All I could find from the Guide to Safe Scouting about this is"Avoid large sheath knives." I have always been told that it shouldn't be much bigger than the width of your palm, but I don't know if that is written anywhere.

The G2SS States:

A sharp pocketknife with a can opener on it is an invaluable backcountry tool. Keep it clean, sharp, and handy. Avoid large sheath knives. They are heavy and awkward to carry, and unnecessary for most camp chores except for cleaning fish. Since its inception, Boy Scouting has relied heavily on an outdoor program to achieve its objectives. This program meets more of the purposes of Scouting than any other single feature. We believe we have a duty to instill in our members, youth and adult, the knowledge of how to use, handle, and store legally owned knives with the highest concern for safety and responsibility.

Rememberknives are not allowed on school premises, nor can they be taken aboard commercial aircraft.

References: Boy Scout Handbook.

In nearly all the references I found in the Scout Handbook the term pocketknife is used.

Some properties owned or managed by Scout Councils (Camps and camp grounds) have their own rules as to what is and what isn't acceptable.

Eamonn.

Most Troops do have a larger cooks knife in the patrol cook box.

(This message has been edited by Eamonn)

Boy Scouts gives relatively little guidance as the the selection of a folding knife. I've search and searched on the internet and it seems the #1 recommendation by Troops is the standard Boy Scout Pocketknife, though some Troops recommend a locking blade. Some require blades

While I like my BSA Ulster knife purchased as a scout, I think the most useful knife I own is the Victronix Tinkerer (either version) and BSA sells one too. This knife has all the tools you usually need and is lighter than the standard BSA knife for backpacking. It can often be found for about $20 in the standard model. While scissors are nice my experience is that they don't hold up too well. I agree that sheath knifes are not very useful in scouting. Hunting/fishing different stories although I tend to use a pocket knife then too.

I learned during Outdoor Leader Training the standard scouting pocketknife with the can opener, punch, and large, decently crafted blade is the best knife for a scout. I'm inclined to agree. The quality of the steel lets it be easily sharpened. It holds an edge for a while. It is not too small or too large, and it has most of the gadgets any scout might need on an outing.

I can't argue too much with the scout knife. It is a classic and I use mine all the time. But when weight becomes an issue backpacking I take the tinkerer. Car camping or on weekend trips the BSA knife is great. Also the Swiss Army is red which makes it easy to find although the Scout Utility knife is too. I bought one for my middle son and he seems to like it.

As far as I know, BSA sets no limit to the size of knives. G2SS is correct that a good folding knife meets all normal camping needs. In prior threads on knives the participants identified two situations where sheath knives are essential equipment: white water kayaking and scuba diving. But then those are not camping activities.

There was a guy on Guam on this forum in the past. There the scouts use machetes to clear trails when they hike. The stuff grows back so don't get too excited about LNT on Guam. The point is, the equipment has to be matched to the circumstances and need.

Regarding blade length, I advise parents, scouts, and scouter trainees here in California that any blade over 2 1/2 inches long is considered a weapon under California law. The largest blade on most common folding knives falls within this.

I recommend a lock blade that the blade is no longer than the user's palm is wide. The lockblade will ensure the blade doesn't close on fingers before wanting it to. The three things a scout does with a knife, 1. Sharpens it. 2. Cuts theirself. 3. Loses the knife. This is said with humor. #1 is good, 2 & 3 can be prevented with training and a bright colored retention cord.

A non-locking blade is safe if it is not used for poking or stabbing. Would it not be better to teach how to safely use a regular knife rather than making up a rule against them? The Boy Scout pocketknife does not have a locking blade. Neither does the Cub Scout pocketknife

A non locking blade doesnt have to be used poking or stabbing to close, in fact most times a non locking blade causes injury its from regular use. The lock simply protects the user from a blade closing on a finger. Safety first.

Other than what is in the G2SS, I can't find any BSA reference on the size of knives.

Some BSA councils, districts, units etc, address knives. I was at one BSA camp that did not allow folding knives with locking blades. Some places do not allow fixed blade knives, some do not allow anyone to carry or use a knife until they have their Totin' Chip. In my unit, Scouts must have their Totin' Chip before they can carry a knife.

But, the laws of the jurisdiction where a Scout is carrying a knife may address and regulate the size and type of knives. We used to go to a summer camp in a state that had a law that said that any knife with a blade of over 3 1/3" was illegal to carry (felony). Since many Scout units travel across state lines, it is wise to check the laws that address knives in every jurisdication you are located or travel through. From what I have seen law enforcement officers generally are very strict in enforcing knife laws - especially with youth. When our unit teaches Totin' Chip, we cover the state law regulating knives. In our state you can carry a knife with a blade up to 5 1/2". But we generally advise both Scouts and Scouters to carry either an official BSA pocketknife, or a similar knife.

I did come across a few troops that specifically ban locking blade knives. My guess was that either they felt a locking blade was so similar to a sheath knife that it shouldn't be used (I don't think the 1.5" locking Gerber Micro LST I carry every day would fall into that category), OR that a cheap folding knife - who's locking mechanism might have a chance of failing - might be more dangerous than a non-locking folding knife (that would be a concern, but easy to test for locking strength).

Anyway, here is a useful link to state knife laws:

http://pweb.netcom.com/~brlevine/sta-law.htm

Keep in mind that there are other laws that might apply such as in some cities, federal properties, and national parks/monuments.