Has The World Gone Nuts? Or Am I Lost In The Dark Ages?

The first car I ever had was brand new. I however was not - 23 years old and recently graduated from college.

Growing up, I witnessed my parents cars repossessed, utilities turned off, no phone service, etc. But you know what, I'm better off because of it. I was lucky in that I lived in the poorest house in the neighborhood but it was a typical middle class neighborhood. I received grants and scholarships to go to school and bummed many a ride off friends. Working numerous jobs every summer was a great lesson in learning what I did NOT want to do for a career.

Now, I make a comfortable salary, have a stay at home wife, three kids, two cars, house in the suburbs, etc. My kids have never been without and that is good. Worrying about finances should not be on the list for children. Will they get a new car from Dad? No. Do they expect one? Well, the oldest will turn 15 in August so I have not crossed that bridge just yet.

What are considered necessities these days? Internet access? Cable or satellite TV? Microwave oven? Two cars? Cell phones? MP3 players? "Select" sports team memberships? The list goes on and on. It is very difficult for todays youth and adults for that matter, to envision entertainment without beaucoup $$. Some of the best times that I remember were playing cards and board games with my family growing up and later on with other couples before kids.

Boy do I sound old!(This message has been edited by acco40)

re: the $900 handbag: I'm paying $600 jambo fees plus travel expenses plus oa flaps plus miscellaneous extra uniform parts to spend three weeks of my vacation in the Virginia summer heat and sleep in an army tent. And my non-scouter friends think i'm the crazy one...

Sandy,

Just think how nice those extra OA flaps would look if you had them in a $900.00 purse.

I have a ASM attending the Jamboree with his two sons.

With extra uniforms (This was one way of making him but a pair of Scout pants!!) He must be close to $3,000.

Then to add to it all his wife and Her That Must Be Obeyed have said that if we are going away so are they!!

Last I heard they were looking at some place in either Florida or New Orleans.

I will end up with my Boy Scout tan! A poboy or bucket full of crabs with a set of mouse ears.

Eamonn.

Hey - it could be a new fashion statment!

I already get laughed at for my OA laces in my boots.

Wonder if our LEC would approve selling it out of the lodge box? hmmmm.....maybe I could give the lodge vice chief a new beamer for HS graduation...