It being Sunday and the lack of anyone to call at Council for info. I have a question that maybe someone here can answer for me. Are there any currant restrictions on a cross country summer trip other than travel permits? We are thinking about a trip from the East Coast to the North West, than to South West, than back to the East Coast. We would like to make this trip in 2 weeks and hit some major points of interests. Are there any BSA restrictions, or legal issues that we need to check into before we make any further plans?

Thanks,

ASM1

A word to the wise from a guy who's filed several National Tour Permits:

1) They are approved by your Region, not by your local council. You need to file them well in advance. The time required is on the form.

2) Make sure every blank is filled out. Even if the answer is N/A -- or someone will question it. I've heard of questions coming back to the local council as "When Troop XYZ arrives at their midpoint destination, where will they be staying?" i.e. a church, park, etc.

3) Make sure your itinerary does not involve more than 12 (or whatever the form says, I forget) hours of continuous travel or a distance of over 500 miles in a day.

4) If in doubt, have someone in your council office review the National Tour permit before you actually file it. Much like letting a teacher look over a draft of an important paper, this can save you headaches later on.

5) this one just from old Unc -- have fun on the trek!

Unc.

Thanks again for the input. I will have our council review the app. But I think if there is no legal questions we will be alright. We are seeking national publicity and national council support. This is more or less going to be a wild west travel experience for our scouts and so far we know of 18 merit badges we can persue during this trip. We are also hoping to promote this is all the local news media in the areas we visit. It should be a big promotion for scouting in general. I hope we don't have anyone holding us up for a technicality.

ASM1