Cub Scout Program Helps - Yay or Nay

I'd like to hear from those that follow the Program Helps to run their program for the year. Right now, I feel that the dens/CM are spending way too much time on trying to develop their own 'program' when there's already one staring them in the face. Currently the den meeting emphasis is on only on achievements and not a cohesive, monthly theme. Personally, I believe that making rank is the parent's responsibility, not the Pack's.

As CC, I don't want to force it down their throats, because "that's the way we've always done it". But I don't think our CM realizes how much simplified things could be, as the whole year is already planned out. It's a no-brainer to me.

I'd like to hear the good and the bad from any hardcore Program Helps followers or those that had used them and ditched them for their own programs.

The den follows the program as outlined in the specific rank book. You want to pick and choose the particular elements that a den should be doing?

As a den leader I would tell you to take a hike. The parents, the boys and I determine which elements of the program we will complete to meet rank requirements.

I beleive it is the den leaders responsibilty to lead the youths through the program. Whether that is setting up a den/requirement or scheduling other parents to take on a den meeting/requirement.

Cohesion of the pack will occur through solid and cohesive dens. Not vice-versa.

I would show the den leaders this resource, be willing to help them learn to use it(ie they don't have to use all of it but can choose elements), and let them know that this is for two reasons: it helps them spend less time planning and it helps with a theme for the pack meeting. I did this two years ago, and it is because I thought this looked helpful and because the den leaders were all working so hard with one common complaint: planning took too much time. The den leaders used parts of the program helps at first, but it took almost two years for the theme to catch on. The theme never did become a big part of the den meetings, but it helped with the pack meeting (props, skits, songs by dens).

I wish our pack used the program helps, but any observer to our program would think that there was no such thing.

Our pack meetings have no theme, and there are almost never any songs or skits done by dens at the pack meetings. It's kind of pitiful, really.

When my older boy was in this pack, I didn't know anything about the resources available to Scouters; once I joined his troop committee after he crossed over and began getting Scouting magazine, I saw the wealth of resources available, and it frustrates me that our pack doesn't care to take advantage of them.

Elizabeth

"Our pack meetings have no theme, and there are almost never any songs or skits done by dens at the pack meetings. It's kind of pitiful, really."

Some people just want to re-invent the wheel, even if their custom wheel has flat spots. You don't get extra points for "I did it my way". I guess there is just something about being in charge that fascinates some people. Kind of like the man who won't ask for directions, or doesn't need the owner's manual to assemble his kid's Xmas toy.

DARN! DARN! DARN!

this is for 5570xr2 and starwolfmom:

the pack doesn't have to do anything...IF you are willing to do it. Why wait on the slow pokes? Den Leaders can use the helps and run a stellar program...in many cases other Dens will start to follow!

That said...not every Den Leader needs the helps. My eldest son (now teetering on the edge of a being a 'death-bed eagle), MANY years ago had a den leader who seemed like he could bearly (sorry) read...He was a construction worker who was very uncomfortable around people who thought they were his "betters'. He never knew what a 'program help' was. BUT THIS MAN WAS GREAT...they did arts, crafts, built things, took bikes apart (cost me a new bike),rocketry, took trips and went camping. Almost all of HIS boys got ARROW of Light, and they maxed out on Webelos activity pins. Three of the six boys have made EAGLE and a forth (I hope) will soon follow them! So the helps are not the answer...just helps!

examples...Teach your boys a skit...REALLY TEACH THEM! You are Clint Eastwood looking for a gold statue here!

Drill them, tell them they are gonna knock everyones eyes out IF THEY WORK HARD TO GET IT RIGHT...They need to be HAMS, to act it up! then at the next pack meeting (get there a little early) inform, (don't ask- assume!) the CM that your guys have a skit and where in the program would he like to give you a few minutes. (THIS IS WHY the guys have got to do it right!) If they can 'DO IT RIGHT' and everyone hears and understands and enjoys... it should only take a couple of meetings of this before other dens want equal time...

Or bring in some boys scouts from the local troop to do a few skits to show how it is done...

- do some theme work, set up a table at the next Pack meeting (again early) right next to the meeting room door so every parent sees what your kids are doing.

-announce to the pack during awards time, just what YOUR guys are gonna be doing in the next month...watch the eyes start moving around the room as they ask themselves, do they even know what they are doing next week(!).

bet if your guys have fun others will follow!

finally, I got sucked into this "movement" when my younger son joined and I saw he was not getting anything my older boy had gotten...It wasn't right and by Baden Powell, I could do something about it!

I used some helps and discarded others...I am sure I did not do as good a job as my friend did, but it wasn't half bad either...now, I still help with the Pack and have been on the troop committee for eight years...be open, be creative, be fun!

good scouting!

As was already said, the Program Helps are just that "helps". If leaders want to use them verbatium fine. If they want to pick & choose, fine. If the Pack wants to use them for Pack meetings, etc, fine. They are there to help out the leaders, especially the new leaders who are scared to death of planning a meeting.

