New Scout Info Packet for Parents

Our troop is experiencing some growth and I hit upon an idea today to smooth the transition for everyone involved. I am going to put together a packet with the following:

Scout Application

Meeting info - Times and Place

Troop Resource Survey

Troop Annual Calendar

Troop Phone Numbers

Where to purchase uniforms and other needed Scout items ie; Handbook

We have always been a bit remiss in this aspect, and with 8 Webelos getting ready to cross over I feel this will help answer some of the questions their parents will naturally have.

With all the experience out there, can anyone think of things to enhance this? I am going to our district Roundtable thursday and will ask the other Scouters for ideas as well. Any and all input is appreciated & welcome.

YIS

Bryan

baschram645; I think you will find the packet to be quite beneficial to your new scouts & parents. Our troop has done this for a number of years. We usually have an info packet done up in a nice folder that is given to the boys during the bridging ceremony if they are coming over from Cubs, or have them available for a New Scout's first meeting otherwise.

Our packets contain pretty much the same info you mention. We also include a note about registration fees, troop dues, and any other expenses such as campout activity fees (varies), when patrol food money is due for campouts, etc. that parent's should expect. The packet contains contact information for the primary troop leaders only.

We add to the packet at a parent's meeting - usually the first or second meeting - with info about camping gear that the scout will need, a short explanation of differences between cubs and boys scouts (parents don't sign off requirements, etc.), any troop-specific policies/rules, etc., who to contact in case of emergencies while their son is on an outing (usually Scoutmaster's wife, Asst. Scoutmaster's wife - they will have info on how to contact us) and other miscellaneous information. We save the troop roster for the parent's meeting or until after the boy is registered so that the information isn't being distributed to those without a need to know - ours includes scout's name, parent name(s), address, phone number, and also email address when provided.

Bryan, this was the main topic of one of our recent roundtables; folks from different troops brought in either their by-laws, troop policies, or parent handbooks.

I have a copy of one parent handbook that I thought would be particularly helpful to a new parent. It included items like:

Committee Chairman's statement (welcome letter)

General info on troop (meeting day/time/location, summary on how a troop runs, names of volunteers)

Parent expectations

Uniform (parts of, placement of patches)

Overview of Scout Oath, Law, Slogan, Motto

Financial info (dues, fundraisers, camp costs)

I'm working on the same thing, only at the cub level. I'm thinking back to when my son first joined - what questions I had, etc. - and am applying it to our parent handbook. Hope that helps a bit.(This message has been edited by TundraHawk)

Information packets are a real good idea. However I think that it is really very important to visit the parents at their home. This really does open up two way communication, it gives the parents a great opportunity to meet the guy or girl who they are trusting with the most important person in their lives. They can openly ask questions that they might feel awkward about asking at a meeting and address delicate problems that their Lad might have. He might have a learning disability, which makes the Handbook not such a great tool. He might have 101 things, that a home meeting will bring out.

This meeting also offers the leader a opportunity to see where and how things are in the Lads home and you can find out if the parent has something that could benefit the troop. Maybe a skill or a lot of time that could be put to good use.

I also found it was really handy to have a strong Leader - Parent relationship if the Lad had missed a couple of meetings.When I phoned or went to the house the parents met me as a family friend not some name that was heard but never seen.

It does take a little time, but the dividends can be enormous for the Lad and the troop.

Eamonn.

I just had this discussion with the CC of one of my CS units. First and foremost she wanted to see information from the Troops about financial issues; ie: costs (including sumer camp), fundraisers, scout accounts, uniform needs, and equipment needs. Along with how monthly campouts are financed.

Secondly, she wanted to see real requirements about participation; what are the expectations of the unit.

This woman, along with a number of other parents from her pack who last year sent boys to different troops, were very upset (in hindsight) about the lack of information they have been given by the various Troops.

baschram645

what they all said! though, I would hate to be a SM and have to find time to vist the homes of our 30 new New Scout Patrol Members last year. Plus do the troop thing and have a family life... nice for a small troop hard for a larger troop unless you delegate...

PM me and I'll ship you a few letters and equipment lists that we add to the packet...

We do our 'official' info swap at the first parent meeting rather than the boys cross over although we have most of the infomation on our web site and will give parents temporary pass-words to check us out (and we have been working with the Webelos at several events so must of the 'work' has been done already. At cross-over, we have already gotten back the Scout application and fees...to be ready for recharter and we have found that the material packet seemed to get lost in the one week between the two meetings!