We are Mr Lastname in the troop. My son has taken to calling me Mr GreyEagle just beause he knows it gets my attention. I tend to tune out the hey dads, but his voice with my last name usually stops me. At times we will answer to Mr bobby's dad if the last name is hard or the scout new. and we have our assortment of ethnic tongue twisters, but the idea is to teach the kids the names, not make them easier, after all, they know most of the kids in school and they use their names there as well.

A few scouts will try to use adult first names. just to see what will happen. Usually they get ignored until the correct Mr appears, then its business as usual.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ours is a Mr./Mrs. kinda troop. I'm Mrs. H to most of the scouts, which I take as a compliment (having graduated from the full-blown Mrs. Hxxxx). I'm also Aunt Vicki to my two nephews (our SPL and his brother the first-year) and Mom to my son (soon-to-be Life scout).

Amusing story - my sister is a certified First-Aid instructor and we do a refresher course during two or three troop meetings in January. I'm Treasurer and Personal Management MB counselor. My fin'l report and pep talk to the troop coincided with her refresher course during a meeting this year. I overheard my burly nephew SPL confiding to the SM how lame it felt that his mom and his aunt were running the meeting:

My son calls me Dad. The boys call me and the other scoutmasters, Mr. _____. I sometimes make fun of my son and make him call me, Mr. He just smiles and says, "yes, sir." To me respect should have been the 13th Scout Law. I guess that 13 is an unlucky number and since there isn't a 14th law readily available, "respect" was left off. :)

When a dad or a mom proceeds to carry stuffs or help his/her son, I would politely ask him/her not to do it for the boy. If he/she was teaching the boy a skill, then I do not stop that. If he/she was lecturing the boy, I would again ask him/her to allow the troop's youth leaders (and if needed adult leaders) to handle the situation. 10/10 times they respect that.

1Hour

ps: Semper adding smiley by using colon and close parentheses or semi-colon for a wink! ;)

In our troop all the adult leaders ar Mr. Lastname, although often one adult leader will, when talking to me, refer to them by first name. Also, everyone calls our former scoutmaster by his first name (including when he was SM). I believe that I refer to my father as "Dad", Mr. G just sounds wrong. although I, personally, do not use peoples names much when I talk to them.

Eric

ASPL

We are a Your Dad is your dad everyone else is Mr. or Mrs.

I am rather fond of SIR! YES SIR! however...

and then there is my eldest...who takes great pleasure in refering to me with pet names like 'grey old man' or when feeling particularly brave "Pilsbury dough boy" or my favorite "oh grey one who will hurt me"....hopefully it is just a phase....

Son: Exalted one who wields the checkbook.

Scouts: Mr. Torveaux

In general I think that the tendency for youngsters to address adults by their first name is one step toward overall disrespect. Sure, there is anecdotal evidence of great kids who do it and bad ones who don't but in my experience working with kids, those who show the most outward respect tend to be the most respectful.

Reminds me of when my youngest son joined the troop. He was getting to know the other scouts and their dads and asked one fellow, "Is that your dad?". Without skipping a beat the other fellow replied, "Naw, he's just the old fat guy who lives in our house and eats our food."

When our former SM's son crossed over into the troop, he was instructed to call his dad "Mr. Lastname" so it didn't appear he was receiving any favortism. But I don't think he was fooling anybody. Like most, we are a Mr/Mrs troop. Except for our dance team where all the mothers are "MOM"

our spl's dad was the SM, and has since stepped down(like a month ago), although he is still in the troop. he called him by dad. everyone else called him Mr. Wright, except when it was just older scouts who did stuff outside of the troop with him, then we called him Eugene.

my dad is also in the troop, and our current SM has a son in the troop. we also call our fathers dad, but everyone else calls them Mr. Klaas, and Mr. Gilson.