Smoke Signals, Bells and Leaders

The TV was on when CBS broke into programming with the news that there was smoke coming from the stove pipe in the Sistine Chapel. Minutes past and no one seemed sure if the smoke was black or white. We waited for the bells, then we weren't sure if they were the right bells or just the bells that ring everyday at 6:00 PM?

Strange that in this high tech information age we were waiting for smoke signals and bells to ring.

Please, don't take what follows seriously!! It's just the thoughts of a displaced or misplaced English/Irish man.

I never knew that the word Conclave had anything to do with locks. In fact if you would have asked me a few days ago I would have said it had more to do with American Indians, than anything else. So you do learn something new everyday!!

In Scouting we have only ever had one Chief Scout of the World, Baden Powell. I wonder what would have happened if we had kept it going?

Would it have been a lifetime appointment?

If a World Chief Scout would have made any difference?

I have no idea how the representatives of each country would be selected, but can imagine these world leaders making their way to Gilwell Park and electing the new World Chief Scout.

We could keep the smoke signals, but maybe use pancakes. If the smoke is black and smells like burnt pancakes we would have to have another vote, but if a pancake is tossed high in the air we would have a Chief.

As for the bells? Maybe these could be replaced with a Scout choir singing "On My Honor"

Eamonn.

I see a lot of parallels between this and scouting.

The smoke and bells were the means to notify the world before the prolification of cell phones, radio, and other media. It has worked for centuries and still does.

Be Prepared, Do a good turn daily, A Scout is... etc. has worked for a century and still does. Why change something that works so well.

Did you notice the bells are operated by motors and gears. I found that interesting. I also have watched the scouting program evolve to incorporate new thinking and new cautions (youth protection, female leaders, etc.) because it adds value to the program.

Using your pancake system, I think one of our patrols voted at least two dozen times on our last outing and we still haven't elected anyone.:-)

I know that I heard on the 6:00 News that there had been an installation of a high tech smoke stack and furnace which would give a clear and definable wisp of smoke, either white or black upon the election of the new Pope. I am guessing that it did not work as planned or there was Divine intervention, irrespective of modern invention and man's intercession behind locked doors. One is only left to think outside the box on this.

As far as Scouting bringing us their version of the same, I am truly thankful they didn't. That leaves us with just one Chief Scout from now on.

Of course, if they decided to do it, there would be the High Council of Four-Beaders gathered inside a large white tent at Gillwell pondering what the World of Scouting needs now to bring us together in harmony. They would pick one person and then the other, vote after grueling vote far into the night. Each time somebody lost the vote, they would throw that person head first through the door of the tent and onto the parade grounds. The person would rise red faced and groggy from embarrassment and lack of sleep and stumble off for a nap. People would occasionally cheer because sometimes one of the outcasts, as they will now be called, would arise and look quite fresh and dapper, reason unknown. This, of course, would be a false positive and confusing to the masses huddled around the tent with hot mugs of coffee and red jackets sitting ever so quietly on logs while humming such popular tunes as Michael Rowed his Boat ashore and John Jacob Jinglehimmer Schmidt. After several days, the last one standing would walk out and declare himself the King of Mountain and/or the new Chief Scout of the World. A shout from the crowd would signal the lighting of the bonfire, procession to same, coffee refills, and burnt pancakes all around.

FB