MILITARY SURPLUS AND BOY SCOUTS

Yes, we are. Our council has an account with the State of Hawaii agency that deals with surplus property (DAGS), and all we need to do is visit the warehouse, tag what we want, and there's a little paperwork. There's a slight charge, council pulls it from our unit account up there, and the property is ours. If we need something that's not in the DAGS warehouse, we can meet the DAGS screener at our local DRMS (Defense Reuitilization and Marketing Service) office, and if the property is available for State issue (after DoD and GSA cycles), the DAGS screener can get it transferred to State for us, and then the rest of the process begins. The same opportunity is available to a wide range of qualifying organizations, including schools, community groups, and other non-profits.

If you want to know more about not just military surplus, but any federal government surplus property and its availability to your unit, visit the DRMS web site at www.drms.dla.mil. On that page, look at the middle of your screen, and there's a link called "R/T/D Customers". Click on that, and you'll be on the RTD Home page. Scroll down until you get to the "Donation" section, where they cover "State Agencies for Surplus Property". Do some reading in the links, and you'll find out who to contact from your state to get involved in this.

It can be a great source of supplies and equipment. A few caveats though. It's very rare to find state-of-the-art anything through DRMS. Remember, all this stuff has been turned in as excess by some federal agency. Some of it's in good shape, and some isn't. Also, most of that stuff is ruggedized for field use and designed for adult men to use -- it may or may not be suited for use by boys. Finally, when you're in these warehouses, keep your head screwed on straight -- avoid the temptation to buy the zodiac boat for $25 for safety afloat training! You know, the old "kid in the candy store" syndrome...

Happy hunting,

KS

Let me add a little bit to what KS has said.

It is a very good program. the main drawback is the State office that you must work through. On the State agency for Federal surplus can draw from DRMS. Some states are more restrictive than others.

In the Case of NY they are fairly easy to work with. I screen the Local DRMS office for 3 councils in the local area. We have drawn thousands of dollars worth of equipment for them and local troops.

But like KS said you have to be picky sometimes and look the stuff over good.

I work in emergency management and the office participates in the surplus property program. I have not found much there that the boys can use but I keep looking. That Zodiac for $25 sounds really good though for the Explorers who are on the Search and Rescue unit.

After reading all the information our State office sent, I am not suprised they wanted me to submit a blood sample also.

I am still in the process of doing our initial paperwork, but when it came to a 501 c 3 number, no noe could tell me where I could get it. Finally someone at BSA Irving told me. (our CO's number).

Yeah, the Zodiac boat sounds good also. I wonder if the church would let me get a 6x6 to haul the boys and gear in. :)

Well then from the feedback, I guess it is beneficial afterall. My thoughts were that it would not be a real drain on the Troop for new gear.

Also, I have found out that the State colleges and other public corporations have offices that donate to Non-Profits. Paperwork is required there also.

To get the initial paperwork for the Gsa Program contact your State. It may be under Surplus Property. If not you can visit the GSA website and if you take your time, you can find the names of the State offices in charge.

Resp.

Meckanic

Scoutmaster

I have been on both sides of this, being an ASM as well as the Hand Receipt Holder for a property list for the Army. I have disposed of many items that would have been great for scouts (and, uncharacteristically, much of the property was in good condition)...BUT...my property officer either doesn't know about this program or else the program doesn't apply in my situation - anyway, I've been unable to get material to the scouts. So the property goes away the regular old way.

Incidentally, for me this process terminates at a DRMO, not the DRMS. I guess the problem is at the state end here so I'll check further. Sure would be nice to get this stuff to the boys.

The DRMS operates DRMOs -- the terms are essentially interchangeable. Like others, I've been identifying excess for DRMO, doing removals from DRMO in my military capacity, and using state release to get surplus property for my Scout unit. My military access to our local DRMO may give me a bit of an advantage -- when I'm in there in my military uniform, I can spot property (although I can't screen it) while it's in the federal/DoD cycle, then ask the state DAGS screener to scoot back out there as soon as it enters the State cycle. If you have any military members affiliated with your unit, ask them -- they may already be on an authorizing document to do turn-ins or issues. That'll get them in the door at the DRMO, and if you're linked up with your State agency that can screen and get property issued, the rest is a piece of cake.

