Our troop has a current situation which, while perhaps unusual, certainly can't be unique; I seek the wisdom of the forum.

This spring, a young fellow ("Josh") came with his best friend ("Bill") to join the troop. Bill had been a Cub Scout and had earned his AoL. Together with several other fellows in his WEBELOS Den, Bill crossed over and registered with our unit. However, Josh had not been a Cub Scout and, like Bill, he is still in the 5th grade (They both graduate in 2 weeks).

However, Josh was sold on scouting and wanted to join the troop right away. We explained the joining rules to his parents and they agreed that he would have to wait until June to register with the troop. However, Josh really, really, really wanted to go camping. The CC and I decided to allow him to camp with us as a "prospective recruit" as long as his parents supplied a medical form and an activity release.

So my two questions are: Can he count this campout towards Tenderfoot requirements 1, 2, and 3? I can see both sides of this.

And, more generally, what liability protection do the CO, troop, and volunteer leaders have in cases of injury with a non-registered guest?

Both accident and liability coverage would be in force providing the safety policies are followed, otherwise only the accident poicy would be in-force.

To avoid problems in the future I recommend you stick to the rules. Until he is legitimately registered he is not a member and cannot complete requirements. If you fudge for him others will expect the same and before you know it another "tradition" is born.

btw -

when we are recruiting 5th grade, 2nd semester Webelos, "inviting' them to participate in a troop activity, we follow Webelos rules and allow them to count the activitiy toward their boy scout activity requirements.

In other words - a Webelo is still a cub and must have 1 parent/ 1 child supervision - and there are certain things a scout of that age can't do without training, etc - like if he canoes, he must pass the BSA swim test.

So I would encourage a parent to go with this boy. It's a good intermediary step in this case, lets you get to know the family, who has not been previously involved in scouting, and let them know about your troop and program.

laura

Laura,

He won't be 11 until July. That was the problem.

Yes, when WEBELOS camp with us we always have a parent along. However, he isn't a WEBELOS (and neither are his buds, any longer). So we treated him the same as we would any other fellow who wanted to go on a "sample" campout before deciding to join. BTW, we have had several of those prospective recruits. Some have joined and some haven't.

Our district recently held a Spring Round Up in which they went to the 5th and 6th grades and recruited boys in the Troops. They (the DE's) did sign up one 5th grade boy to our troop who was never a Cub Scout. Since this was done by the District our Troop thought it was OK for him to join us. I don't know his age or DOB.

Should we contact our DE about this?

Membership conditions to join Boy Scouts.

1) At least 10 years old and Arrow of Light

2) At least 10 years old and completed the 5th Grade

3) At least 11 and not more than 18 years old

meet any one of these and you can join.

(This message has been edited by Bob White)

Trevorum,

I can't speak to the liability issue directly; haven't been confronted by this exact situation. Your council can give the correct answer and you really should check with them.

Regards credit for requirements before they sign up, I'd love say "yes" because it seems like good intent is there, but I think I'd have to say "no" if it was in my troop. There will be other campouts he can get credit for, and he'll have a good time anyway. If you stretch the rules too much in this area, you might open a can of worms for yourself, including the "I was ALMOST done with my Eagle project before I was 18".