• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's neither racist nor sexist. It's a regional phrase/contraction that I've heard all my life, from folks of various colors, hues, and chromosonal composition. It's in the same vein as "howsyermommanem", "CoCola", and "Imona".

Unfortunately, it's become trendy, just as others have noted, and it will become dated in a year or two, maybe less. I'll share the opinion to leave it alone.....

Trevorum:

I never said the old scout days were perfect, nice try painting me as an extremist. However the BSA has suffered from enough white liberal guilt and does not need anymore. This thread is the perfect example of the new trend to be so concerned with everyones feelings. I for one have not heard from falcon93, who started thread, (or anyone else) why the saying "Git R Done" is possibly racist or even sexist.(This message has been edited by sitrep)

SITREP....couldn't agree more. Nobody wants to go back to white only, no women, no whatever Scouting. But sometimes I believe Scouting has gone too far the other way towards PC, overly sensitive, etc. What I call the "wussification" of Boy Scouts. I also truly believe it is one of the reasons why numbers are down. I was shocked to read that someone thought Git 'er Done was even remotely racist or sexist. It never entered my mind. I don't see or look for "bad" in every thing that goes on. Some people are way too sensitive. My message to them....Git a Life (gee is that sexist or racist). Let the boys live a little. Let them figure out if the phrase is just a fad or sticks.

sitrep, I really apologize if it sounded like I was painting you any color at all. My sidebar comment was not directed at you specifically (or anyone in particular). I was trying to to use satire (not very successfully though) to make the point that changes are often improvements, no matter how dire they may seem to traditionalists at the time.

(Of course my hidden agenda is to imply that BSA may not be finished changing, as America changes.)

Please, let me offer you a belated but warm welcome to the forum! We look forward to sharing the campfire with you.

I personally never felt it racist nor sexist, however - I did hear one person make that remark about the racist issue and I really did not see where he was coming from. Thus the reason for this thread. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

Sexist - one person early in the postings translated 'R and Er which in turn refernces "her"......im not too concerned about that angle.

The meaning behind it for these boys would be --- we do what we need to, to get the job done......either we all do it or none of us do it.

The boys in that unit, they are a new unit coming together fast, go as far as - if 1 scout is not in uniform, they all get that way. If one is missing a scarf, they all start missing theirs real quick.

Call me crazy...

If 'r' is a reference to the feminine gender, then I think that venerable retailer, Toys' R Us may actually be code for something else. If R=Er=Her (as j in kc points out) then the name can be translated as Toys Herus. Now, as many of you know, Herus is a German manufacturer of chastity belts. So, it would appear that Geoffrey the Giraffe could be selling a little more than toys from aisle 12.

semper --

Im still laughing!

Good One!!

Let me throw out this twist, and it is just as out there as the other, but -

What about how its currently the catch phrase for larr the cable guy...think that would bring any negative light on the subject?

I don't think Git R Done is sexist or racist but it doesn't sound right because being from Long Island I don't particularly (sp?) care for the work "GIT" used in place of "get" or "got"! I never heard of Larry the Cable guy, I guess I should get out more, so I've never heard of this saying before. I like "Get It Dunn" or "Got It Dunn", Falcon93 said they were going to spell "done" like their town name of "Dunn". I think that would sound better but it is up to the boys what they want their logo to be.

I'm glad that the boys came together & worked as a team!

Judy

Being in the middle of redneck country of east texas I have seen the "Blue Collar Comedy Tour" of which Larry the Cable guy is a part of as well as the you might be a redneck if and the Here's your sign guy.

I like the "Git r Dunn". It could be sexist if you have seen the comedy and the way Larry sometimes uses it. It has however outgrown that one interpretation to a much broader application like mentioned above. Get anything accomplished.

As far as trendy arn't alot of unusual names trendy. In girl scouts we were the flying purple people eaters and the yellow polka dot bikini(oops at a loss, were we patrols, dens, groups or just a gaggle of girls) anyway you get the idea.

This patrol might be the "Gitrdunn" patrol until they all go slopping thru mud on a hike and decide to be the mudd flopps or something.

Just my thoughts. Have a great day

lynn

So I am traveling this week, and have not been around as much as usual, sorry about that sunglasses thing, and here I am in the heart of FLorida. I get ready to pull out this morning when I see the huge 4 wheeler in the hotel parking lot with the decal GIT'R DONE on the front winshield. Didn't look sexist, racist, or whatever to me. Let the kids run with it, if its offending to local tastes, they will soon fond out and how they deal with it will be lesson for all as well.

Gopher Judy, You'll probably have to go to Queens or maybe Far Rockaway (perhaps Inwood) to hear anything about Larry the Cable Guy. I understand he's been blocked elsewhere on the island - at least that's the way is in the the Five Towns area. ;)

"So, it would appear that Geoffrey the Giraffe could be selling a little more than toys from aisle 12."

Hmmm... you may be on to something. There oughta be a law about these disgusting practices. How can we get this stopped? Don't we have a government office that handles this kind of stuff? And how does this trash talk affect the character of our boys? I'm absolutely appalled that BSA would look the other way on this.

"... if 1 scout is not in uniform, they all get that way. If one is missing a scarf, they all start missing theirs real quick."

Why would they do that? Would the boy without a neckerchief feel inadequate if he's the only one without? When a formal uniform inspection is done, points are awarded for the completness of each boy's uniform. There's no bonus for the group all missing the same parts.