My Pack does not always use the monthly theme. Sometimes we do, but if we decide that it does not sound interesting or we have other things in mind we go our own way.

I personally use the PH's as a resource. If I am stuck for something in a Den meeting, I will find a game or activity I like that fits what we are doing & use it. It does not even have to be strictly in the Tiger section. Games are games. I also give the PH's to my Tiger Partners to help them plan their meetings. I also use a LOT of ideas I find on the web.

I definately would not make the use of Program Helps mandatory.

We follow the Program Helps, especially the part on page 2? "Using Cub Scout Program Helps"

There is a whole section on Adapting Plans including this statement: "Dens and Packs with different schedules can adapt ideas in Cub Scout Program Helps to fit their situations."

In short, the Program Helps do not pretend to be some sort of rigid document for all Packs and Dens to follow. They are there to help provide inspiration and reduce some of the stress for people unaccustomed to working with youth or with running meetings.

Our Pack has done a poor job of planning in the past, but we are moving in the right direction. The Pack will have a theme for each month in 2005-06, but they may or may not match up with the National themes. Frankly, I have not seen the 05-06 Helps are they out? It really matters a great deal in that we are planning now for next 'season'.

As for "making rank is the parent's responsibility..." That doesn't quite fit my understanding. Ultimately it is the boy's responsibility. Some of the achievements are clearly den specific and not really achievable with only the family. Others are clearly family structured and not achievable in the den. We try to make sure that every den meeting gives boys opportunities to do those things that are better done as a den (Whittling Chip for example). Not that they are impossible with the family, but in our situation not every family has a full set of tools, etc.

When my wife was CM, she used the helps to plan the Pack meeting and informed the DLs what they needed to do for the Pack meeting, but left the Den meetings up to the Den Leader. She made available the helps and our Roundtable used them but the DLs used what they wanted to use.

I've been both a Cubmaster and Pack Committee chair (in that order). When I was a Cubmaster, our Pack committee bought copies of the helps for all the DLs, and told them all that "this is how we do it". We encouraged Roundtable attendance, our District RT Commissioners had it going on, and DL attendance at RTs was excellent. They got great ideas, and took them back to their den programs in the month to follow. The pack meeting programs followed the helps, too. We had incredibly low attrition, great graduation rates, and Pack sizes consistently in the 80s -- needless to say, QU every year. When I was a Committee chair, we did the same thing, with the same results.

Maybe I'm a moron, but I just can't understand why any Pack wouldn't mandate use of the Helps by their DLs and Cubmaster. They tie the den programs together, link the monthly program to both Boy's Life topics and Roundtable plans, and get everybody on the same page. What's wrong with that?

Look again at the Helps. Within the context of the monthly themes, DLs have plenty of latitude and flexibility on how they carry out the program. They determine where and how often their dens meet, what their outing will be, and what their contribution to the monthly Pack meeting will be.

Let's remember that most of our attrition is in the Cub years. You've seen it; why does it happen? Usually related to inconsistent program, in my experience. And, it's usually our Cub DLs who have the least program experience, because their boys just joined in the last year or so. Given that, use of the Helps ensures a consistent program, makes DLs' jobs easier, and keeps boys in the Packs. Don't believe me? Ask your DC.

Here's another element, and I certainly don't mean this as a personal attack on anyone -- I'll apologize right now if that's how it comes across. In the same sense that we grow Scouts from Tiger on up, we do the same thing with our leaders. Show me a Cub leader now who doesn't use the tools he's given, doesn't see the value in a synchronized Pack program, and considers BSA guidance an intrusion on his personal liberties, and I'll show you a Boy Scout leader a few years from now who doesn't use the tools he's given, doesn't see the value in a synchronized Troop program, and considers BSA guidance an intrusion on his personal liberties. And, as we've all done in these forums as long as I've been around, we'll collectively bemoan this and wonder why this happens and where it comes from. Maybe we now know...

KS

I have seen the One Man Show

and Den Leaders that won't Go

but I tell you what

a Pack Committee that uses the Helps

will save time and effort

and things will flow, flow, flow.

It is like building a Rocket.

Don't remake the math

Don't start from scratch.

Use what we already know.

Build it on solid planning

and your Den and Pack will

fly, go, and grow.

Sorry, sometimes a poem is just too inviting.

FB

Thanks for all the great responses. I agree, I don't think they can be 'forced' but I think I will go the route of 'highly recommending' them. It will be easy for the pack to purchase a copy for each DL and then go from there.

KS,

I know, I should have spent more time on it but it just poured out of my finger-tips like water.

And no you cannot join my unit because I know how well you do things in your unit. It is like being in the same unit but miles apart. We will just keep each other in mind with a smile.

I'm glad for you. You will save time and energy. The other great thing is what Torv said about adapting the Helps as a launch pad for a great program.

Time to blast off!

FB