Has anyone had any experience setting up/conducting the placement of flags on veterans graves?

Im in the initial stages of working with our village government (they own the cemetery) to have the Troop place the flags in observance of Memorial Day. Trouble is, no one knows what the protocol is if any. I will be checking with local veterans groups for guidance, but was wondering if anyone on the forum has experience with this and could offer some pointers.

Hi

We have been doing this every year since my oldest son was a tiger. He is now 14 and a scout. We have the only Veterans cementry in Northern Nevada in our town. The Veteran's supply the flags.Boys from all 3 Packs and Troops in town and all Girl Scouts show up early the Sat before to place flags.Special tools are provided to help make the holes above the grave markers.But Large screwdrivers work too.After the flags are all placed the older boys make sure they are all lined up straight.The site of all those flags is Awesome. This year they are expecting to place over 4000 flags. It's alot of work but one all the boys look forward to every year. The Boys and Girls are all asked to come to the services in uniform on Monday. The Veteran's make a special point of thanking the kids for helping.As a adult i've heard people say the kids of this generation just don't get the sacrifice that Veteran's have made for them. When I heard things like that I invite them to come out on that Sat. before and talk to any of the 50 plus kids. They know how much was given for them and how much it means.

Thanks for the tips, beasties mom. We'll make sure we bring screwdrivers. Out of curiostiy what size flags do you use? 4x6? 8x12?

Our local cemetery is small, but dates back to 1825. We have veterans from the Revolutionary War up through WWII (according to the inscription on the stones). I'm assuming we have Korean and Vietnam vets, but as of yet we haven't located any (again based on the inscriptions).

Judging from the lack of responses I guess there aren't too many folks who have done this, or perhaps it's as easy as it looks. I'll post back after Memorial Day if there's any good info to pass along.

Thanks again.

We have placed flags now for 2 years. The American Legion supplies the flags (before my husband got the Pack up and running, no one was assisting the 1 or 2 American Legion guys in doing this). I believe they are approx. 10x14 or something like that. Some of the graves already have cast iron tubes (pipes) in the ground specifically for the flags. We have a plan in the works to get pipes next to all the graves.

The graves are SCATTERED through out the cemetery so we have to do ALOT of walking. Another bad thing is that we do not have anything other than the headstones to go by. That means we have to literally walk up and down the rows to place them all. It takes us about 2-3 hours depending on how many show up (usually 20-30 people).

One thing that bugs me is that lots of people will show up to help set them out but very few if any show up to pick them up.

Oh well, at least we've done a little something to honor those that have served.

BTW we have Civil War through Desert Storm veterans out there.

Carol

Thanks for the additional info beasties mom.

cubbingcarol, have you checked with your local library? We were fortunate to find that a local genealogical society had already catalogued the cemetery and included a map. The information was published in a pahmphlet and available at the library. Even the cemetery custodians weren't aware of the pamphlet. Thanks for you info as well.

As my troops CO is the American Legion, we have been placing flags at all of the graves of veterans for many years. The american legion provides the flags, I am not sure who picks them up. We too have to go down each row reading each stone checking to see if they are veterans. We do not use any tools, and are able to get them in the ground by hand. If no map is avalible of which veterans are where, it could make a good eagle project (although some may argue that it only benifits the troop, the arguement can be made that having the map will be good for everyone).

Back in my scouting youth our CO, too, was an American Legion post. Every Memorial Day our troop placed flags at about half a dozen different places. Most were cemeteries but there was also private grave at a farm and a veterans memorial at a high school. In every case, there were already markers in place at each site. These were metal stakes stuck in the ground with about an eight inch diameter medallion (don't remember exactly what it was but it looked kinda "starbursty"). These markers had a place to insert the flagstick. At each location, we'd place the flags, assemble, salute, and have the bugler play taps. Then we'd move on to the next place.

I have been in scouts in our town for 6 years now. It wasn't up until I started a new pack and troop 2 years ago that the veterans were honored.

The VFW's approached me within a month of starting and asked us if we minded having a sponsor. Overtime, they purchased our American flag, and helped pay for most of our pack flag. They also have provided us with the 400 flags we currently place at the 2 town cemetaries. I liked the idea the post just above mine does, playing taps before going to the next location. When we obtain a buglar, I want to implement that.

It blows my mind at how little scouting in our area has observed its heritage and heros of yester-year.

If your troop (anyone who is reading this) does not honor your town/cities true leaders, start doing so immediately. If you need resource for flags, contact your local VFW's. They have grants and such through which to purchase flags.