Plants What is a good plant for cub scouts to grow

Hello everyone!

I am going to have my den plant seeds in small pots. Does anyone have any ideas on a simple but cool plants for them to grow. I was thinking like Strawberries but that is an outdoor type plant. I want a plant that would make the boys want to take care of it.

Oh to add to it, I need to have it ready by tommorow night (Friday) so I need a plant I can just plant seeds.

THANKS!

Your in Scouting,

Chris

Chives?

No. Grow sunflowers and see who can grow the tallest. Then have Sunflower seed spiting contests.

I have never heard anyone say "Hey Kid that's a good looking looking bunch of chives."

Eamonn(This message has been edited by Eamonn)

With kids, you need something successful and with quick results.

Repotting starter plants is always a winner - decorate the pots for gifts or centerpieces.

Bean plants grow fast and they get tall. You can literally see them grow overnight.

Sprouting carrot tops or potatoes are fun - pop them with toothpicks in water.

My favorite is to plant wheat or rye in shallow pans. It sprouts fast, looks like a lil miniature grassy lawn - you can create lil scenes in it with toy soldiers, lego or playmobile, and it's a wonderful treat for housecats to nibble.

Peace out,

Anne in Mpls

If you have the time and a good sunny window, you can grow about any veggie or flower for planting in the summer. I like to start about any long season veggie, but flowers such as marigolds are great. Of course, make sure that you use high grade potting soil to avoid "damping off". Jiffy pots are great for seed starting and are thier own "pots". Good luck!

Seeds don't always work - esp as kids tend to overwater or under water as they get bored before the plants poke up.

if you are going to use SEEDS - pick something large - like a bean or sunflower, so they can see the seed split and start. it's easier if you start them between wet paper towels or seed starter with the group, and then plant them individually from those that actually germinate.

better yet - use some kind of pretty, easy to grow houseplant that roots easily from cuttings -

like pothos (what you see hanging in all the restaurants and dr's offices - green w/ white streaks and viney - VERY easy)

or wandering jew ( don't remember the proper name, also a hanging plant - purply/green)

or coleus ( sp?) that you can start from seed and they have many different colors - magenta, purples, many shades of green and yellow, the boys could see everyone have a different color pop up. they can be started inside, and planted outside for color once the weather warms up. they also start well from 'pinching' a start off an existing plant.

Laura

BEANS ....good old green beans... and use clear plastic 'old fashion' style 'glasses'. have each boy plant say three bean seeds 'equi-distances' around the side of the glass so they can see the seed as it sprouts and even watch root growth...my den loved it...might want to put a table spoon or three of fish tank gravel so the guys don't drown their beans....

and they can set them out this spring and eat a few beans this summer!

Yupper, beans are very easy to start, and are't nearly as prone to damping off. (Herbs in general are terrible with damping off - I would't recommend them as an introduction to gardening unless using starter plants.)

Glass jars are very easy to use for getting the bean seeds sprouting: Dampen some papertowelling, roll it up qand let it unroll up against the sides inside the jar, and slip the seeds between the papertowel and the side of the jar. Darkness also helps - just put the jar away in a kitchen cupboard for a few days. Check on em every day, moisten the towelling as needed.

But beans also grow very very easily just pushed into a pot of soil - it's more like what kids "think of" as "planting something", but then you dont get to watch the roots develop.

Pumpkin seeds also grow quite easily.