Where is the Forum For SCOUTS?

Thank you, Terry, for taking my Bright Idea seriously. Your comments illustrate that bright ideas are usually pretty cheap, while implementing them is usually difficult.

As a Scouter, I'd LOVE to be able to reply to posts by Scouts ---but that would rapidly defeat the whole purpose of having a Scout thread, I'd suppose. If Scouters were permitted to read a Scout forum, I'd suppose that the result would be a parallell discussion on a Scouter thread, to talk about the issues being raised. That might be OK.

If you wanted to avoid that kind of parallel discussion, you probably have to block Scouters from reading the Scout posts.

And to Bob White--- using the word "deserve" was just a turn of phrase, not intending to be critical of anyone's motives. Pardon me for a poor choice of words.

Seattle Pioneer

I think the youth participation here is valuable. It helps though to know who is posting, Cub adult, Boy Scout adult, or youth. It help put into perspective the thoughts being presented. Perhaps a star next to the username of our youth members?

Words are the only tools you have to convey what you mean here Seattle. I can only try to determine what you mean by what you write.

I would caution terry against a forum for youth requiring a separate password. I do not see how an adult pretending to to be a child would be filtered out. An open forum is the safest for the youth.

(This message has been edited by Bob White)

Main thing, the website owner is the person who has the power to allow Scouts to have their own forum. If he/she/they chooses to do so, they can, or not.

But, gosh, why the harsh words? Seattle's post just sounded to me like a rhetorical question as well as a request to the owners to consider the creation of a Scout forum, as is stated in the forum guidelines. Didn't sound to me at all like there was some sort of "deliberate slight" being implied. If we're going to interpret a post based on the phrasing, maybe we could try to see the "positive" in the post, or at least ask questions of the poster, rather than making assumptions and then responding to those assumptions.

I think a private area for Scouts could be difficult because you have no way of knowing who the posters actually are. For a Scout forum to work where they could post their own opinions, we'd probably need some sort of "gentlemen's/gentlelady's agreement" to not intrude on their discussions unless asked to do so.

Beyond that, I suppose there's a reason why it's "scoutER.com". :)

Terry,

I think a forum BY and FOR Scouts is a great idea and I encourage you to pursue the experiment.

While a private forum certainly has appeal, I would be interested in reading what Scouts have to say without the interferance of adults. Their thoughts and concerns could be extremely valuable to us as adult leaders. Such a forum would need to be prominently labeled "YOUTH ONLY" or something similar and it would require a moderator to remind the occasional adult stray.

Perhaps limiting posting ability to youth only? This would allow the forum to remain "open" for all to read, but keep adult comments out.

On the other hand, if a Scout is motivated enough to not only find this site, but also be interested in discussing scouting topics in a msg board environment, then I'm inclined to assume that they're mature enough to participate in our (usually) adult discussions.

The other question I would have is what topics would they be discussing here that is not offered elsewhere? Has anyone ever received feedback from a youth who wanted to post but was too intimidated by the rest of us 'ol folks?

If we're (or I should say, If Terry) is trying to encourage more scout input, perhaps putting a paragraph or two in the FAQ, or even locking a post to the top of the forums with a title of "Youth posters read here first", could alleviate any worries about contributing their view.

I think the idea of a youth forum is a good one. But IIRC, the posts made by new youth members tend to be along the lines "how do we get rid of a SM?" or something similar. Come to think of it, that could be the majority of adult postings as well. So much for that example.

I'll stop writing in circles and just ask - if we limit the forums to youth only - do we lose the valuable input of those who try run the program correctly, but can't pass this information/experience on to the Scout who posted?

Thanks for reading this far down in the post!

--Gags

I don't think a youth only forum is a good idea. One of the methods of Scouting is Adult Association and it may be the most powerful one here on the net, where anyone can claim to be anyone else, as has been done here numerous times. I can see identifying a youth by some sort of Icon, but to have section just for the youth I dont think is a good idea.

I think it would be a good idea for Scouts to post, I thought that they were able to already! I'm sure even Cub Scouts would have things to post, like questions they thought of or tell what activities they're doing & the fun they are having. It would be great to have the boy's point of view. The same with Boy Scouts. My son is a new Boy Scout & maybe "conversing" on a board with older Scouts he'd get an idea of what it's about, etc. from other Scouts besides the ones in his troop. I had more to write but my daughter, who's 8, starting playing "Jingle Bells" on the piano & all thoughts left my head!

Judy