Ideas to Pump Up FOS!!!

I know some of you veteran scouters have seen the ebb and flow, the tilted heads and eyes when the subject of Friends of Scouting comes up. Seems guardians, parents and scouters buck the idea, and even the importance, of the Friends of Scouting program -- especially if they contribute $5, $10 or $20 nearly every month for one thing or another for their own boy(s) and/or a unit.

So, my question is this:

What are some of your best ideas for kicking off a FOS program at a Blue&Gold event or a Boy Scout event to rev up the excitement, to get people to dig into their pockets and wallets right then OR to sign a card and return it before they leave?

My next question:

What are some of the most effective methods of followup?

Finally, these questions:

Are there any short videotapes or CDs available to help w/FOS. Are there any scripts that can be tailored to a specific unit?

Biggest one I know of is to compare local Council cost of day camp or Scout camp to similar for-profit venues. My Council professionals tell us FOS presenters a good chunk of FOS is to offset the difference between the actual cost per youth and the CHARGED cost per youth.

For MODERATORS: Why is this an advancement topic??? (You may edit this if you move the topic)

YIS John

Sorry!

It really isn't an advancement topic.

I made the mistake of starting it from the advancement area when I should have moved to another area.

It should be moved.

I'm sure I/we will get more responses if it is moved.

In advance, thanks!

I seem to get roped into more than my fair share of FOS presentations. I think the reason is that I'm there anyway and may as well do something. I'm there because people invite me as the District Chairman and we as a key 3 try to attend every event that we are invited too. We rarely if ever all get to attend the same event.

Even if we are invited to attend, we do insist that we have also been invited to do a FOS presentation. The unit has to want the presentation.

I have to admit to not liking B&G's for the presentation, there is way too much other stuff going on, but being as we take what we are given, we just go with the flow.

I think it is very important that the FOS guy remembers that he is a guest. No way should the FOS presentation be the main event.

While I have used video presentations for community groups (Elks, Lions and Rotary) I have never used them in a unit. It seems a little too much to ask and the set up takes to long. I try to keep the entire presentation to about ten minutes.

I don't know about revving up excitement?

I try to make sure that I believe what I'm saying and talk from the heart. I never apologize for asking them for money - Because I'm not sorry. I want everyone to know how vital Friends of Scouting is. I always use Friends of Scouting, never FOS. I use my Sunday manners, using please and thank you a lot. In fact you can't over use Please and Thank You.

I don't ask for an amount. I tell the truth that the Council spends $125.00 a year per Scout to deliver the program at its present level.I remember to tell them that this is a voluntary program. We understand that every family has its own unique financial resources and responsibilities. We simply ask that they look at the value of scouting not only to their family but to their community and make a pledge that reflects that value.

I don't try to go into details of how the money is spent. I don't know all the details. One year I talked about the cost of buying a new tent for camp. I later found out that a company donates the money for so many new tents each year!!

I do smile. I do wear full uniform. Where possible I try to involve the Scouts.

Most of all I do try to stress the value of Scouting. I avoid bad mouthing any one or any group.

When I'm done I have an adult collect the cards and before I leave or they leave we announce how much was collected or pledged.

I thank the Leaders for inviting me and allowing me to take up so much of their valuable time. I tell them what a great job they have done, while gently reminding the guys who were busy doing something that they too can fill in a card before I leave.

Eamonn

This is my third year as a FOS presenter and this is what I do. (Some people may not like this and others will...the main thing is that it works).

1. Review the official script.

2. Throw away the official script.

3. Talk from your heart about the Scouting program and use official script stuff when needed if you feel it's needed.

4. Never talk about unit goals in front of unit leaders.

I make the FOS presentation entertaining. My opening line is "If Mr Scoutmaster/Cubmaster will write me a check for 1000 dollars you won't have to hear me talk." This breaks the ice and you get a few laughs.

I hate using the "suggested amount you should give is..." Instead I use, "please give what your heart tells you".

Keep the presentation to 5 minutes.

Hope this helps.

I'm with purce when it comes to opening lines. I like to open up with, does everyone know what Friends of Scouting is? Some, if not most, hands go up. I smile and say, "That's right . . . I'm here to ask for money!"

That usually draws a few laughs and breaks the ice.

Unc.

I like to use the boys in front of me. I ask them if they like to have fun...then ask them again to get them to almost yell...this personalizes what you're doing to the parents. Then, when talking about ranks and age groups, I have the appropriate boys stand up...Mom & Dad love to see them. Then, whene the comment comes up in the presentation that the family contribution is $140 a year, I mention that it is only $10 and change a month, just a couple of stops at Starbucks,...and isn't your son worth that?

Larry Potts

Trailhead District Family FOS chair