Female leader question! PHILMONT

hello,

My Dad is a Venture Leader that will be attending philmont in 2006. I have been to philmont before and wish to go again. PROBLEM Im a girl and our female leader, our only female leader cannot go again due to medical issues.AND i will be 19 by that trek.

Do i need a female leader even if my father is going ? In the past tour troop hasnt reguired it, but now they wont allow me to go.

Definitely get Philmoint's input, but your refernce to "troop tour" raises a question in my mind. Is this a Crew trek or a Troop trek on which you would be a guest? I'm hoping that its a Crew trip and there aren't any in house politiucs to deal with.

I've only been to Philmont for training and haven't been able to get my committee to even put a trek on our wish list.

Go For it.

Bob

"I've only been to Philmont for training and haven't been able to get my committee to even put a trek on our wish list."

Do the boys want to go? If the PLC puts this on the calendar at your annual planning conference, the committee shouldn't have much objection. They are there to support the PLC, not act as an impediment.

I'm confused. Are women banned from being adult leaders in a Boy Scout Troop?

Assuming the answer is NO, then here is a slightly different question:

I found a Boy Scout Troop website that has a requirement - they say it comes from BSA Policy - that in order for a female leader or parent to attend overnight camping, there must be no less than two attending females. That is to say that a lone female leader or parent may not attend Scout overnight campout. Can someone point me to that policy?

Also, regarding the age of adults, the GTSS says:

"Two registered adult leaders or one registered leader and a parent of a participant, one of whom must be 21 years of age or older, are required on all trips and outings."

I interpret that to mean that only ONE leader/parent at a trip or outing needs to be 21 years of age or older.

Even if we were talking about a Boy Scout Troop here, why couldn't Ventercrew125 become a registered ASSISTANT adult leader after she turns 18 and then join the trip? The only problem I see is the slight inconvenience of having to provide for separate facilities for showering, latrines, and sleeping - but that certainly shouldn't be too a big deal.

I feel like I missed some BSA gender rules.

I'm confused. Are women banned from being adult leaders in a Boy Scout Troop?

Assuming the answer is NO, then here is a slightly different question:

I found a Boy Scout Troop website that has a requirement - they say it comes from BSA Policy - that in order for a female leader or parent to attend overnight camping, there must be no less than two attending females. That is to say that a lone female leader or parent may not attend Scout overnight campout. Can someone point me to that policy?

Also, regarding the age of adults, the GTSS says:

"Two registered adult leaders or one registered leader and a parent of a participant, one of whom must be 21 years of age or older, are required on all trips and outings."

I interpret that to mean that only ONE leader/parent at a trip or outing needs to be 21 years of age or older.

Even if we were talking about a Boy Scout Troop here, why couldn't Ventercrew125 become a registered ASSISTANT adult leader after she turns 18 and then join the trip? The only problem I see is the slight inconvenience of having to provide for separate facilities for showering, latrines, and sleeping - but that certainly shouldn't be too a big deal.

I feel like I missed some BSA gender rules.

"... for a female leader or parent to attend overnight camping, there must be no less than two attending females."

BSA has no such rule. This is a good example of a unit making up its own rules. What's worse is stating "BSA policy" to support it. Not true.

"I interpret that to mean that only ONE leader/parent at a trip or outing needs to be 21 years of age or older."

That's what the G2SS says.

To clarify

Coed Venturing crews must have at least one male and one female advisor - both of whom are 21 or older.

If an 18 year old venture female wants to attend Philmont - she must have a 21 year old female go as an advisor, regardless of the fact that her father is the Venture Crew Leader.

Both male/female advisors must go en route and while hiking the trails. Philmont staff cannot provide staff to meet these guidelines.

So if you want to go with your Dad's crew - you've got to find a 21 year old female to go with you - no exceptions.

As to signing up as an ASM and finding a troop somewhere to go with, that's another question.

BP,

you said "Coed Venturing crews must have at least one male and one female advisor - both of whom are 21 or older."

Where did you get this statement from? Also, to clarify do you mean advisor (a position in a venture crew) or adviser (one who providce advice a.k.a. and adult leader)?

These are the Philmont Guidelines, which are the same as the Guide To Safe Scouting Guidelines for coed overnight activities.

I've used the term advisor, meaning adult leader. Even though both leaders must be over 21, technically only one must be a registered member of the BSA for standard co-ed actitities. Philmont guidelines are that both leaders be BSA registered with current Youth Protection Training.