Cooking in Camp...expectations

Ed, it is not believable that you could not understand what I mean. Your arguments are so weak it seems more as if you were purposely mnisrepresenting what I wrote in order to bait an argument. If "be prepared" were a more involved or complicated concept I may have been tempted to spar. But it's not, so I won't.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bob and Ed,

Here's how I interpret both of your positions in regards to the recent "be prepared" posts. Please correct me if I'm wrong (as I know both of you will :)

Ed, I believe you're saying that as adult leaders, we must always be prepared for a variety of situations. Not only does it set a good example, but it's what any responsible scout or scouter would do. So, having some extra food and some spare matches or a large trash bag that can be converted to a poncho is helping keeping the boys safe. Just an extra precaution.

Bob, I believe you're saying that we're not teaching the boys how to be prepared if we don't hold them accountable. If adults are always there to bail them out (because we're so darned prepared) then when or why will the boys learn how to be prepared on their own?

Am I getting this right? I think there's plenty of gray area between these two points that most in this forum will agree with. They're both valid stances, but I also think they can coexist. I feel adult leaders can be prepared and offer a hand to the boys while still holding them accountable and teaching responsibility.

Zahnada,

Good summation! Thanks.

And for the record, the adults do not need to be prepared to "bail out" the Scouts. The adults need to set the example by being prepared.

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

No, that's not it Zahnada. What I'm saying is that you cannot teach a scout how to be prepared if he thinks that it is ok to forget something because an adult will give him what he is missing.

A scout will learn something if it interests him or if he needs it. It is not about holding them accountable. It's about training them and then trusting them.

Giving them what they are missing is no different then telling them what to do. It keeps them dependent on you as the adult, when in fact we are supposed to be making them independent.

If the adult is always giving them what they need and telling them what to do then the scout never has the opportunity or the need to think on their own.

It keeps the adult "in charge".

I never said nor have I implied the Scouts should rely on the adults if they forget something. That is an interpretation that Bob made that is completely off base. What I said was we as adults need to be prepared as an example for the Scouts. Zahnada interpreted my post exactly the way I meant it!

And didn't the founder of the Scouting say when asked what we are to be prepared for "Anything"?

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

I think I will try a new approach

Ed, Bob, I cant send you both the same PM so I will post this here. Enough already, any further discussion you guys have over this topic do it via PM. Any further posting from either of you on this topic will be erased.

Cooking! Yes! I finally took the plunge and am bidding on a DO on e-bay even as we speak. Haven't done much DO cooking but I'm going to do some experimenting with lower fat dishes than we end up with on our cookouts. I do enjoy DO preparation but I'm sure others have been there before me with healthier recipes that don't involve a pound of bacon or two/three sticks of butter.

Vicki

Back on Page 2 of this discussion, I related that twenty years ago several days into a rowboat camping trip, I woke up to a campful of Boy Scouts too fatigued to make breakfast on their own initiative. Only the Patrol Leader had enough gumption to build a small fire and roast a hotdog for breakfast.

As Scoutmaster, I responded to that by tossing the hotdog in the fire and directing the Patrol Leader to get his patrol busy cooking breakfast. He di and they did. They needed some leadership.

If it had been a patrol member cooking the hot dog, I doubt if I'd have said anything to him ---he would have arguably been doing his best.

But stand by while the Patrol Leader looks after himself at the expense of the rest of the boys in the patrol? No.

The Patrol Leader needed to recognize that his patrol members were sitting around because they were hungry and because they needed leadership to get going.

I continue to think this was a reasonable response to the situation.

Seattle Pioneer

Ed, I'll tell ya - my husband has bought and used Teflon and is on his second Calphalon fry pan. I continue to chug along with my cast-iron skillet and will NEVER give it up. The troop has three cast-iron DOs that are at that perfect stage of aging. Thanks for the advice, but wouldn't even consider aluminum - although I do have a funny story about a couple we met in Peru who borrowed our hotel kitchen and complained that it took so long to get to a "clean" surface on the cast-aluminum cookpot! I'm surprised a member of the staff didn't hurt them.

Seattle, I'll have to differ with you on approach. I still think it would have been far better to sit down next to the PL and ask him how he was planning to split that hot dog five or six ways. But these are very often spur-of-the-moment decisions and you said the message got across, so it's water far under the bridge at this point.

Vicki

Seattle,

On page 6 it is still the wrong approach.

Sitting down next to him and explaining to him that as the leader of his patrol, he needed to get the boys moving and get everyone fed was good.

Throwing the hotdog in the fire was just vindictive.