When I was a Scoutmaster, the troop took advantage of offers at some cmpgrounds to do some service instead of paying the campsite fee. My question for a little disscusion is "Does the hours worked under those conditions quailfy as service hours?" As a Scout 'To do a good turn daily' was explained as you did not recieve a tip or any compinsation. How does this fit as you recieved something of value - a campsite?

I would be inclined to count them as service hours (for advancement purposes) provided the campground is not a for-profit business and the campsite fee that would otherwise have been charged is not significant (e.g. < $10). For example, doing a 4 hour project for a state park where the allocated campsite fee per boy is $5 for the weekend sounds like service to me. Doing a 4 hour project for a privately owned campground where the allocated campsite fee is $30 seems like a bartering arrangement.(This message has been edited by SemperParatus)

I would count them. The boys probably contributed much more to the campground that it would have cost to stay there. Our troop has swaped services with the Y camp close to us. We have cleaned fences to use the canoe lake.

We do a service project at a former scout campground every year, and they provide our boys free camping for a few nights. We also count the time spent toward service hours. Not meaninig to hijack this thread, but a quick question my son asked me and I can't answer - do serivce hours not used for the requirements of a lower rank carry over to the next rank?

Soryy you can't count hours he did before for a new rank. Here is the requirement for Life: 4. While a Star Scout, take part in service projects totaling at least 6 hours of work. These projects must be approved by your Scoutmaster.

The only differance for Star is that it says First Class instead of Star

I agree with NWScouter, the purpose of service projects is to teach scouts the value of helping others withou the need for reward. I have no problem with units bartering manpower for camping fees but this is hired labor, not service to others.

Our council has an annual spring Mix 'n Fix. The purpose is to prepare the council owned camps for the upcoming "busy" season. They ask for volunteers to provide labor, some skilled, and to donate materials. Such projects as: replacement of a section of roof and walls with water damage, painting, electrical, wood trim, and plumbing, caulking, masonry, soffit and fascia work, cleaning, brush removal, etc. are included. We volunteer our services as a troop - we are not charged a camping fee (normally about $2.00/head/night) and volunteers are provided lunch.

The question is do we provide service for the lunch and the "free" camping? No. We don't partake in the lunch but we do take advantage of the camping. I count the hours the boys work (usually clearing brush and general clean-up and maybe some painting for the older boys) as service.

Just like my Scouting service that I provide - I count that as service even though the IRS grants me some deductions. I didn't volunteer to be a Scouter for the IRS deductions.

Now I agree, some may go overboard and it may be more of a case of bartering instead of providing a service. Letting the SM make the call is an easy solution.

(This message has been edited by acco40)

Now that's an interesting acco40. In our troop, the understanding is that service that benefits scouts doesn't count towards service hours. Our CO has an annual "work day" and the scouts participate for this event, we have generally granted "half credit" (credit for half the hours worked) since it's for the CO and indirectly for scouts. I'm not sure how we'd view work at a council facility as it hasn't come up yet....

The only time service hours directly benefiting boy scouts is prohibited is for the Eagle Service project. That was changed back in the 70s. From what I remember hearing at the time, more and more service projects were being done for the district and council. The BSA thought it best to turn our eyes outside of ouselves for these projects.

The other service projects can be to support scout camps, COs, events (such as Day Camp) or even other units (such as a Cub Scout Pack).