If you had a chance to choose what your unit #'s could be.....

would you opt for A) the first 3 digit # your council found that was free or B) a 2 digit # (such as 14 or even 3 or 5)?

Of C) who cares, its just a number.

C)... unless there is a history that makes you want a particular number. In our case, a troop had been in this area for over 30 years and folded a few years earlier. Coincidentally, it was the same as our pack #, even though the two were never associated with each other. It was an obvious choice.

My crew's number is 805 since our CO is VFW post 805.

Our council has unique quasi numbering system that goes by what district your in. Of course I've seen a few new units that aren't going by the old numbering system.

Ours is 323. I think I'll stick with it considering the troop is the second oldest in the council. One year without a charter ruined it. Otherwise we'd have it by like 10 years or more.

Oh well, we still outdate the council by almost double.

When I started a new pack at my son's school in 2003, I was faced with choosing a number. All the single and two-digit numbers were taken. There were too many three-digit numbers available to make a reasoned choice, so I asked for 2003 (based on the year the pack was formed) and Council agreed to give it to us!

It's just a number, unless it isn't. If there's some particular tie-in with a CO, for example, such as VFW post # or something, then it's not just a number. In Far East council, the unit numbers are allocated in blocks by District. That can get unwieldy in a large Council, or in those cases where councils consolidate...then whaddya do?

Sometimes the number really means something. We have a Troop 1 here, chartered to a an historic private school. I'm told they were the very first BSA unit organized in Hawaii -- those guys wear 90-year tabs below their CSPs...if anyone deserves #1, it's them. Beyond that, I can't see the number having much significance, except to the members of that unit.

KS

Our troop number (14) doesn't stand for anything. That is, other than US! Even though we're a young troop, we've grown accustomed to it and darned proud of it.

In fact, we have a page of links to Troop 14s from around the world on our website. http://www.scouttroop14.org/T14others.html

If anyone knows of any other Troop 14s with websites, please let me know via PM.

- Oren