Okay, if you aren't obese, this isn't for you, read but please don't post.

I'd like this thread to be a place to encourage and celebrate Scouters who are doing something change their weight.

Hunt has lost 5 pounds, Seattle Pioneer reported losing 50. Hurray! I'm sure there are more.

Please post us with your successes and your failures.

Tell us what you're eating, especially when you dine out or camp out.

Tell us what you do to exercise and how it helps you, especially as a Scouter.

Oh and maybe we can do some uniform exchanging along the way.

So now that I've posted the question, I'll post my own situation. I've been losing weight for the past few months.

Mainstays of my diet are crockpot cooking, Subway wraps and Carl's Jr. Charbroiled Chicken Sandwiches (extra lettuce, extra tomato, extra onion - all at no extra charge).

I have no good answer for campout food except restraint. I spent the past week between OA Conclave and at a youth church camp and it set me back 5 pounds.

I'm shooting to get down to 200 (I don't want to be skinny) and I've got 110 pounds to go (it was 105 last week).

I treadmill a few times a week and use the time to pray. One minute for for this..., one for him..., one for her...it is amazing how fast 20 minutes flies by.

Only a month into my exercise program I staffed an OA event. During the course of the night, I walked about 12 miles up and down hills. Yes, it wore me out, but I hung in there all night.

I'm wearing my 3X shirts now and when I get down to 2X in a few months, I'll pull the patches from the 4X (currently my backups) and trade or sell them.

I apologize for responding when I'm not in your situation, but you wrote something that really moved me:

>I treadmill a few times a week and use the time to pray. One minute for for this..., one for him..., one for her...it is amazing how fast 20 minutes flies by.

What a terrific idea.(This message has been edited by tortdog)

My doctor has been on my case the last few times I've seen him to lose weight and lower my cholesterol. The last time I saw him, he laid it on the line and said if I don't do something, I'll die prematurely. That got my attention. I also went to see a cardiologist to adjust meds for cholesterol. The cardiologist also scolded me, but not as sternly, perhaps because he is about as overweight as I am.

For now, my diet plan is simple: no more eating after dinner. In my case, that was amounting to the equivalent of a fourth meal. I'm also trying to eat healthier the rest of the day. My exercise plan is to ride the exercise bike at least 4 times a week.

My top weight was about 240, and right now I'm at about 235 (so I'm really just starting). If I lose another 10 pounds or so, I'll no longer be officially "obese" but only "overweight." Can I keep posting here if that happens?

Hi All...

Keep up the good work.

I personally have lost 20 pounds and my husband has lost 15 (he just needed to tone up). We have been following Dr Phils plan. I lost my 20 in about 2.5 months but I need to get back on track as this last month we were so busy I wasn't able to stick to the plan. For excercise I walk 2 miles every day except Sundays and sometimes Saturdays. When we are on scout functions we try to take healthier stuff as well as cut back on the amount of food we eat. That and drink lots of water. I wish everyone lots of success in there goals. I still have 40 pounds to go.

Julie

Hurray for you.

Yes Hunt you can still post here after that. I'd love to hear about your continued success.

Julie, Kudos to you and your husband. It's always easier to do something with a partner. Keep at it.

The whole reason for asking only obese (and overwieght included) was to keep this thread supportive of one another as people who are walking the path together towards fitness.

I lost 57 lbs three years ago using Weight Watchers (they don't require that you attend meetings anymore) - down to the midrange weight for my height. I got my workouts up to almost an hour of treadmill or recumbent exercise bike and some calisthenics.

In the last year, especially, I've gained some of it back (18 lbs total) and I blame most of it on scouting food. Some of it is due to the fact that the church I serve does occasionally have irrestistible goodies. Summer camp was worth eight pounds, mostly because of the high carb, salt, fat content. Weekend camps are usually worth three pounds which I mostly lose in the week following. I'd lost six lbs until this past weekend (which was wonderful in every other respect - canoeing, fishing, EATING)! Exercise is down to a little over two miles a day in 35 minutes.

Gotta get motivated again - that's the key. As George Carlin says, "ya gotta wanna."

