What recourse does a parent of a webelo have when the webelo leader refuses to pass off advancements? Our leader does very little with the boys but refuses to take our word for things that we do with them. We talked with the cubmaster but she doesn't want to get involved.

Hi and Welcome to the forum,

Sad to say you are between a rock and a hard place. If the Cubmaster is not backing you up, you might try talking to the Pack Committee chair. But this really is a matter for the Cubmaster.

Sorry I can't wave a magic wand, but in Webelos Scouting the Webelos Scout Den Leader is the "Signer off-er"

Eamonn.

You need to have a talk with your Webelos Leader and find out what they WILL accept.

Most Webelos Leaders have the boys who do things at home bring in their work to show them & describe what they have done. Your son could keep a notebook with all of the things he has done for each activity pin.

A Eamonn stated, the Leader (or whoever they designate) is now the one to sign off on completed activites. Webelos is a transition time between Cub & Boy Scouts, & as part of that, responsibilty for achievements is taken from parents & given to other adults & the Webelos Scout.

You said the Leader does not do much with the boys. Have they earned their Webelos Rank Badge?

That's what I thought, too, at least, that's how it was when I was in Cubbing a few years back -- Webelos was either/or.

You said your Cubmaster doesn't want to get involved? Excuse me, but you don't have a Cubmaster, you just have someone wearing a shirt.

KS

No, in Webelos, the Den Leader approves all activity pin and rank advancement. He/she may designate someone else(like an assistant), but he/she does not have to.

There are some pins it makes perfect sense to allow the parent to sign off (Fitness and Family Member come to mind, both involve working in the home environment). One of the parents for my den was an RN and taught the Readyman badge, so he signed for that one.

Time to find a new Webelos Den leader.

Unfortunately you are in fact in a bad spot. The Webelos Den leader is the person that needs to sign off.

To expand on what Scoutnut said.. this is the transition year and a half.

Once the Scout gets up to a Troop, he will do alot of stuff at home, but will have to demonstrate to his leader (Scoutmaster, Assistant Scoutmaster, MB Counselor etc..)

The group sign off days will be over and this is the BSAs way of transitioning and getting the Scout used to not having Mom and Dad as Akela.

Jerry

Sorry, I stand corrected on the "Akela" for Webelos.

If your Cubmaster "doesn't want to get involved", you've got an additional problem in addition to your Webelos Leader.

One, I'd probably ask the Webelos leader what exactly is deficient for getting the signoff on an activity. "It doesn't meet my standards" or some such answer doesn't cut it. If the Scout completed the activity, it gets signed off. period. Even if he built, say, a birdhouse and no self-respecting bird would come near it; doesn't matter.

Two. A Cubmaster who doesn't want to get involved is a big problem. That's basically their job.