Where do you hold SM conferences?

In another thread, the issue came up of privacy vs. Youth Protection during Scoutmaster conferences. These need to be private conversations between the SM and the candidate, but also need to comply with the YP policy of no one-on-one. This is an excellent point, and worth discussing.

Where do you hold your SM conferences?

IMO, the ideal time and location is on campouts. I like to go off 50 yards or so and sit down with the candidate in full sight of the rest of the camp. However, sometimes other times are necessary. I prefer not to do these conferences during troop meetings because there is always so much else going on and I want to give the fellow my whole attention. Occasionally I will hold a SM conference at my home, sitting on the front porch, in view of the neighbors and with my wife home.

We do ours during troop meetings. Our scouts have to request an SM conference a week in advance so the SM can set aside time during next weeks meeting. He then presents them to the committe so the scout can schedule a BOR with them. That usually happens the following week. Since they are done at meetings, we don't do conferences or BOR's on demand. No one has ever requested doing one at camp. Now, we have had a few at camp.....but they were not for advancement! We meet in a very small church and we only have access to three sunday school rooms. One room is for our meeting and another is used by the parents and committee. We use the third room for conferences and an ASM sits in for YP. Honestly, the configuration of our set up and the small size of the rooms does not allow us to do them out of ear shot but within view of others.

Our Troop meetings are in a very large room with a lot of tables and chairs. We are able to have SM conferences in the back of the room away from the group, or sometimes, we sit at a table on the stage. (Talk about being in view!) Everything depends on how much noise there is. The scout usually has to scheduled a conferences a week ahead.

This past weekend, we had a campout for new scouts. 12 earned their Tenderfoot by the time we had the campfire, Saturday night. We had scoutmaster conferences and board of reviews going on all over the place. I had extra assistant scoutmasters and committee members scheduled to come out for dinner Saturday, so we could get everyone done.

My van was parked there, and it was not raining then, so I opened the two back doors, and the scout and I talked sitting on the back.

We conduct them wherever we can. Most are done at meetings. We have access to the schools cafateria and gymnasium, so the SM goes to which ever one is quiter. However, I have also had two done at campouts (with 2 different scoutmasters) and even had one over the telephone. We usually don't have enough MC on campouts to do BORs otherwise we probably would do those on campouts too.

Our set-up is similar to Troop185's. I conduct my SM conferences in one of the back corners -- whichever is open. There's no place in the room that isn't in full view of everyone so YP is never an issue.

I normally hold these at the troop meeting, but I'm willing to do them anywhere (within YP rules).

We meet in a gymnasium, so it's easy to sit in the bleachers in one corner and do the SM conferences during our troop meetings. We set the conferences for the last week of the month, and BOR's for the first week of the month.

We meet in the fellowship hall of the church. It's big enough to hold SM conferences at on end while the Troop is at the other end. When I was the SM, I did a lot of SM conferences on camping trips or at summer camp.

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

We'll do them any number of different places...on a camping trip (in camp but away from the activity)...troop meeting (at one end of the hall during gathering and ending times)...before or after a meeting where the parent remains in sight. As our troop grows, I have asked more ASMs to perform conferences if the scout is okay with that. As part of the training of ASMs on conference conduct, I have with the scout's permission had ASMs join us for the conference. In such cases, we may retire to a separate room at our CO's facility.

Where can be anywhere. I think the when is what is most important. You should do them when neither you or the scout are pressured by time, or distracted by other responsibilities. The scout needs time to think and express his thoughts. You need to be able to give the scout all of your attention to listen to him and be focused on his answers and not on other activities, so that you can give thoughtful counsel.

BW

I agree with BW. That is why I dislike holding a SM conference during a troop meeting. At a troop meeting I am usually pulled in many directions and can't give my full, uninterrupted attention to the Scout. Also, many times the boys bunch up their requests to right before a COH and I get multiple requests on a specific night which does not bode well.

My preference is on an outing. It is usually in a relaxed setting and I do not have time pressures. I have also given my share of conferences at my house.

Now, the parents preference is to hold them during a troop meeting. That way, they save more time. Sadly, they see the SM conference as just another ticket punch to get Johnny another step toward Eagle.

I have held them at meeting and camping. On campouts, usually in the afternoon so that a BOR can be convened after dinner and Vespers. I always stay in camp or the same room as our meetings. As for an Eagle SM conference, I set up a time with the candidate and see to it that there are no disturbances.

I will hold them any time...anywhere.

Typically they are held after the Troop meeting.

I have a table in the back of the meeting hall, while the Scouts are cleaning up, I get the SM Conference in.

The typical senario is the parents sitting at one end of the room, usually by the door waiting for us to get finished.

I do like to do them on campouts though, there is something very relaxing about that setting.

The best one yet was on a hike. Walking with a Scout.. just pulled back a bit, still in view on the group.

Jerry