As I understand it, the only legal and correct way for any Scout unit to obtain this property is after it's been turned in to DRMS as excess, then DoD and other Fed users have their 21 days to "reutilize" it, then it's available to the States and in turn to us. I believe the State availability period is 30 days after the federal/DoD 21 day period, then the whole mess gets turned over to a contractor (Government Liquidators or GL for short) for auction to the general public. That's your last option, and it's not a very good one. It's internet bids, just like on e-Bay, and if the DRMO with the property is not near you, they refer you to a local shipper (more $$) if yours is the winning bid. That's not likely, because the property is mostly grouped in lots by GL, and military surplus businesses with deep pockets run all the bids up. Much better to tap into the State cycle, before it goes to GL.

KS

KS

KS and others

KS, you got it almost right. For those of you who have never worked with this let me give you the full discription of how it works and how to screen and obtain property. The process for surplus from the Entire Department of Defense all goes to the Defense Reutilization and Marketing Service or DRMS. DRMS runs The DRMO's which are the local offices world wide.

Once an Item is turned over to the DRMO it enters a 14 day DOD screening cycle, during this time only DOD can requisition the items. After 14 days DOD then it goes 21 days of GSA screening which any federal agency can requisition the items. After this it goes to a 7 day donation cycle which the State Agencies for Surplus Property or SASP can put in a bid for the item. If more than one SASP asks for an item then a central office in NY deceides which stae gets the item. After it is allocated to a state then the state can sub allocate to any eligable Town, city, of Non-profit that has registed with them.

If you obtain an item you must retain it and cannot dispose of it with out permissin for 12 to 18 months depending on the item. After that you can do anything you wish with it.

In order to participate you must be registered with your Local SASP. What is required to register differs from state to state. You must pay the SASP a small user fee for items obtains , but these are usually negotible with them and are very minor, usually.

Now screening of items, you do not have to physically go to the DRMO to screen items. Screening can be done on line at

http://www.drms.dla.mil/asset/govegeo.html

When screening there are lots of ways to look at it as you can see on the web. Part of the secret is to look at what is in the GSA cycle not the donation cycle. If you look at GSA cycle you see what is coming up, when it hits donation its almost to late to ask your SASP to bid on the item.

It is a very good program, I screen for 3 local councils in the NY area. Just as an example of what you can get here is a partial list of what we have obtained in the last few years.

Metal beds and mattresses for camps

Row Boats and trailers

Pickup trucks

Canoes and canoe trailers

Tentage

Heaters

Snow Shoes

Skis

Computers and printers

Office supplies

Tools

Generators

and the list goes on.

Troops and councils can save vast amouts of money by using the program, but you have to look at it at least weekly in order to see whats out there and available.

If I have confused you totally send me a private message and I will try to help you out.

NLDSCOUT

Actually, that helped A LOT! It filled in the blanks for a lot of the process I didn't understand. Scary, isn't it? I now see that I need to get our non-profit on a friendly basis with the state people. Then I will try the procedure again, maybe this time with success. Thanks

For me to travel 5 hours to the State Warehouse to get the stuff, I just hope it is worth it. Now do the State Agencies do requests by NSN (National Stock Number) or do they just want you to put "pup tent".

I thought it would be worth it for the Troop to allocate this type of surplus (clothing, boots and misc. personnel gear). I do not know of how many times a kid came to a campout in his school jacket or prepare to do a hike in gym shoes.

My thoughts were to acquire the items, have the Scout sign a form stating he has received and will return the item (if he quits).

As for private corporations, I have noted that most have a "excess equipment" people. The private corporations usually donate office equipment and furniture.

Resp.

Meckanic

Scoutmaster