response is true. The Jamboree is a "Boy Scout" event limited to youth in Troops. While Venture Crews are a program of BSA, they are Crews and not Troops and do not qualify to go to Jambo. The age limit for attending Jambo is 1 years old and 1st class scout thru 17 years, 364 days. If your 18th birthday falls during Jambo, you can't go. He can go as staff however as long as he registers as an adult. He'd have to wear a Scout uniform even if he is in a Crew.

VENTURE CREW MEMBERS can only go as STAFF.

Beaver, I didnt know they allowed 1 year olds to be in Boy Scouts, much less attend a National Event like this;)

His only opportunity will be going as staff. I hope to go again then as well. I'm going this year as staff.

LPC -- I come not to shoot you, but to help you.

You are operating under two incorrect assumptions:

1) The 13 year old Scout is too young to attend the Jamboree.

2) The Jamboree is held every five years.

Both are incorrect.

To attend the Jamboree, below are the requirements from the National Jamboree web site found at www.scouting.org

"Boy Scouts and Varsity Scouts must be at least First Class Scouts. They must have completed the sixth grade or be at least 12 years of age by July 1, 2005, but not have reached their 18th birthday by August 3, 2005. All Boy Scouts and Varsity Scouts must participate in a prejamboree training experience; file a complete Personal Health and Medical Record prior to the prejamboree training; have been active in a troop or team for at least six months prior to July 1, 2005; and be approved by the unit leader and local council."

Secondly, the Jamboree is held ever FOUR years. The next one will be in 2009 . . . unless someone knows something I don't know. I'm sure there are rumors that they'll wait until 2010 to celebrate 100 years, but I doubt it. I remember that there was a strong rumor that suggested that a Jamboree would be held in 2000 to celebrate the new millenium . . . back at the 1997 Jamboree, but cooler heads prevailed.

So, I think the answer is that your 13 year old Scout can attend as a youth. If he would like to attend this year's Jamboree, it may still be possible. There may be a neighboring council that has openings if yours does not. Or, he can go in 4 years when he's 17.

I hope this helps.

Unc.

I'm missing something here. Thumper, did your council impose a minimum age for a boy scout to sign up for a Jamboree troop? I know of several 12 and 13 year old scouts from Milwaukee who are attending (including my own son).

The minimum age for this years National Jamboree is 12 and you need to be a First Class Scout.

Unc,

They have moved the 2009 Jambo to 2010 in order to mark the 100 years.

Jamborees are as a rule for Scouts not for Venturers.

There is a world Jamboree in England in 2007, which will mean that the one after is in 2011. Kinda close to our 2010!!

Eamonn.

Thanks all...

I guess the 14 by the first day of Jambo is our council? That's interesting! I can check for him with the neighboring councils since there are 3... I guess our council to the west would be from Hawaii?

I really thought there was going to be a Jambo in 2010. It'll be interesting to see if that really hits. I do remember the talk about having one in 2000. Sure would help a bunch if they really did hold it again in 4 years. I was just curious if others were facing this problem, sounds like they aren't.

It's going to be interesting to see how the "good old boy" club at Jambo handles this mess. Thanks folks!

Guys:

I don't doubt you, I'm just looking for the reference. Where and when did national say the next Jamboree would be in 2010?

I must have missed a memo.

Unc.

PS -- tout le monde -- these guys are probably right.

UG

This is copied from www.scouting.org

"The participant survey, BSA after-action report, and a similar U.S. Army after-action report will become the catalyst to develop a plan of action for the 2010 National Scout Jamboree."

Hope that helps. God willing my husband, our son and his grandfather will all be going with our troop.

Carol

cubbingcarol,

I certainly hope three generations of your family will be going to the next jamboree. This year my father, my sister's son and I are all going with our council's contingent. It's going to be a very, very special experience.

For what it's worth.....my council (Greater St.Louis Area Council)still has a few openings for youth in the Jamboree Troops. They're even offering a recruiting bounty ($$) to any Scout that signs up another Scout.........so be sure to check your local council. Good Luck !

G5