Do any of you have a Patrol Contest in place that gives them points for things like attendance, being prepared at meetings, Participating, etc.??? I am in the process of forming one for my troop and just wanted to see what you all use.

Thanks

There is the honor Patrol award, described in the Patrol Leader Handbook. The requirements occur over a 3 month period, I believe. And the patrol is competing against a standard, rather than each other.

For individual games, you might want to hand build a simple trophy that gets passed to the patrol who wins the game at the troop meeting or at the camp. Perhaps the winning patrol has to add something to it.

Any contests that last over 3 months get tiresome, and usually one patrol is way ahead of the others, and the other patrols are inclined give up.

The National Honor Patrol award is a great incentive for patrols to work together. Unfortunately, it has some requirements that many patrols can't meet - such as having at least 8 patrol members. Award details are at: http://www.boyscouttrail.com/content/Award/award-272.asp

An example patrol contest like you mention is at:

http://www.troop479.org/dloads/patrolspirit.pdf

Depending on the goals of your contest, you could change what activities are rewarded.

Paul

I know all about the National Honor Patrol because my patrol has earned that in the past.

What we have tried in the past, also, is an patrol competition that gives them a maximum amount of points for attendance (how many of the members are there and on time), uniforming (wearing the correct uniform according to our troop's policy), Being Prepared (coming with pencil, paper, and Scout Handbook), Participation, and a thing we call Fellowship Fun (our patrol games).

I just wanted to know what other troops may have done as far as something like this goos and how you do points.

In my troop we have a contest for the 'top dog patrol'. There are points awarded for attendance, correct uniform, first campsite set up, first site down, best behavior, etc. There has been a slight lack of enthusiasm towards this since it just started, but for me personally, it is just starting to catch on. I think in another year or two this competition will grow into something that everyone wants to win. At the end of the year, the winning patrol is given posetion of the 'top dog flag'. This patrol is allowed to change the flag and it will be a lot of fun once there is more on it other than a picture of the snoopy dog...it is fun

We do have patrol points. Attendance, % scouts in uniform of the day/event, contests, and so forth.

Winning patrol gets first choice of campsite at Summer camp ( same place for many, many years), and the Scoutmasters cook one meal for them.

We outpost all week, open fire cooking, no stoves.