My name is Brian Burns, I am the new SM for Troop 650 in Middleburg, FL. I am fortunate to be at the reigns of a troop well established with adult leaders, scouts and troop gear. We are now working on getting the troop to be a totally boy run organization. Can use some suggestions on ways for SPL to take charge of meetings and be prepared for them.

Brian Burns

First, congratulations to you. I think you should, if you haven't already done so, run the troop junior leader training program for all of the scout leaders in your troop. It will give the boy's a feel for how a troop could be run. Send the adult leaders to Basic Leader training and if possible Wood Badge. Send the SPL to NYLT. I think if you do these things it should fall into place. Oh yeah, you have to learn to stand back and let them do it. This is the hard part. Good luck.

Yes, I agree that standing back and letting the boys do it is the hard part.

Also difficult is trying to reign in adults who are "over anxious" to try to lend a hand to boy leaders who may not be doing things "right!" Our troop is blessed to have several (damned) engineers as parents, and I have had to find outlets for their organized energies which do not include having them take over the patrols.

Just remember, everything is a learning experience for boy leaders. In case of problems, praise performance first, then ask how things might have been done a little differently to prevent "it" from happening again.

Relax, you will do fine. And if not, give someone on the list a shout. We're here to help.

A lot of it will depend upon the eagerness of the SPL to do his job. If the troop has never been boy-run, he may look at the SPL job as a piece of cake, a job that has power and no real responsibility.

But, in reality, the SPL is a very challenging position. You need a boy with sound leadership skills and a desire to take the challenge.

Our first SPL was never motivated to lead. He just liked being the guy in charge. Our second (and current) SPL is much more interested in planning and carrying out the program. He's setting a great standard for our SPLs in the future. I actually hope that our former SPL may serve again, but with a better understanding of what is expected the next time around.

Your guidance will be necessary. Give him tools, advice and - most importantly - confidence to lead. Be there when he needs you, stand in the background when he doesn't.

Welcome to the forum.