Vicki

Back in 2003, I was working on Camp Staff and typically weighed in at around 270-280. I was pretty active, a lot of walking and excersise at Summer Camp, sweating it out on the Archery range, but just eating all the wrong stuff to lose. Fortunately I was getting enough exercise to not gain anymore weight.

Three days ago, I was 239, and I am continuing to lose. This is not exactly a dramatic weight loss, but is a significant departure from where I was.

My Secret? Stay away from bread, pasta and non-diet soda. Sweets have never been a huge problem, honestly. I'm determined to roll back to 200 without any drugs or dramatic dieting.

I've tried those powder packet and pill diets, but none of them really worked. I'm not proud of the 240 that I weigh now, but especially at scout events, rarely will you see me sitting down. After all, i'm with the Cubbies now! :)

5'10" currently 260

start of Wood Badge 278 August 2003

July 04 301 lbs gross tonnage

Atkins and some exercise. Still watching carbs running up to two miles twice a week.

still fighting the battle. 5 gallons of water is about 41 lbs. I lift a five gallon pail of water when I need motivation.

Take care of yourself! lose some weight!

Well I went to the Dr today and he was pleased with my progress. I do feel guilty because I haven't had much time to really work on the eating right and excercising properly this past month but he encouraged me to get back on track ( I put 2 of the 20 pounds I lost back on). He even stated that he might try to reduce my blood pressure medicine. I have to go to the fire station on base and get my BP checked 5 times in the next 2 weeks and see what kind of reading they get. I have the tendency to get really nervous when I go to the Dr so my BP always goes up. He wants to try an experiment and see if a lot of my BP problems is just my nervousness. He said if he gets good results with that and I do a cholestoral screening that there's a good possibility that he will take me off the one med. I take 2 different blood pressure meds at the moment. I was so excited. The thought of having to take 1 less pill has really got me motivated to start working on my eating habits and my excercising. Keep working hard everyone. We can all make our goals.

Julie

What a great idea... I can tell I'll be venting here. I've been trying to loose weight for about six months, and have lost a total of 15 pounds. I'm 6'4" and would like to get down around 220, but that's over 40 pounds, and I'm stuck. Thanks for doing this. I'm glad to hear that there are others that are trying too.

Good topic! I lost about 18 pounds doing Atkins/South Beach about a year ago. I haven't lost any since, but I haven't gained it back, either. I'm thinking about Weight Watchers now, because I'd like like to lose about 30 more. I'm not sure about it, because it's important that I keep it off and the Atkins/South Beach is doing that. I'm 5'10" and about 207 right now. I'm not doing any outdoor Scouting anymore, so Scout food doesn't really affect me.

While I'm technically "obese" the Doc wants me to drop about 30#. I'd like to lose it before Philmont next summer. Starting Jan. 1 I basiclly cut out the desserts. That help a bunch. My office is now located out in no mans land and the closest place even for coffee is half a mile. Lunch time is now a 2 mile hike through the park and a quick salad. I'm down 10 and the cholesterol levels look better. Red yeast rice and pomagrante juice help with that also. My problem is that it's an industrial hazard in my my business.

On campouts we all take more hikes now, which is something I really enjoy.

Here's to good luck for everyone.

BTW Waight Watchers works better than other programs.

Yep, Weight Watchers worked for me. South Beach looks OK as long as you're reasonable about it. My husband wanted to do Atkins, I went along with him (with serious reservations) - I couldn't finish induction. Low blood sugar, mood swings, got downright ill. I know some people are successful with it, but it definitely isn't for everybody.

Added pushups and leglifts back to my workout this week - partly due to reading these posts. Also due to needing to wear those darn shorts by NYLT:

The wife wanted to try South Beach as a sort of New Years resolution. Since I figured it'd be almost impossible to do if you're the only one in the house doing it, I told her I'd go on it with her. So far, I'm down 62 pounds.

Not to worry, though, I'll always be able to post in this thread because, since the guidelines for what is "obese" are so absolutely ridiculous, even if I reach 100 pounds, I'll still fit in that category.