They want to show all or none. "Either we all do it, or we don't".

Just a show of unity, which in turn will enforce "we are a team".

Didn't you see the Clint Eastwood movie --uhg can't remember the title-- but he is a marine drill sargent who is over a recon platoon who are nothing but a bunch of goof off's. He put them through a little drill of "everyone must look like me" a few days.....

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is that the one where he said "a man's got to know his limitations to make my day"?

If one boy forgot his pocketknife on a campout, would the rest of the patrol leave their knives in the car as a show of unity? How about the 7 boys that wear their neckerchiefs help the 8th to remember too?

Whzt about Dunn Good R Dunn real good.

Then thers Dunn gone.

Gone and dunn it.

Brooks and Dunn, Faye Dunnaway

Dunn stopped.

Ain't dunn yet.

If I'd my way, I'd dunn it diffrnt.

Elvis, "I dunn it mi way".

Mi way R the hiway

The job ain't dunn til the lady sings r song.

Stick me with a fork, I thnk im dunn.

Could this humor be considerd offensive to Rednecks? Humor should be outlawed and laughter be considerd a form of subversion.

FB(This message has been edited by Fuzzy Bear)

F-scouter -- That's taking it a bit to the extreme. The goal is to look the same.

Yes, the goal is for everyone to have their uniforms......and this little exercise they do has actually caused them to enforce that among the ranks. Set a goal - "everyone look the same"....leave it to them to accomplish that. At some point, they will get tired of having to remove half of the uniform for a few and they will influence the few to get with the program. But they key to it....they are doing it, they are accomplishing the goal and enforcing uniforms at meetings.

So far it's working like it did in the movie - Heartbreak Ridge.

"Set a goal - 'everyone look the same'....leave it to them to accomplish that."

If the boys all wear the uniform, then they will all look the same. Blue jeans are all the same, but what good is that?

I don't think an un-uniformed boy is motivated to wear all the parts, if everyone else dresses down to meet his shortcoming.

I don't think a uniformed boy is motivated to continue to wear the uniform if when he does, the group makes him remove parts.

It's great the boys are thinking about this, but the thinking seems to be focusing on the wrong goal.

>>>"... if 1 scout is not in uniform, they all get that way. If one is missing a scarf, they all start missing theirs real quick."

Why would they do that? Would the boy without a neckerchief feel inadequate if he's the only one without? When a formal uniform inspection is done, points are awarded for the completness of each boy's uniform. There's no bonus for the group all missing the same parts.

This would be classified as an inductive falacy known as Slippery Slope.

Too funny packsaddle! I'm in the middle of Suffolk County, exit 60 off the LID (Long Island Distressway!). My parent's upgraded their cable to IO so maybe I can see Larry the Cable Guy & hopefully without my 2 children around! I usually don't get that much of a chance to watch TV but I'll see if I can remember to check this out. It will save me a ride into Queens! :D

Judy

Gopher Judy (nice moniker, by the way, I won't ask), I get up that way once in a while but when I visit I usually stick around Cedarhurst...with trips to the city for emergency replenishment. Going out on the island is like crossing a time warp. Don't be too anxious, Larry isn't all that great. Only about a 3 on the Jeff Foxworthy scale.

"...let's do the time warp again..."

Packsaddle, I'm glad that you like my moniker! I guess I won't waste my time on Larry the Cable Guy! I do love Jeff Foxworthy!

You can ask about my name, no problem! I'm the AWDL for my son's den & about a year ago we had a new boy join our den & pack from another pack. Well, his parents weren't the easiest to deal with & are rather nervy. They did cause a lot of problems & I felt sorry for their son, who really enjoyed SCouting. They are no longer with us, they quit in November. Well, I was going around handing out forms & other things pertaining to the den & when I came to this particular parent's home I was trying to explain that the hike that we were going to do was just for the Webelos Scout & a parent, not for the whole family. She said that scouting is for the family (maybe not those exact words) & couldn't understand why they all coulnd't go. I told her it was a hike & not a family vacation. Not too long after, I was calling all of the parents regarding something & she called me the Den Leader's "go-fer"! I was a little annoyed! The den leader & I are always in contact via e-mail or phone (he travels a lot for work) & I told him what the parent said & he was really angry. He had to call those parents about something & he said BTW, Judy is not a "go-fer" she's a registered leader & has done the required training & she helps out a lot more than you see. She was rather suprised that he mentioned that to her. So to finish my story, when she said "go-fer" I thought of "Gopher" & the gopher dance from the movie "Caddyshack", which I have the song stuck in my head a lot! I even sign my e-mails to the den leader "Gopher", "Goph" or just "G"! I didn't take it to heart, I just had fun with being a "Gopher"! LOL! Take care & have a great day!

Gopher Judy

OGE wrote (in part)...

"Let the kids run with it, if its offending to local tastes, they will soon fond (sic) out and how they deal with it will be lesson for all as well."

Good advice. I'd be prepared, though, for when a Professional or a Commisssioner come calling with an "on the record" complaint from someone outside of Scouting.

It may not happen, but if it does, life could get really exciting.

John-in-KC

who doesn't watch cable

Coming from a true and proud redneck (my truck only has 5 pro US magnetic ribbons and three flags on it right now and the gun rack, and the scraps of leather in the bed, well you get the idea) , there is nothing racists, sexist, evil or abhorrent about Get er done. For centuries her has been used to refer to cars, boats, planes, etc. In this case, er refers to a task to be completed. So by saying get er done one is simply saying get up off your posterior and finish the job. A good motto for scouts and young men in general; and one that if more people were to prescribe to a lot more would be all gone and dun finished. Let boys be boys I say. Other wise the will turn into, in the words of the governator, girly men

By the way, the fish is back, >