Dispensing Scout Medications

I'm looking to see how other troops keep track or dispensing scout medications while at campouts. Who gets the job? For me with a small troop maybe only one scout may require something minor at each meal. For larger troops what do you do??? any forms you could send? R.M.

The G2SS states:

Prescriptions

The taking of prescription medication is the responsibility of the individual taking the medication and/or that individual's parent or guardian. A Scout leader, after obtaining all the necessary information, can agree to accept the responsibility of making sure a Scout takes the necessary medication at the appropriate time, but BSA policy does not mandate nor necessarily encourage the Scout leader to do so. Also, if your state laws are more limiting, they must be followed.

My take on this is that the parent should decide if they want a Scout Leader to dispense the drugs or if they want their son to take them on his own.

It also is the choice of the Leader, he does not have to accept the responsibility.

As a rule when parents have asked me I have agreed to take custody of the medication, but I tell the Scout and his parents that I will be at a certain place and it is his job to come to me and ask me. I'm not going looking for him. If he does forget I will find him but please don't tell anyone!!

I do ask that all prescriptions are clearly marked and have never needed any forms or the like.

Eamonn

Thats the method I follow as well. Luckily, I have only 2 scouts on meds. (One is my son). The other scout takes allergy pill. I hold it for mom, but like it was said earlier - I don't chase him down. If I happen to see him and I remember, then I may mention it. This kid pretty much stays on top of it though.

Remember - CYA. While there are no forms to have, create one crucial one for yourself. It's called --- Instructions. Have on the paper "Med. name, dose, frequency, instructions and "other important info regarding meds""

That way its all written down and no questions about it.

I understand its the individual's responsibility to take their meds, but that works with allergies ... gee my eyes are watering, I need my pill..

But when the problem is ADD/ADHD the Troop is generally much more aware of when its pill time than the scout is

One thing that I forgot to mention is that the Leader also has to be agreeable to accept the responsibility. If he or she is unwilling the parent must decide to allow the Lad to look after himself or attend the event.

While I have never seen anything in black and white from National, I do try not to make a big deal about this so as not to draw attention to the Lad. While some Lads wear the fact that they are on medication like a badge of honor others don't want the other Lads to know. I had a Lad at the last Jambo who was growing like a bad weed he was 15 and already over six feet tall. It turned out he was growing faster than his bladder and he needed a med to prevent him from bed wetting. He was one of the Patrol Leaders and really didn't want that to get out. I also think it is important not to try and guess what the medication is for. If the family tell you that is fine and dandy but someone with a little medical knowledge (Her Who Must Be Obeyed works in the ER of our local hospital.) can jump to the wrong conclusions. I for example take a drug that is normally taken to prevent epileptic seizures. I am not epileptic, I have it to prevent my back spasms.

One other thing that we have debated in the past is Dispensing Medications at Summer camp. Many Camps have a rule that all medications need to be under the watchful eye and supervision of the Camp medical staff. I think we do need to let the parents know this ahead of time.

I am a little uncertain about what the law is in my state. I think that we might be on very thin ice depending on the qualifications of the person dispensing the drugs,but I'm not sure. We have a lot of well qualified attorneys in the Council and I would hope that they know more about the law than I do.

Eamonn.

I would ask whet the laws are for the state you are in. In the state of NY unless you are a licensed medical professional it is against the law for you to dispense drugs. We make sure we know when the youth is supoposed to take it, but he must hold the pills in his possesion, we don't control them.

"OGE, your statement begs the question - for a Scout with ADD/ADHD, who is the medication for, the Scout or the Troop?"

of course my answer is a resounding "you betcha'"

BTW, I should add the CC of the troop I serve is a pediatrician with a huge love of the scouting program. She encorages her patients to join scouts for the activities and benefits and so when she goes to summer camp, she has two lockers, one for her stuff, the other for the troop meds. As she has a DEA number, she registers with the Camp Nurse and she dispenses. Normally by Thursday there is a huge movement by the adults to add ritalin to the bug juice, but it has never happened, .... yet

I have directed the past 4 Summer Day Camps for our district. And the policy for day camp is that all medication, except inhalers, be turned over to the camp medical officer.

Our troop has 4 boys on meds ADHD and we take them up and make sure the boys take them. Believe me if they don't they are soon out of control. So we want to make darn sure they take them. The kids that take allergy pills we let them take care of them themselves.

Lynda J

While I have served as both Camp and Program Director for Day Camp and have had a RN on staff to take care of medications, in fact with a policy much like the one you have posted only I didn't allow anything other that Bee Sting pens and Inhalers. However looking at the wording of the G2SS I have to wonder if I was overstepping the mark?

I can't remember if there is a Standard or if there is how it reads.I think the way I now read it the choice is with the parent. I don't know if location would come into play?

Eamonn

How do folks handle non-prescription drugs? On our Trip Permission Form, we have a section where the parent can authorize the SM/ASMs/Adult Trip Leader to dispense Tylenol, Motrin, Benadryl and/or Sudafed (parent checks off which ones) if deemed necessary. Had a scout with a severe headache once and couldn't track down the parents by phone. Someone gave him some Tylenol, but we felt that should be something to get pre-approval for.

Camp medical officers are trained and certified in the medical field. Most unit leaders are not. Requiring that a trained professional disperse drugs and requiring an un-trained, un-licensed, volunteer to do so are two different things.

A parent cannot authorize a volunteer leader to take responsibility for dispersing any drugs. The Adult leader may volunteerly accept the responsibility, just be aware of what that means.

You take that responsibility against the recommendation of the BSA, with little or no knowledge of drug reaction, interaction, storage needs, side effects, or legal requirements. You accept full responsibility for any injury caused by the distribution or lack of distribution of each drug, or for any law breached concerning the possession and or distribution of each drug.

Which is why the BSA recommends, if the scout is not capable of managing the drugs on his own, that a parent or guardian be present to manage the drugs.

We have always offered to store & administer any medication for the Scout during summer camp. We leave it up to the discretion of the parents. However, if they do decide to have us store & administer medication, they must sign a form granting us permission to store & administer the medication to their son. The parents in our Troop usually take us up on our offer.

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10