Dual unit registrations

I know that a scout can be simultaneously registerd in a troop and in a crew, and I am aware that Webelos are often registered in both their outgoing pack and their incoming troop for the entire year of their crossover. However, this last weekend I discovered that one of our new scouts is registered in two troops, ours and his LDS Ward, and plans to be active in both. This is a new one on me. Is this kosher?

Although not the final word, I did a little research and could find nothing prohibiting a youth from being registered in more that one Boy Scout Troop.

Maybe some of the professional or district or council staffers on here can provide more definte information.

The young man must find something of interest in both units. I say that if it is not prohibited, let him be registered in both. I know lots of adults that are dual and even multiple registered.

If the young man is Mormon, I don't think he has an option about being a member of that troop. It's pretty much decided for him, as I understand it. Perhaps his school buds are in the other troop. Could get confusing when he gets advancements...which troop gets the "credit" for it?

If the boy is registered in an LDS Troop, there is certainly nothing kosher about it.

As for a youth being registered in two units of the same program, I have never heard of this. Part of BSAs fixation on registration is to insure that the boys record of achievements resides in one place, and that he is only credited once with each achievement. To me this sounds a little fishy, scales or no scales.

He is certainly welcome to register with two different types of units, troop/crew/team/post.. but two troops. I think he should pick one and stick with it.

Mr. T,

It does sound strange. Sorry I am too lazy to look up an answer. His plan to be active in both sounds unrealistic - sooner or later, he will have to make a choice and my guess is that it will be sooner. You might want to sit down with him (and his parents) now to understand how they see this working, especially from an activity and advancement perspective. Somebody is not thinking clearly about this. This could definitely be a situation where two halves do not make a whole, and the scout and both units will be shortchanged by the arrangement. Hopefully, one of the forum members will give you the definitive BSA answer that it can't be done. If not, then my advice would be to help this boy out by asking him to choose one troop only.(This message has been edited by SemperParatus)

He can not be registered in 2 troops at the same time. If you look back in the archives this has been discussed before. A youth may only be registered in 1 troop at a time. Since venturing is a different program that he can be in a troop and a crew at same time.

As for Webelos being registered in Pack and Troop, that also is not allowed. When he is eligable for troop membership and elects to join his cub scout membership is transfered to Boy Scouts. Once he is registered in a Troop is is finished with Cubs

He can not be registered in 2 troops at the same time. If you look back in the archives this has been discussed before. A youth may only be registered in 1 troop at a time. Since venturing is a different program that he can be in a troop and a crew at same time.

As for Webelos being registered in Pack and Troop, that also is not allowed. When he is eligable for troop membership and elects to join his cub scout membership is transfered to Boy Scouts. Once he is registered in a Troop he is finished with Cubs

We had this a few years back. Nothing to do with any church. Two brothers decided that they wanted to belong too two Troops.

It seems that this is OK with National. However our SE made a Council Rule that all youth can only belong to one Troop, Pack or Crew.

Strange thing was that one Troop was an active out and about Troop and the other was a Merit Badge Mill.

Eamonn.

I seem to remember hearing that ScoutNet only allows a youth to be registered in one Troop. This makes sense in a great many ways.

On the other hand, there is no reason a Scout could not someday decide to join a Crew or Ship, or even multiple Crews. After all, since a Venturing Crew can choose its primary focus, it would be possible to be in multiple Crews without repeating stuff.

However, one Boy Scout Troop (at a time) should be able to deliver the promise of Scouting. If the unit is not doing that, then that unit is failing its members.

Now, if someone who is a member of another troop wanted to go along on one of my troop activities I would be all for it. After all, that is a possible recruit. Also, multi-troop activities are not uncommon for things like Philmont. I know that when my troop sent a contingent in 2001 that while it was just my troop on paper, we also had 5 members of another troop that went with us since we had extra spots.

Perhaps someone who knows the registration policies and procedures, or who is more familiar with ScoutNet could clarify this.

