Application for adult leader

Hello,

I am new to the post and have a question about what may make you ineligible to be an adult leader.

I had a misdemeanor for violating a restraining order in 1998 and was concerned that this would automatically get me turned down from the BSA.

It was an offense due to a letter and 2 phone calls, none of them violent in nature. The restraining order was for no contact what so ever. The fact still remains that the order was violated and I pleaded no contest.

I have a 11 year old son and would sure like to be involved with him in this venture.

It was the only thing ever on my record with the exception of a few minor traffic violations.

Nothing else on my application would cause a denial.

I would appreciate a response because I would prefer not to apply if it was all for not. It was a rough time in my life and a very embarrassing situation that I just as soon not explain unless it might change the acceptance of the application for the better.

Thanks,

Ringbo

Welcome to the forum.

To be very honest I don't know what to tell you.

If you explain the situation to charter organization Rep and the District Executive, they may be able to help.

However, I don't know what the computer will come up with when it runs a check.

I think, but don't know!! That the Scout Executive (The Boss, in the Council Service Center) may be able to use a certain amount of judgment.

If I were you which I know I'm not I would speak to these guys, fill out the application and see what happens.

I wish I could have been of more help.

Eamonn.

I agree with Eamonn --- go ahead and file the application. Include a statement just as your describe it, with any documentation you might care to supply.

I don't think a misdemeanor charge of the kind you describe would cause your app to be turned down. If I received your application, I'd make a point of calling your references and including the results of those calls with the application.

Welcome to Scouting!

Here's a suggestion ---- don't get buried just in your Scout Troop or Pack. There are a lot of nice people and activities at the District level. Find your District website and look for some activities to participate in --- Roundtables, Powwows, the District picnic and such can be a nice way to meet new people.

Seattle Pioneer

• 2 weeks later...

I certainly would not choose you as a direct leader with boys in my Troop. It's not the council/national that has the say but the commitee with the consent of the SM. There are Leaders who are serial killers, petifiles, and child abusers who got into scouting with out detection.Scouting program needs thes safe guards to protect our children. As mentioned there are other jobs, on psid proffesional level that you might get in .But as a vulenteer leader is out of the question. Juris, www

Scouter wants to know what secrets.we have in Scouting, well many There are secrets in the Disdrict/ local councils,regions, and on national levels. We only find out about them is in the news print, if you are lucky enough. There are two division of Scouting. The volunteers and the proffesionals. Most of the volunteers Scouters know more abaut Scouting movement then the paid proffesionals. There is a continues rift between these two elements of the organization.The proffesionals use their laws and by laws which they wrote without the consent of Scouters, but the Scouters live and use the Scout law. And you ask if there are secrets? Keep learning and ask questions.Juris

PS...Read some of my other comments in the forum

You are certainly welcome to apply your own standards to your own organization, juris.

Personally, the kind of violation described wouldn't prevent me from accepting someone as a Scout leader by itself.

I would consider the person as a whole. An otherwise good person with such a misdemeanor violation might make a good Scout leader, in my opinion.

Seattle Pioneer

Ringbo,

You sound like a reasonable guy that had one isolated event for which you seem to be repentive of. [Plus you can spell and demonstrate proper punctuation.] I am sure a troop would welcome your participation after you have explained the situation.