Hiking boots on a budget?

I have been hiking for as long as I can remember. When I was a kid I hiked in old fashion squaw boots. Never had a problem. But I am older (58) and the ankles aren't as strong now.

I understand the need for economy. But you can get good boots for a fair price. The one very important thing is to put them on in the store then find somewhere you can stand that in on a sharp angle. Make sure that your feet don't slide forward and cram your toes into the front ont he boot. Another good tip is before you go hiking trim your toenails close.

I grew up raising horses and rodeoing. I always wore boots. When we got new boots my dad had us put them on, soak our feet in a warm tub of water and wear the boots until they were dry. They would fit like a glove to our feet. I have never had a blister from boots as long as I do this. I have had blisters form dress shoes. Don't like them. Give me my boots any day.

My son has redwing and loves them.

Check your phonebook for discount shoe stores. I live in central Ky, and we have a store that gets namebrand shoes and sells them at fraction of suggested retail price. Redwings like my son's that sell at $100 or more can be found in this little store for 50-70 if I remember right. I got my own Timberland boots there. They had an old sticker on them for $99, but I think I payed around $25 for them. It's worth checkin' into. Lucky for me this store is so close I can walk to it!

Five years ago I bought a pair of Hi-Tec Magnums from Botach Tactical. It was an end of the year special and I paid $28. About a year later I purchased an identical pair that are waterproof and insulated for the same price. Last year I started working in the field more and I wear my boots almost every day. I have hiked with the Cubs and walked many miles in the woods in them. I am about to replace the oldest pair. I will probably have to pay more for these boots. These boots felt like tennis shoes when I first put them on but they support and wear really well.

You may have to wait for a good deal. If you can anticipate when you will need a new pair, start browsing for a pair on sale. I think that I bought these boots in the late spring or early summer.

Eagledad:

Good comments, it's amazing that quality boots can be had for such prices. Most of my hiking is in Nepal, Kenya or Europe and these cheap boots are not available. Possibly I'm out of date. Still love the look and feel of European leather, call me sentimental. Reminds me of a trekking shop in Nepal that had a bunch of used boots, great ones; nearly bought a pair but I was told some came from climbers who did not "return alive from the mountain" and their stuff was sold by their porters. Sobering.

You mention breaking in boots with a 100 miles of walking. How do you get scouts to do this? I can't get anyone interested in Hiking MB, swimming and biking are easier, and forget Backpacking MB, too hard. Ditto for Philmont. You must have some outstanding motivational techniques. Far as I can tell you can get to Eagle with only the 5 mile second class hike, you can even substitute a bike ride for that, so how do you get kids to hike so much? All this discussion about boots is moot if kids won't hike.