Interesting that this topic just hit the forum. Cannot offer a definitive reference or source, but within the past week our DE replied in the affirmative (after checking with council) when asked if a boy can register with more than one troop; in our case troops in different councils.

The boy has just bridged from Webelos. Our situation is a boy who resides with his mother in another part of the state, but is with his father on weekends. Dad is registering him with our troop, Mom with one where she lives.

We're having the same trouble figuring this one out. Which troop signs of on advancements? Does each troop simply accept signed off requirements from the other? Must individual requirements be completed with one troop or the other? Which troop conducts SM conferences and BORs? Which troop is responsible for his advancement records? How will he be "active" in both? (Our meetings are on Monday evenings - he will be with his mother 2 hrs drive away - so I can't imagine he will be attending many, if any of our meetings.) In this case will he be attending meetings with one troop and outings with the other? How will this affect the other Scouts in the troop, when he cannot take part in any of the planning for an upcoming outing - menus, patrol activities, tenting arrangements, etc.? Will he be viewed as "just along for the ride" if only attending outings?

We do not wish to deny any boy the opportunity to participate in the Scouting program and realize that our program must at times adapt to provide that opportunity to boys in difficult situations. But we sure are searching for guidance on how to work this one out. It's the flip-flopping part that has us bewildered - if it were a case of he's in one place for part of the year and with us for another, we could see it working out with a simple agreement or understanding with the other troop. In the present situation there would seem to be no real continuity of any kind.

Any ideas or advice is appreciated.

Eagle74,

I sure can understand your dilemma, wish I could offer some advice - other than talking with the scoutmaster of the other troop to try and coordinate somehow.

In your situation, I guess I don't see why he would be in your troop. He will be attending troop meetings near his mom's. If he's going to go camping one weekend a month, wouldn't it make more sense for him to do it with the other troop and either the father doesn't have him that weekend, or the father travels to the trip destination to spend the weekend camping with his son. I take it the father is already traveling 2 hours each way to pick him up anyway. Very strange.

If yu go back to Discussion in sep 03. The registration procedures manual states, and I quote Dsteele who is a scouting professional,

"Troop members (youth) may not multiple register in another troop." "May not" is underlined and in bold print.

I asked our registrar yesterday, it has not changed. So the Official answer if your DE looked in the Book is NO, 1 troop is all that is allowed. We have youth in our district like this, infact I have a family like this in our troop. What ever he does with another troop he gets credit for if he brings a note from the troop he camps of works with when away from his home troop. He just has to work at keep straight at getting proper credit.

My son is dual registered but so is all the troop. We combined with the LDS troop because of there were not that many boys participating. The boys are all dual registered so if one kid rides with another troops car on the trip permit, he is covered. When the boys went to Summer camp 220 miles away the boys went as one troop even though they were from 2 saved the kids money since there were enough boys to fill their camp site. And they all had a blast.The LDS troop has their own Committee but so do we. Town troop Committee is more active working with the boys, but the Church boys parents take on Transportation.

The SPL is a member of 2 troops and 2 Crews. He decided which Crew activity he wants to go one. He went Snowboarding a couple weeks ago with the Church kids. And next week he is doing the Blue and Gold as a SPL and Town Crew Member. After he completes his Eagle he'll still stay connected to the Troops but will only be active in the Town Crew. He likes the girls doing most of the planning!!

Mr SemperParatus,

Since I'm a Scouter as well as a divorce`, I'm going to answer your question from my perspective: Sometimes Dad has had to fight, hard, in court, to gain custody rights. Lots of reasons for that, none of them worth going over here. Short version is Dad may not be willing to release time with son to Mom. Mom may also be inflexible.

If Dad believes local Scouting program is strong and solid, and that son will develop quality relationships in the Troop, THEN ...

I agree with those above: Dual registration is Scouting is dumb.

I also submit that a Scout is Friendly: Implied task to us adults is to get together with a couple of phone calls and see if SM of troop in Mom's town is willing to accept signoffs from SM of troop in Dad's town.

My thoughts only.

YIS John