Ok, this is a quick "what do you think" question.

Do you think "Git R Done" is a racist statement. A troop I know is thinking of taking that and modifying it to become a troop logo. They want to change the spelling to DUNN which is the town they are based in.

The story behind their selection, is they were looking to create their own scarves and were wanting a logo all their own to put on them. On a campout, they really came together and showed what team work and running the show themselves was about. During reflection, they all had about the same response - "we really dug in and got things done that we needed to on our own." They (the youth) came up with the logo themselves.

So, do you think the phrase in general "Git R Done" is racist?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't know about racist...

Pushes borderline of sexist.

R appears to be a contraction of 'er ... and THAT is a contraction of HER.

Yes, we feminize a lot of things we guys do ... including getting the job done.

Even so, my mind can come up with a different interpretation of "get her done" ... and it's not nice to the female gender.

Might want to see if youth are willing to go with "Get it dunn!"

YIS

Like KC said, I can understand the potential concern from the female perspective. I can't think of any racial overtones, but freely admit that I'm a middle-aged, middle class, white man from middle America. Is there something in particular that has been brought up as a concern?

Racist? Discrimination or prejudice based on race.

I am not sure how Git R Dunn discriminates. Is it slang made popular by white southeners? Yes. Being a white southener, I don't find it offensive. That's just the way we talk.

Is using Ebonoics racist?

I can agree with the sexist angle........

I heard one other leader from a different unit say it was racist..he some how indicated it implied killing someone with one shot.......to me, he was really stretching at his view - really out on a limb, but I give everyone the benifit of the doubt....once....thus my reason behind posting this question.

I was expecting to hear some arguements over it being sexist, but not racist.

What would make it racist or sexist? I'm understand the need for sensitivity but lets not try and find things were they dont exist. Scouts has been watered down enough by the PC crowd.(This message has been edited by sitrep)(This message has been edited by sitrep)

"Scouts has been watered down enough ..."

Ah yes, for the good old days when we could trench our tents! When our tents were two leaky canvas shelter halves! When Birdwatching was an Eagle required merit badge! When backpacks didn't have belly bands! When we used open trenches for latrines! When Morse Code was required for 1st Class! When OA membership required a Y chromosome!

Please if you are going to misrepresent what I said atleast include the entire quote. Last time I checked the PC crowd had nothing to do with anyhting you mentioned but if I am wrong please correct me.

I do not think it is racist - is the thought that because it is a phrase that originated in the redneck comedy community that it must have some racial undertones to it? I suppose some could view it as sexist, if thought of in that manner. I think the phrase is basically harmless.

Though, I would advise against its use only because of the fleeting nature of such catchy phrases. Putting a logo on a troop neckerchief is an indication that it (the logo) will be around for quite awhile assuming there is a sense that the neckerchief design will become part of troop traditions. In another couple of years (or weeks or months), 'git r done' will go the way of 'let's boogie', 'TCB', and 'whaassuupp'. Better to stay clear of logos and tag-lines that could quickly become outdated.

Git 'r Done was a phrase coined by the comedian, Larry the Cableguy (a comedian that I have not had many laughs listening to). The best that I could decipher is that it means to get the work done, with 'r stands for "her" as previously noted. I guess that people can twist it to mean differently (not family rated) and make it to where it is politically incorrect. With its popularity, it may become a part of the great book of American's cliche', along the line of "alrighty, then," "six of one, half a dozen another," etc. Have you ever caught yourself saying,"Let's pick 'er up" or "Okay, you guys" (in the presence of a lady). I found myself having to correct myself in the presence of a lady.

This reminds me of one of the new scout patrol that we had. They decided to choose the owl as their patrol sign and called themselves the "hooters." I'm fairly sure that this was very innocent for most of these boys are 10-11 years old (I could have been wrong!). The SM and I persuaded them to rename themselves to something else. They ended up choosing the Racoon and the name "bandits." This also reminds for Tim McGraw's new song "Back When."

http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/timmcgraw/backwhen.html

sitrep, I can see where Trevorum is going with that, remembering what scouting was. Yep, nowaday, what I thought was funny (being the receiving end of it), snipe hunt, has now being banned for being hazing. I guess that eventually, scouting will become very sanitized that scouting will still resemble scouting but under a different light.

As for this issue, I'll take the middle ground. John-in-KC gave a great alternative. Personally, I would go with my favorite phrase "Follow Me, Boys." It comes with a song, a movie, and a good catch!

1Hour(This message has been edited by OneHour)

Having grown up in redneck country, and having a bit of the tinge left myself, I can't see how this is racist or sexist (unless the boys are trying to make fun of rednecks). The normal context for this phrase would be something like, "I pulled the motor outta that Chevy yesterdy, and I'm gonna git 'er done today."

But apparently it has become a catchphrase associated with a particular comedian, so it may have picked up other connotations.

sitrep, I didn't mean to offend, just wanted to point out that change is often good.

How about these changes to Scouting that have promulgated by the socially conscious (PC) crowd:

ahh, for the good old days when scouts with dark skin were "invited" to join their own separate troops (at least in my part of the country); when religious services routinely ignored and pointedly offended Scouts who weren't Christian; when women weren't allowed to be Cubmasters or Scoutmasters.

Not racist, my vote is with Hunt. I'm sometimes considered a redneck (although I don't fly the Confederate flag above the American flag). And I don't make jokes about rednecks unless my neighbors are in a very good humor.

My introduction to Larry the Cable Guy (as well as many other wonderful aspects of life) was provided by my minority friends (male and female) in Alabama who think he's one of the funniest guys around and with whom I have shared much laughter and camaraderie over the years. Personally, I'm not sure what a troop logo is or should be but I could think of some better role models.

However, I have reminded myself of our patrol cheer back when I was a scout, let's see, about 40 years ago:

"We don't smoke, we don't chew, we just go with the girls that do!"

Git 'r done doesn't seem so bad.

As for Trevorum, gotta love 'im!

Edited part: minor typo, sorry(This message has been edited by packsaddle)

"We don't smoke, we don't chew, we just go with the girls that do!"

:) I like it!! Never heard it before........

No it's not a slam on rednecks. We are in the middle of redneck country for our area.

Hunt, you had the meaning behind the idea for the logo. Doing what needs to be done to get the job done.