Here's an easy lay-up question for some of you old-timers.

Requirements for the Scoutmaster's key on the pocket-fold progress record at http://www.meritbadge.com/files/ include "Conduct troop junior leader training (three times)" as well as "Participate as an adult in Junior leader training". How are these different?

Also the requirements at http://www.usscouts.org/awards/scouterkey1.html

just says "Conduct troop junior leader training (three years).

There are also a few other minor differences. Which set of requirements is correct? Thanks!

According to the official Scoutmaster Key progress card (1993 printing) at http://www.boyscouttrail.com/docs/scoutmasterkey_award_progress.pdf

The actual requirements are worded:

"Conduct troop youth leader training (three years)"

"Participate as an adult in youth leader training by either serving onthe staff or attending the Scoutmaste orientation sessionof the council youth leader training congerence."

Paul

The best place to get the requirements is from the Training Committee Guidebook (may not be the right title but close). The Training Commitee administers that program. I don't have one at work and my copy is at home, I would have to check if is the latest.

Well, the National web site still has the 1993 version available for download. If the requirements have changed, how is anyone supposed to know? I was until recently a District Training Chair and no one told me.

www/scouting.org/forms

The requirements are found in the Leadership Training Committee Guide # 34169F. The latest version has been out for about 2 years. In the current version ("F"), requirements for several training related awards changed, including the Scoutmaster's Key. The progress record card was updated with the new requirements, but it still says "1993 Printing", obviously an oversight.

The national website has the old requirements. Meritbadge.com links to the national site (old requirements.) USSSP lists old requirements (but incorrectly cites the latest Guide as the source).

The current requirements are:

Complete Boy Scout Fast Start Training,

New Leader Essentials,

Scoutmaster/Asst SM Specific training,

Introduction to Outdoor Leader Skills, and

Troop Committee Challenge.

Participate in one supplemental training course at the council or national level.

Conduct troop junior leader training annually in each of 3 years.

Participate in 2 additional training courses such as Wood Badge, YPT, TDC, etc.

Participate in Roundtable at least 6 times per year for 3 years.

Complete 3 years as Scoutmaster within a 5-year period.

Earn troop Quality Unit 2 times.

Thank you FScouter, the SM Key information was very helpful. On a related note... are the requirements listed for the Scoutmaster Award of Merit (1.5 year NESA white knot) current and correct on the USSSP website? They refer to their source as Application Form (No. 58-413)

I may be wrong, but I think all of the signatories on the application just sign whatever is put in front of them, without noticing which of the many available versions it happens to be. At least, that's what I would do. If National wants to change requirements, then they need to make sure the website and publications are kept up to date, and also make sure that Scout Shops quit selling publications when they are superceded and become obsolete.

• 1 month later...

The original question regarding the two requirementsa was often misunderstood because people misread the requirement as did Trevorum.

It speaks of two different courses. Troop Junior Leader Training and Junior Leader Training. The latter being the council week-long course. So you had the option of either leadingr the troop level or being on staff for the council level.

As was pointed out this requirement was changed.

As far as the inclusion of the Troop Committee Challenge for the Key, that is because the Committee Chairman is also eligible to earn it and that is a requirement for them not for the SM.

As with any BSA award a scouter can complete a training award under the requirements they began with or transfer the completed requirements to the new set (if they are identical) and then complete the unfinished portion of the new set.

(This message has been edited by Bob White)

BobWhite - you state that a committee chair can now earn this award? How does this fit with the "serve as Scoutmaster for 3 years" requirement? Can you provide a reference that states a CC can earn it??

I will get my hands on a current Key application form to make sure things have not changed. In the past the Key could be earned by Scoutmasters, committee chairs, unit commissioners, RT commissioners, District Chairs, and when Venturing was created Sea Scout Skippers and Crew Advisors were added.

The Sm Key and the training key for the troop Committee chair were on the same sheet you simply flipped it around. When earned the key my committee chair earned his at the same time. (That was few years ago however)

I will get a current form and see if it still the same.

BW

I mean the Scouter's Training Key which is the same medal and knot given to all the offices I listed pin attached to the knot to denote which program it was earned in.

The Key for the SM and the Key for the CC was on the same form.