Ever hold a Picture night

I am just thinking out loud.

Could a photogragher be hired/arranged to take pack photos, den photos and individual photos similar to soccer. Maybe a parent could do it with some prep.

This would be a great keepsake and could be used to encourage uniform wearing.

Any experience with a photo night?

We've done it.

For cubs, it was done during the gathering time of our B&G. For troop, it was done during gathering time of a COH. Scouts are usually in their best uniforms on those evenings.

Everyone had an individual portrait taken and den/patrol portrait (buying was of course optional, but most people buy). The photographer had the option of superimposing the portrait on a faux cover of Boys Life. Having the US flag in the background looks good too. We also had families show up decked out for family portraits (sisters in girls scout uniforms, parents were uniformed). It pays to have the order packets in people's hands well inadvance to speed things up. The sports photography guys are usually the most reasonable and work well with kids.

Always well received.

I am the 'unofficial' troop photographer since joining our troop 4-5 yrs ago -

we get a group photo at the start of each major event (in uniform) like a high adventure trip, summer camp, etc. Periodically thru the year I try and catch the boys in uniform for individual photos for their TroopMaster file photo.

I also get a couple of group photos at Scout Sunday. These are usually our best and update the whole troop at least once a year. We have a reception between services, and this is a great time to get multiple photos of everyone in uniform, with the leaders, parents and Pastor, individual photos of the boys for Troopmaster files, and family group photos with their boys.

This works really well for us, because, for some odd reason the Methodist Church (which charters our troop) has Scout sunday a week AFTER everyone else - and the whole troop participates in the service, regardless of their church affiliation - and almost everyone shows up!

As a hint - if you have a troop person do the photos - use a good digital camera and take a couple of the same 'group' pose - this way you can 'cut and paste' the goofy/weird expressions out and come up with a terrific photo of EVERYONE!

laura

We take a group photo in February on our uniform inspection night. But my favorite picture we take each year is at the end of summer camp. We get the guys in new (clean) camp t-shirts, with all the parents who came to camp and take a picture in front of the camp sign. It's always colorful and brings back memories of camp.

We have been doing this for the last few years. We bring a professional photographer in who takes a group shot and any parent who is interested can pay for a solo portrait of their son in uniform. Everybody seems to like the idea.