Last Saturday, my oldest son participated in his first crossover as a member of a newly-formed OA ceremonies team. This was the team's first crossover, and they were missing two boys (down with the flu), so two of the boys were doing multiple parts.

I was so proud of the boys. They did their parts beautifully (for their first time) and imparted the right degree of solemnity to the pack's crossover at their Blue and Gold banquet.

My vent? The behavior of many of the Cub Scouts at this pack event. Sure, it was the end of the evening, but I know that in my younger son's pack, behavior such as I witnessed would not be permitted or tolerated. Boys wandered in and out of the cafeteria; others ran around the pillars; others played with the 75th anniversary balloons that decorated the tables. I felt so bad for the second-year Webelos who were crossing over--all eyes should have been on them as they crossed the bridge to Boy Scouting, but many of their pack-mates ignored them, and also made it difficult for those who wanted to watch the ceremony to pay attention. (Of course, I also felt bad for the ceremonies team, who were trying to project and speak their lines over the many distractions.)

I don't know that anything can be done--I don't know the cubmaster of this pack at all, and it will be a whole year until this occasion comes around again. But should I have said something to him about the actions of his Scouts? If they are this unruly at a solemn event like a crossover, what must they be like at other times?

Guess I don't really need an answer--I just wanted to share my experience, and maybe encourage other leaders to perhaps prep their boys in the proper way to act during Scouting ceremonies.

Elizabeth

starwolf,

I attended a crossover last week to help receive a Webelo into our den. OA did the ceremony and what you experienced is pretty typical for a Pack. It was pretty much the same when my son crossed too. You've got to remember that in most venues (school cafeterias) it is next to impossible to hear much of anything going on unless microphones are involved. Sad thing is, there was a mic at last week's crossover and I still couldn't hear a blooming thing that was said by anyone. It wasn't just rowdy boys, it was a lousy sound system. Also, keep in mind that you have 1st thru 5th graders who have spent an hour to an hour and half in a room. Crossover is always at the end and they are pretty bored and wound up by then. I don't know how you managed to keep your pack in check, but what you saw is pretty typical.

When the OA does the ceremony - it helps to have an emcee (the Cubmaster) who is aware of what is going to happen. He should make a brief statement about the solemnity of the upcoming ceremony and politely ask for quiet/attention.

We always dim the lights - that seems to quiet down the Tigers. We then have the boys make a grand entrance, very quiet, stomping of feet so the only sound one hears is the bells on the "Indians" ankles as he slowly enters the "campground." The boys usually have the ceremony down, they need to learn how to project their voices. It is amazing how most 6 - 11 yr. olds look up to 15 - 17 yr olds. Our ceremony team has the right mix of fear, solemnity, and awe to hold the attention of the audience.

Another problem is most B&Gs last way to long. They need to make sure the Cubs get a chance to get up and move around before a ceremony such as this takes place. Expecting 7 year olds to remain seated and quiet for more than 20 minutes or so at a time is expecting a lot.

We found that we a problem with parents leaving early. By the time the Crossover ceremony began only the Webelos II Parents and the clean up team were left.

We decided to have the Arrow of Light ceremony in February and the Crossove ceremony in March.

We do the Crossover after dark at a campfire. The dark tends to slow the little guys down.

We have a Karaoke Machine that runs on batteries that we use as our sound system.

Another thing we do different is we don't push every Den to receive their Advancement (Tiger , Wolf etc.) at the Blue and Gold Banquet. They get it when they are finished. No rush we have 3 more months. Last year they trickled in which was nice. We ended up doing one rank a month. We had a cake or ice cream after each one.

Thanks, everyone, for your replies.

Someone asked how we keep order in our pack. Our (now former) Cubmaster was a start on time, end on time kind of guy who brooked no nonsense. At our blue-and-gold, once people were eating, he did the lower dens' awards. Things kept moving and by the time dinner was over, everyone had their awards except the second-year Webelos. Then all attention was turned to the AOL and crossover ceremony. Only after that was completed did we have the entertainment portion of the program. So . . . everyone stuck around, and everyone paid attention.

On Thursday, my younger son's pack will be having its first B&G under our new Cubmaster. I am almost dreading it, because I've seen this guy in action and so far this year, I haven't been real thrilled with his leadership. Older son won't be at his brother's B&G--he'll be at another pack, doing another OA ceremony crossover.

Elizabeth

You know, I would consider my pack to be the most hyper boys of the school. But last night they made me proud. Before Crossover I told them that it was something they, themselves, would be doing in the future so could they show the boys that were crossing over the respect they would like at their crossover. Then I did a few min. of "Lets get it out of your system" and let them yell and scream with me egging them on (Is that the best you can do?). Our outgoing CM then gave his "leaving the pack speach" and passed on the CM title to me . His speech was long, 4 pages, but the boys were quiet and attentive. I had to keep checking to make sure they hadn't left. Then I did the Crossover Ceremony and they were just as quiet and respectful. I was so proud of them and I let them know it. It was a Great Evening.

By the way, the flaming Neckercheif was a hit, It awed the boys and the parents. Funny thing is, there are no photos of it. When it was over the parents were asking "Can you send me a copy of your photo?" to everyone else. It seems that they were all so enthralled that no one thought to take a picture ;)

For the first time I can remember our boys were a real pack.

Kristi