BSAChaplain, in advance I want you to know that this is meant as a compliment. I have very much enjoyed your contributions to the threads and one reason is that they read very much like mini-sermons. Kind of refreshing. Wish I could figure out how to do it.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

>What bothers me though, and I see it a lot, as I'm sure many of you do too, is people that are obese (or whatever) through their own vices. I think this is a really big problem with our society and as such is in scouting in the US too.

First, in jest. I could not stop smiling at the suggestion that obesity in society is a big problem.

In seriousness, though, if the adult leader is unable to do the things required of the boys, how is he able to lead? If we can't show the boys how to do a pull up, or how to swim a lap, how effective are we as a leader in the physical aspects of Scouting? I don't think you can factually argue you against that.

That being the case, there are people who may not meet the physical expectations of Scouting, but who surpass physically fit adult leaders in connection with kindness, being honest, showing duty go God, etc. Unfortunately for those with obesity, the physically fit aspect is visually obvious. We don't know if someone is not kind until we have seen the interaction (and sometimes people "hide" the fact that they are unkind until its convenient).

So...I suppose it's one aspect that an obese scouter needs to work on (and likely should NOT be complacent in remaining that way), but it might be easier for that obese scouter to be a better scouter than someone who is fit but unkind.

I certainly hope the ability to demonstrate pull ups never becomes the standard for being a scouter. I couldn't even do them when I was a fit and trim 6'2", 180 lbs. 18 year old. I've always had lousy upper body strength. Now, if we want to start having scouts do leg presses, I can show them how to press about 380 Lbs.

A side note. I've had two surgeries on my left shoulder over the last 20 years. Last year I did attempt to "show" our new scouts how to do a pull up. I spent two days taking pain medication and keeping heat on my shoulder after that.

Consider a coach. Can he coach his players without having to go out and take a tackle to prove his worthiness as a coach?

Yesterday at the den meeting, we measured how the boys did on a number of things like push-ups and pull-ups for the Athlete Activity Badge. They are supposed to show improvement in 30 days (Yes, it's a lot like tenderfoot requirements 10a & 10b). It was very helpful to be able to demonstrate how to do pull-ups and push-ups. Especially the push-ups, young boys seem to have a lot of trouble figuring out how to keep their body straight.

Of course, if a person is not able, due to previous injury or something else, effective demonstrations can be achieved without actually performing the activity.

I think we're getting a bit off topic, sorry.

SWScouter