I was wondering how the rest of you work formalities in your troops? As I told my parents, there are no dads or moms in the troop. It is hard for most parents to not help their son carry something or stuff sleeping bags, etc. Where I am at a loss is what to have my son refer to me as? Does he continue to call me dad or should he call me Mr. X?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My son called me 'Dad' and the rest called me 'Mr.' and we had no problems. Actually, it should work the same as between you and anyone else. They call you a formal name unless you request otherwise. The boys are people just like the rest of us. The same social rules should apply.

we have almost always used first names. The scouts call me Dug, the other SM Carl and my scoutmasters were Doug and Conan. Only our old old scoutmaster, the guy that built our troop and was part of it for 35 years amd has become troop legend was Mr C.

I insist that little KS refers to me as Supreme Allied Commander...just kidding, relax. I'd feel like a horse's petoot if he called me anything other than Dad -- it's the most important job I have; I want full credit for it! I try to treat him like any other Scout though; I like to think that if you watched our Troop for a while and didn't notice the family resemblance (poor kid), you'd never know he was mine.

The rest of the lads call me Mr. H...

KS

Stick with Dad. Shouldn't be any confusion.

I'm still new to this Mr stuff. Spent 20 years either being called Airman or Sergeant P.

I kind of like being called Cary by everyone now, except my kids who call me "Daddy."

Interesting side note, have one youth in my crew that calls his father "Pops". Any other different Dad names out there?

This has become a game between my son and I. I prefer that all the boys address all of us a Mr. or Mrs. My son has heard me say this on at least 100 occasions but he insists on calling me dad. This has evolved to almost theatrical proportions. He says Dad, I say Mr. Foto, he says Dad, I say Mr. Foto and on it goes.

In the end, he always wins!

My children actually started out calling me 'Papa' (which I still prefer). But as soon as they were old enough for peer pressure to take hold they started calling me 'Dad'.

I absolutely rejected the good ol' Southern 'Daddy'...made me think too much about Burl Ives.

At first, when I was a cub leader, some of the other boys were confused and started calling me 'Papa' as well (single mom families). I let them, actually it was kind of endearing, and strangely, the moms didn't mind either. After their first year, though, the confusion subsided and I became 'Mr.' Some of them tried to call me 'Doc' for a while but I couldn't stop thinking about Milburn Stone (character from Gunsmoke). Actually, come to think of it, that one probably fits my personality.

Dad...or Mom :) Funny story about this. Just this past week, I had the pleasure of providing an induction ceremony for the incoming CM as my last official Cubbing duty. One of the first things he did was to present our family with the BSA Family Award that we had earned this past year, so the whole family headed up front. After the closing, a parent came up to me and said he had no idea that our older son was my son. Another overheard and said the same thing. Our son has helped the pack the past two years, serving for a time as den chief, and though he always called me Mom, apparently that was missed and he was "just another Boy Scout". So, I guess I do ok with avoiding favoritism!

My son calls me dad during conversation. But, if he's talking to the troop (he's now the SPL), he will usually refer to me as Mr. or sometimes Mr. Scoutmaster.

We had a thread a while back on this subject, relating to what the boys call you. I find that the young scouts coming in call me Mr. The boys that have served in a senior leadership position usually call me John. I think it comes naturally to them because we get to work much closer together in almost a peer-to-peer type of relationship.

Our scouts are instructed to refer to all leaders as Mr. or Mrs. out of respect. Those of us with more difficult names to pronounce (that Czech background!) are Mr. M or Mr. K.

Funny how that sticks too. I had some correspondence with a former scout recently who is now a PhD and Professor at a major university who still called me Mr. M. I told him, "Pete, you're 35 years old! You can call me Dale." His reply was "I could NEVER do that! It wouldn't feel right!"

I called my father Mr. "X" because he tended to serve the other boys requests before mine when I called him Dad. He tuned out my voice when I said Dad but when I call him by his name, I was just another boy in the troop.

In our Pack, the boys call the leaders Mr. Lastname. My son calls me Dad. Things might change when we get to Boy Scouts.(This message has been edited by resqman)

Ny pardners kids call me "Uncle" Art; he wanted them to show me some respect as there elder, "Mr" was just too much!

The Scouts in my Troop call me "Mr. Art" or "Mr. Bitterman"; all depends on how close we are.

Have gotten a few "Hey You"; those are tactfully ignored!