Has anyone ever heard of Firecrafter?

I know that it's very popular in some of the mid-west, but I don't think many people have heard of it elsewhere.

It's a very good organiztion. It's structured somewhat similarly to OA.

check it out- www.firecrafter.org

I had a troop from Indiana come to our summer cam and they explained to me about Firecrafter. I've been to the website, but the history varies from the yarn I was told. The yarn included an irate Council Executive who was ticked at the OA and created his own honor society. I think the patches are real neat. There is also that differeing attitude from OA. OA is about scout spirit reflecting upon the scout law and oath where firecrater seems to me to encourage and honor scout skills

Firecrafter was started by a very respected scouting executive, Francis O'Belzer. There's a Cub Scout camp in Indianapolis named after him. Firecrafter is designed to test the firebuilding, character, and outdoors skills of scouts. Acheiving different ranks requires hours of community service; a dedication to friendship, leadership, and service; and a willingness to help younger scouts in their ranks. It's a highly respected organization to many people, like OA.

You're right, it does honor scout skills, as OA values scout spirit.

• 5 months later...

I was the Chief of Firecrafter for 2 years as well as was the Webmaster of www.Firecrafter.org for 3 years. I just handed my duties as webmaster over to a new crew. If ANYONE has ANY questions about Firecrafter. FEEL FREE to contact me... justinakasox@yahoo.com.

Great Questions, and I have your answers. Since 1920 Firecrafter has inducted almost 9,000 Scouts and Scouters. Some unique individuals who have walked up Firecrafter hill and received the honor include Robert Baden Powell and Scout Legend Green Bar Bill. A good friend of mine actually walked up the hill with Green Bar Bill.

The Crossroads of America Council is the ONLY Council that Sanctions the program in its entiredy. The Sagamore Council in Northern Indiana just started the program this Summer, BUT is still attend the Crossroads of America Rituals, and our considered members of OUR program. There are many troops from Ohio, Illinois, Michigan, Kentucky, and Florida who come to Camp Ransburg and go through the Firecrafter Program. We have nearly 200 members who have come from Ohio Councils to OUR camp to participate, but they go through OUR Ritual.

In the past 2 years we have had members inducted from Colorado, Massachusetts, Ohio, Kentucky, and Illinois.

The Scout Executive and Outdoor Program Chair, are usually inducted in their first year in office.

And finally, the Website should work in Firefox, in the next month or so.... sorry for the innconvienece, it is under a transition to another webmaster.