SM issue violation of YP and more

Here's my situation:

Scouts A and B are brothers who have had major dissagreements with my scoutmasters. As a result, they left my troop in September. We keep scoutbucks accounts and these two boys had money in their accounts. Troop policy reads that if they transfer to another BSA unit (which they did) we will give them their funds.

A few weeks back I noticed that the funds had never been transferred. I approached the Treasurer and told him I had the contact info for these scouts and their new SM. He was so glad that I offered this to him and thanked me.

At a troop meeting, I was with a fellow scout in a back room. The SM walks in, informs us we should go back in the main roon with the troop. As I am leaving he stops me and tells the other scout to go. We are now one on one in the back room and he begins to give me a very stern lecture about what I did. "I was sticking my nose where it didn't belong" and "Causing a ton of problems." I really felt bad, but the treasurer, unaware of what happened like everyone else, again thanked my for the info about scouts A and B. I was so confused.

I have many other issues with my SM:

He refuses to allow scouts to fullfill religious obligations on campouts (attend Mass) and will not compromise in any way; he makes promises (to teach MBs, buy equip, etc) and never keeps them, and he tends to think everything is a joke, many scouts have been in a difficult situation and come to him and he just starts making jokes.

HELP what should I do. I have notified my council concerning the youth protection issue.

It is a YP issue for the somple reason thatthe SM met one on oone with the sout out of view of another adult or scout. That is indeed a dirrect voiolation of the Youth Protection policies and should not have been done. No one-on-one contact is an vitally importand safety policy that every adult leader needs to know. If you are an adult leader and were unaware of this policy you need to get to training NOW!

eaglescout2004, while I realize that you thought you were helping the fact is the two boys have their own minds and mouths as well as parents to represent them. Other peoples financial business are really none of yours, you had no reason to involve yourself in this matter. Neither you or the scoutmaster were correct in your behaviors.

I agree with Bob that this is indeed a YP issue. On the other issue, I am sorry to say, you couldn't be more wrong. This is troop business and the money should follow the boys to the other troop. There is no reason that that the boys should not be aware and involved in the finances of the troop. Making sure that the treasurer is aware of the contact information was the right thing to do.

I have done the same as an adult leader myself. I would not tolerate a dressing down from an adult when I am simply making it easier for the troop's officer to follow the troop's own policy.

We talk endlessly about boy run troops. If a boy steps up to provide information to help it run like it should we should not cut him down for it. It is possible that bringing the subject up caused some friction among the adults and maybe even a row between the treasurer and the SM. They should be adult enough to not let such animosity be taken out on an innocent scout. We at this forum should not be piling on after the fact.

While the assumption seems very likely, do we know if the original poster is a Scout & not an adult leader? If he is a Scout, this is a YP violation.

The other issue about the money was the correct thing to do. Your Troop policy should be followed or should be scrapped. From what you posted it sound like the money was never going to be transferred.

A Scout is trustworthy.

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10(This message has been edited by evmori)(This message has been edited by evmori)

First, I guess we're making the assumption that the original post was from a Scout.

If the backroom being described is such that they were out of view of others, than it is a YP violation. If, however, the backroom is such that they were in view of the other members of the troop meeting, than it's not a YP problem any more than a Scoutmaster conference would be.

Second, the description of the discussion would seem to be contrary to the philosophy of a boy-led unit. The Scouts should never be afraid to come forward with what they think is useful information, and even if the SM disagrees with the information being presented, they should never give a Scout a "stern talking to" for providing such information. How can you instill trust in the SM if the Scouts fear getting into trouble?

I am a 16 year old scout.

All my scoutmasters (including the treasurer) were not in good relations with these boys and their parents. If I had not given them the contact info the money will not be transferred. What really got to me was that the SM was unhappy with me but the treasurer/asst. SM was very glad I did what I did.

It seems to me that you are getting interpersonal problems & YP issues intertwined. In doing so, you lose some credibility. I believe it would be better for you to approach them as two seperate issues.

As for the money situation, you have done your part. You may not be aware of what has gone on behind the scenes. This is really an issue for the Troop Treasurer, a committee position. The SM had no reason to come down on you for it, perhaps it just rubbed a raw nerve.

As for the YP issue, let me first state that I try to be very strict in my interpretation of the policy. However, I don't run and report every gray-area violation to council. To do so would result in an appearance of "crying wolf". Also, some councils take these issues more seriously than others, and you don't want to ruin the career of a good scoutmaster, if no harm was intended.

While the "no 1-on-1 contact" rule seems very straightforward, I've had disagreements with other scouters on its interpretation. This is why I am reluctant to go straight to council. On one extreme, I've heard some say that anywhere in the meeting place is okay, since all of the doors are unlocked and someone could walk in any time. On the other extreme, I've heard it said that if you turn the corner in a hallway and the people 10 feet away can't see you then you are in violation. Obviously, I believe the accurate interpretation is somewhere in between.

I would approach it like this. Go to the Troop Committee Chairman. (Take a parent if you prefer.) Tell him what happened and that you have observed this type of YP mistake in the past. Ask him to (1) report it to council if he knows it is a repeat violation; or (2) discuss the issue with the SM and review YP procedures. If the SM doesn't agree that there is an issue, offer to meet with them (CC & SM) to explain your POV. Whatever the case, tell the CC that you will report future violations directly to council.

I like this approach for several reasons. First, you have taken responsibilty to report it to a person of higher authority. Second, you have left open the door for the SM to correct his behavior if it is an honest mistake. Third, you have made it known that future situations will not be overlooked and will be reported directly to council. This puts the pressure on the CC to do his job.(This message has been edited by EagleInKY)

Yes, this was definately a YP issue. The SM specificaly told 1 scout to leave & the other scout to stay. From the description, this was done on purpose so that no one else could see or hear what went on.

Perhaps it should have been reported to the CC before the Council, but it definatly should have been reported to someone. This was no "grey area" thing.