I agree with Cutter - the Victronox Tinkerer is a fine all around knife. I used to carry one in the army and attached it to a belt loop with parachute cord so that I wouldn't lose it. We did this with much of our equipment. They were called dummy cords. I get my scouts to get into the same habit.

Belt mounted knife carriers are fine except when you have a pack on your back, then they are just in the way. I've always carried pocket knives ... in my pocket, except for my leatherman.

We try to steer our cub scouts toward lock blade knives but every single one of them wants a swiss army type knife because it has so many gadgets. I say give them the knife they want (within reason) and teach them to use it properly.

• 2 weeks later...

All good stuff! The question came up on a weekend outing at a private camp site when a Senior ASM reprimanded a scout for carrying a 3 1/2" lock-blade.The ASM stated that BSA regs. state that only a "pocket knife" is to be carried by a scout. A small point yes, but this has been an ongoing discussion in the Troop for some time, and no such reg has (or can be) been produced for consultation.

Have you seen the length of blade on the long kitchen knife in a chef kit? GTSS reps and suppliers need to talk. Someone really needs to explain why we want to aviod large,fixed blade, locking blade, or sheath types. The knife isn't the problem, its the person using it. I have a few machettes and haven't lost an arm or leg. We have to educate and upgrade with experience. Like buying a car for teenagers (start with a beater up vs. mercedes).